Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Newbie question: My motorcycle trailer has one light not working. How do I detect where there is a break in the wiring, if that's the problem? I'll also check the bulb but I suspect it's a wiring issue.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

In this case a 12vtest light with a pointy end is your best friend!! I'd first test the light socket in question and if you don't have any voltage, check the bike plug and if you've got voltage there, check all the wire connections. Also to ensure a good ground I'd run about an 8' piece of 12ga wire connected to the negative batteryterminal to the test light so's you can make sure you've got a good ground for your test light...

Good luck with her!!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

With a test light, yes. Also the lights need to be turned on...

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Try the test light, but usually for these types of problems you don't even need any test equipment. The problem canoften be spotted visually.

The most likely culprit, other than a burned out bulb, is the lamp socket/assembly. I can't believe how cheaply these are made. In the "old days" they actually soldered the wires coming into the lamp assembly but now they are just a press fit, with a sharp pin that penetrates the wire insulation.

We may be neighbours, so if you can't fix it, let me know. I'm in the electrical business.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

If you have any of the blue colored "tap & run" wire connectors, that is a really good place to look for problems. Also look for any place that the wires may have been pinched or bent back & forth....wires don't like to be attached to a hinge.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

The issue I had with mine was the wire harness was run inside the 1" square tubing and one wire broke in there. I ran a new wire outside and solved the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.