Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This 1975 GL1000 was een revolutionary new model : a liquid-cooled flat-four engine with a displacement of 999 cc, an electric starter with a detachable kickstart pedal in case of emergency,

I just acquired one of these and am in the process of trying to get it to run...where is this kickstart of which you speak? I noticed a place on the right side of the bike on the frame that seems to go into the drive shaft and over it is some kind of plastic cover. Is that where it goes? Also, where is it? I am unable yet to get into the tank cover lid as the lock mechanism is jammed up. Is it stored perhaps in there?

Also, while I'm on the subject of things I don't know ;) I was reading the final gear oil thread and I have a question about fluids...on that same right side of the engine there is a cap with a big flat blade across the top that unscrews. It looks like the drive shaft is under there....is that a fluid pour hole or what? It looks pretty dry in there...what is it?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

The cap with the flat blade is the oil filler cap!

The detachable kick starter lever is stored under the ring side false tank cover and look on the left side of the bike just in front of the side cover, recessed is a rubber plug which pulls out the the kick starter drive lever.

The plastic cover/plug you are speaking of more than likely is the swing arm pivot cover.....

Enjoy getting this one to run!

The are great bikes!:jumper:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

The kickstarter fits to a lever at the back center of the engine according to my clymer manualand that plug with the flat blade is where you add engine oil.:) The gear oil is added at the rear end thru a plug on the lower end of the diff.

Gene:D:11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

If you can ever kick start it you are a better man than I. I tried with mine in good tune and still could not kick start it. Apparently Honda realized the futility because they dropped the option.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
If you can ever kick start it you are a better man than I. I tried with mine in good tune and still could not kick start it. Apparently Honda realized the futility because they dropped the option.
Thats funny cause I couldnt get mine started either!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Brojees wrote:
They say they dropped it due to their self-assured sense that the electronic ignition wouldn't fail....go figure huh? ;)

I found the port....looks kind of like a spark plug boot. Now I have to get the cover off and see if the actual kick start lever is in there.:baffled:

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

rOmiLaYu wrote:
Brojees wrote:
They say they dropped it due to their self-assured sense that the electronic ignition wouldn't fail....go figure huh? ;)

I found the port....looks kind of like a spark plug boot. Now I have to get the cover off and see if the actual kick start lever is in there.:baffled:

I'll let you know how it goes.
Doesnt your starter work?

PS: Now that you found the lever, please note the plug in the engine just in front of the lever (has a bolt head), keep in mind thats very-very soft aluminum and covers the shaft youll need to acccess to manually crank the engine over to set timing! :jumper:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Not sure if the starter works or not....Whenever I hit the button, it just clicked at the battery....checked the batt and it's dead, so I'm charging it and putting in a new ignition switch this week....I was just asking about the kick start in case the starter didn't work, I wanted to see if the engine ran.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Mine didnt run when i got her, She had sat for nine years off and on.

Had lots of fun in the last 7 months getting her right again!

Best get yourself a shop manual andclymer for guidance!

:grinner:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I've got a Clymer...looking to get a Honda shop manual....they are good things to have. :jumper:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I've had to use my kickstarter a few times due to low battery problems. I don't know that I could start it with kicker alone but,when kicking I also used electric starter and got her going. If you go to a site called [randalls cycle shack] he has a few tricks for using the kicker that I haven't gotten into yet. I believe this man to be a very good source of info on the 1000's and a must see site for anyone with one. I too have a 1975 gl1000 and a lot to learn !I ALSO FEEL THIS SITE IS A MUST SEE! great folks willing to share knowledge like no other site I've found. happy trails. finner

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The gl1000 kicker is almost impossible to use. I'm not a small m,an and I and several others tried the kicker on a gl1000 a few years ago. We ended up push starting the bike instead.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

For some of you guys out there with the ol' GL1000... I know that if you have a aftermarket fairing in can be difficult to open the tank side to get the lever out. Then once you get the lever out of ther and insert it into the engine... It works the best when the engine is warm... Cold start morning you might end up with a beat & bruised leg...

I got a friend that got on of these darn things... :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

OK, well I got the battery charged up and decided to see if it would start...and suprise, it didn't.:X It just clicked. The solenoid just clicks and the starter doesn't do anything.

Does that sound like a bad solenoid? Seems to me that if it was good then current would go through it and the starter would turn over, right? I've never heard a solenoid click like that....any ideas? b/c from listening to you guys the kickstart, if I have it, isn't a viable option anyhow.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

I had a '76 some years back with the kick starter. Tried it a few times just to see what would happen. You're way better off pushing it to start! Made the old harleys look easy. The solenoid on mine went bad. The way I tested it (if I remember right) was to just use a screwdriver to connect the two big wires on it. That bypasses the soleniod and wires the starter in direct so make sure you are in nuetral!!! And don't be surprised by the big spark, the starter draws a bit of current.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OK, I tried that wildman and nothing happened. There are three wires on my solenoid...two big ones and a small one. The two big ones, one goes to the battery, the other down into the frame and then another small gauge wire goes up under the seat to a harness coupler (?) So I bolted all three of them together and hooked it up hot, put it on the center stand, hit the button and nothing...just silence, no click pop or anything....does that mean the starter is dead? How hard is that to replace? Is it an engine out thing? It doesn't look like it is.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

The large gauge wire that goes down into the frame is the power wire for the starter. Make real sure your battery is holding a good charge or even hook up a jumper battery. I got a great deal on my present bike because the battery wasn't holding a good charge! Thenhook the one large wire from your battery to the large one that goesinto the frame. That bypasses the starter button and the soleniod and connects the starter directly to the battery. The only thing left to be wrong is the starter or the connection of the power wire to the starter.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

When I connect the battery wire straight to the starter wire should it come straight to life? Or should I have to still hit the switch? It should just jump right on, shouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I rode a '75 from new till I bought the 1100 and was only able to kick it started once. The engine was warm and it had a fresh tune-up. The kick starter is very good for turning the engine over to set the timing. Since the '75 had a Vetter fairing, one thing I did was remove the hing pins on the faux tank sides. This allows them to be removed without removing the fairing first.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

rOmiLaYu wrote:
When I connect the battery wire straight to the starter wire should it come straight to life? Or should I have to still hit the switch? It should just jump right on, shouldn't it?
Yes! If you run a wire from the positive post of the battery directly to the terminal on the starter it should turn over. Make sure you use a heavy gauge wire and more importantly, make sure the bike is in neutral! If the key is on it should start, barring any other problems.

Bob :11grey:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.