Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Hey that was'nt too far back for me, I was o-saes then, checking out the super high technos Euro bikes on der Autobahn lol, did'nt even see any Gl's turned into cafe bikes back then, but the BMW was king there in Germany!

I've had a few oldies in my day a RD20, think that was a Yamaha, a Kawa 550LTD which I foolisly rode all the way to Chicago only to have ta ride a Greyhound home since the motor kept o-heating, sold it for 250 bucks to my cousin lol had a 750 CBK, and only one other Goldwing, never nuthin fancy just loved ta ride, now I'm wondering if it was all worth it!

Don't know when I'll be able ta get the starter clutch back in shape, Honda is so high priced cept for those who (and I wish I were) are able to buy new or newer bikes.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
I rode a '75 from new till I bought the 1100 and was only able to kick it started once. The engine was warm and it had a fresh tune-up. The kick starter is very good for turning the engine over to set the timing. Since the '75 had a Vetter fairing, one thing I did was remove the hing pins on the faux tank sides. This allows them to be removed without removing the fairing first.
Interesting you mentioned removing the hinge pins. I did the same thing on my '77 Gold Wing. It had a Lee's Starr fairing which was designed just like the Vetter fairing.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

rOmilaYu, it seems no one give you definite answer on the oil loss when pulling the starter. on the 1000 motor there is a big surprize and mess when the starter is removed with the crankcase filled. Evidently the starter position was changed slightly on the 1100's and no loss isincurredwhen pulling starter.

No provisions made after the 1000's to have a kick starter. 1100's wasa new casting andaccess hole for a crank deleted :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Hi

I googled a question on where to put the kickstart, couldn't see it for looking - on the right hand side of the bike ????

Brill found it straight away with your guidance.

Bike is a Gl1000 in red with a watsonian adult and child side car- not been run since 1983 so a bit to do yet.

Anyway engine is free. coolant looks good just need to sort clean petrol out, battery and points??? It may then run?

Cabernet

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you need to do a starter refresh. Look in the manuals section on this site, it is not difficult, nor expensive if you do it yourself. If the bike is in running condition, I would suggest you try push starting it, I have done that with my 1100 and it is quite effective. Once you get the bike rolling, (in first gear with the clutch in) pop the clutch, i.e. engage it and then disengage it quickly, this will spin the motor and it should start or at least fire. You may have to do this a couple of times to get it going and then you are off to the races.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

A suggestion for the starter.

Remove the three long bolts that hold the nose peice onto the the main body of the starter. When you pull it apart, hold it so that the nose peice is pointed down so you don't drop the planetary gears inside.

Look at the ring gear that surrounds the planetary gears and note if it is a steel or nylon ring gear. If it's nylon, look very closely for where the key notch is on the gear, be sure it's in place.

I've had 2 starters with the nylon gear and the torque of turning the engine over caused the gear to jump out of place and then the key was creating just enough of a flat spot to prevent the starter from turning.

Also it it is nylon, trash it, the gear not the starter, replace with steel gear and it will be good to go.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Let us know how things come out.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

chiefcherokee wrote:
Ummm....you guys realize this thread is 4 1/2 years old, right?
Sometimes you need to think about the question.:action:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
imported post

Actually, no... I never did get the bike running. I got so disgusted with it, I sold it out for parts and never checked back in. :(

Thank you all for your help.... I clipped that Wing and sold it down the river.... ironically, I am now looking at getting another 81 GL1000 as a project...so I may be back for more help and maybe now I'll know a little more.:applause:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

rOmiLaYu wrote:
ironically, I am now looking at getting another 81 GL1000...

Ironically, I'm here to help you from the get-go on it... In 1981, the GL was a 1100.

So... don't get scammed, my 'Brotha.

:coollep:

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.