1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read this while looking up Dex Cool.

Nightrider1

The bright orange Dexcool coolant used in many General Motors vehicles over the past decade promised to bring extendedmaintenance - 5 years or 150,000 miles - to cooling systems, but many owners instead found themselves with vehicles that required system flushes, gasket replacement, and even new radiators and heater cores just outside of the vehicle's warranty period. The blame for the problem depends on who you talk to, and the causesinclude the "stop-leak" pellets added at the factory, contamination with air from system leaks (Dexcool can quickly degrade when exposed to excess oxygen), and improper service that involved added non-Dexcool coolant or tap water to the cooling system.

Whatever the cause of the problem, several lawsuits have been filed in state and federal court by owners who, in many cases, are justified in their anger over the lack of performance by this coolant. A ruling may soon be forthcoming from a judge in East St. Louis, IL, that would result in a set of consolidated suits gaining class-action status - a move that would open up the lawsuits to involve potentially millions of GM customers. For its part, the automaker says that the recommend service interval in the owner's manual is exactly that - a recommendation, and not a warranty guarantee.

For what it's worth, the Autoblog staff has found that Dexcool works just fine in a cooling system that is free of contaminants and leaks, but indeed the stuffwill turn into a gooey mess if mixed with anything but distilled water or if exposed to air. Also, those drivers who do not get their vehicles up to normal operating temperatures every trip may want to consider an accelerated coolant maintenance schedule.

UPDATE: IF YOU HAVE USED THIS, AND HAD TO REPLACE A GASKET ETC, (WHERE THE FLUID LEAKED OUT OF THE ENGINE) you are elligible for up to a $1600 MAX rebate. If you have no reciept, you get $800.00, but you must be honest, and have the mechanic who done the work sign an alfadivit. Look up Dex Cool Settlement on Yahoo.com. This says for cars, but the dex coollabel says nothing about not using this in a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I used to run Dex Cool in both my wings until i heard about this years ago.

I quickly switched back to Honda Antifreeze,(the real stuff) after extensive flushing of the systems in both bikes .

Most of my riding buddys run Prestone.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

bikgra,

As soon as I can, I am going to do the same. What did you use to flush your Gldwind Out with? I'm just not going to take thise chance anymore.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

bikgra wrote:
I used to run Dex Cool in both my wings until i heard about this years ago.

I quickly switched back to Honda Antifreeze,(the real stuff) after extensive flushing of the systems in both bikes .

Most of my riding buddys run Prestone.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
.The bright orange Dexcool coolant ...

For what it's worth, the Autoblog staff has found that Dexcool works just fine in a cooling system that is free of contaminants and leaks, but indeed the stuffwill turn into a gooey mess if mixed with anything but distilled water or if exposed to air. .....
Dexcool is fine for clean, closed sytems..... the problem for goldwings is getting the system very clean before filling it... Dexcool is not compatable with the other common antifreezes, so even little left over contamination is not good..

All GM products come with Dexcool from the factory.. and work fine until someone adds the wrong stuff.. or doesn't maintain the system... I have a 1998 Yukon with 142,000 miles that is still going strong with Dexcool... I have it changed every two years...

that being said, there are other products that are not so fussy about compatibility as Dexcool and a lot more convenient, so I don't use DexCool in my Goldwings; I use the HOnda factory premix.

SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Jim,

What is the best flushing solvent thatI can use after I drain it? If I had known this, I would hve never used it.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

sandiegobrass wrote:
Nightrider1 wrote:

For what it's worth, the Autoblog staff has found that Dexcool works just fine in a cooling system that is free of contaminants and leaks, but indeed the stuffwill turn into a gooey mess if mixed with anything but distilled water or if exposed to air. .....
Dexcool is fine for clean, closed sytems..... the problem for goldwings is getting the system very clean before filling it... Dexcool is not compatable with the other common antifreezes, so even little left over contamination is not good..

All GM products come with Dexcool from the factory.. and work fine until someone adds the wrong stuff.. or doesn't maintain the system... I have a 1998 Yukon with 142,000 miles that is still going strong with Dexcool... I have it changed every two years...

that being said, there are other products that are not so fussy about compatibility as Dexcool and a lot more convenient, so I don't use DexCool in my Goldwings; I use the HOnda factory premix.

SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jim,

As far as I know, I have no leaks, and my reservoir is full. Might as well dump it before i get a leak.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

sandiegobrass wrote:
Nightrider1 wrote:

SDB/Jim

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

If you want to get rid of it, I'd just flush it with water a couple of times.. I'd fill it up with water and heat it up to open the thermosat each time, then shut it off and drain it... no special "solvent" needed..

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I flushed my bikes with distilled water , i bought it in gallons at the drug store and it was really cheap.

Fill your system with it and run your bike until up to temp and then drain

i did this twice in a row for both bikes.

Then i added Honda stuff

Only use distilled water if you can.

By the way i change my antifreeze every year,its cheap enough to do and its good insurance.Your water pump will love you.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

I most definitely would not put dexcool in something that didn't come with it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

bikgra,

How long did you use the dex-cool in your wing until you found this out? I changed mine on 09/15/08, (been in there a little over 2 months) right before the first NASIR rally. I an going to flush it twice tommorrow with distilled water, and on the last, probably a decent system cleaner on the last flush, and gowith prestone 50/50.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

bikgra wrote:
I flushed my bikes with distilled water , i bought it in gallons at the drug store and it was really cheap.

Fill your system with it and run your bike until up to temp and then drain

i did this twice in a row for both bikes.

Then i added Honda stuff

Only use distilled water if you can.

By the way i change my antifreeze every year,its cheap enough to do and its good insurance.Your water pump will love you.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
I read this while looking up Dex Cool. UPDATED: Read Below:

Nightrider1

The bright orange Dexcool coolant used in many General Motors vehicles over the past decade promised to bring extendedmaintenance - 5 years or 150,000 miles - to cooling systems, but many owners instead found themselves with vehicles that required system flushes, gasket replacement, and even new radiators and heater cores just outside of the vehicle's warranty period. The blame for the problem depends on who you talk to, and the causesinclude the "stop-leak" pellets added at the factory, contamination with air from system leaks (Dexcool can quickly degrade when exposed to excess oxygen), and improper service that involved added non-Dexcool coolant or tap water to the cooling system.

Whatever the cause of the problem, several lawsuits have been filed in state and federal court by owners who, in many cases, are justified in their anger over the lack of performance by this coolant. A ruling may soon be forthcoming from a judge in East St. Louis, IL, that would result in a set of consolidated suits gaining class-action status - a move that would open up the lawsuits to involve potentially millions of GM customers. For its part, the automaker says that the recommend service interval in the owner's manual is exactly that - a recommendation, and not a warranty guarantee.

For what it's worth, the Autoblog staff has found that Dexcool works just fine in a cooling system that is free of contaminants and leaks, but indeed the stuffwill turn into a gooey mess if mixed with anything but distilled water or if exposed to air. Also, those drivers who do not get their vehicles up to normal operating temperatures every trip may want to consider an accelerated coolant maintenance schedule.
UPDATED:

Heres what I done so far.1. I purchased 3 Gallons of distillrd water, antofreexe, and some Peak super Clener and flush., drained the dex cool, 2. run 3.6 qts of distilled water through it. Cooled, 3. Run the cleaner + 3qts of distilled water through it, 9For 15 minutes)drained, cooled, 4. run 3.5 qts distilled water through it, cooled, drained, 5. left out drain plug, and run 1/2 gallon distilled water through it for 10-15 seconds immeadiatly after starting. 6. Now, I am about to put in the Prestone 50/50 extended life antifreeze coolant after it cools. You would not believe what come out of that system. I hardly could. You can see the water pump throwing the water fast, and after the fan comes on, I burped it 2-3 times. So far, I have been on this thing since 9:30am. I hope it does ok. really colled the water off fast when the fan and thermostat opened though, around 60% -70% of the big white line.
I figure I am going to add the cooland slowly, to minimise any blowout before the thermostat opens. Enough to fill it, but not under do it. Now it sets slightly BELOW th e big line! I finally finished around 1:25pm.

ADDED!!!!!

My radiatior was begiinning to turn orance on the walls, and I only had it in 2 weeks before NASSIR1, (A total of 9 weeks, no leaks, usage, etc) and I am lucky I found this article. By the time I was done, I had a "Normal" loooking radiator, with better antifreeze circultion. I could actualle see the water pump pushing the water throiugh when the thermostat opened, and I seen it before, but never this strong. I would recommend anyone eho hs an early Wing to do the same, reguardlesss of what coolant you are using. You will notice a BIG difference. I definately had some pre-ignition in one of my cylingers, causing a small "pop" or a small "backfire" in one of my cylinders. I do not have this now!!!

Thanks Everyone Bike seems to be doing great so far! Sounds FANTASTIC! Compression 160 x 4!!!

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

MAN! This is exactly the kind of valuable info to be found on sites like this!
There has been a gallon of dex-cool on the shelf in my garage for i bet 2 years. Bought it for a late model service truck i used to own. Don't have the truck any more and have been hesitant to use the stuff in anything else. Since i have trusted GM products since my teens (don't ask how long ago!) i probably would have used it in one of my recently purchased wings. i was told long ago the stuff was designed for alum. blocks.
As soon as the retirement check comes i am making a donation in the amount of what i would have been out if I would have had to go thru all the misery of flushing and buying the additional coolant.
No amount can compensate for the peace of mind I will ride with knowing i have none of that garbage doing who knows what to my extremely important cooling system.
Thanks a gad-zillion guys! You welcomed this new member to this site with a huge roar!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Just wanted to add something to this Dex Cool thing.

My friend is a 61 yr.old life long mechanic and has worked at GM.

He told me that whenever they change antifreeze they are suppose to add

GM stop leak pellets,And he thought this my be the cause off the prob.

i checked my manual for my chevy Astrovan and sure enuogh it does state to add these GM pellets whenever new antifreeze is put in.

He runs dexcool in his trucks without adding pellets and has had no probs.

For us it is best to stay clear of this stuff.Safe Riding

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Dexcool is advertised as a 5 year coolant but the reality is that it should be changed every three to four years for best service life. After 4 years it becomes caustic and causes damage to the rad core, hoses and waterpump. There is a fair amount of discussion about Dexcool on the web.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

bikgra,

Thanks to you, I made it. I used 2.5 gallons of the distilled water. Ths all it took. I just cannot get over the srap that come out of the cooling system, but with the bike being 29 years old now, I figure thats about right. I will be glad when I can afford a flush on the engine and an oil change. I bet the slodge in it is at least 1/4 inch uildup iin places, but being the 2nd owner, the first owner kept it up pretty well, wxcept for some a little rust, and so far, I have removed 50% of it. I hope to have it Mint by March.

After I done the carb leaning and flush, I took it for a 10 mile ride, after I got the antiftreeze in it, and it even sounds better, or it may just be my iminagtion. I don't know, but it sounded so much better. Probably one of the cylindrs wasn't getting cool enough, and after I done the flush, it stopped the pre-ignition. purring like I have never heard it before, with no little "pops" or small "backfiring".

On the Peak Super Cleaner and Flush, it said to drive it for 3 to 6 hours, but that was written for a car or light truck, so I just ran it around 3000 rpms, and went through the gears several times for 15 minutes, because I did not want to risk that stuff being in there for that long. I believe it done the trick though. If I had a strainer, I'd bet I got out 1/4 inch of buildup off the walls if I put it in a round 8 inch pan. No kidding.

I appreciate all the input from everyone on this. The walls of my radiator were begiinning to turn a light orange. If I had left that old GM Dex Cool in for another month, I'd probably end up having to have an engine rebuilt.

Thanks Pal!

God Bless,

Nightrider1

bikgra wrote:
You did a great job,You wont have any probs

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

http://www.evanscooling.com/html/home1.htm

Those that have been around here for a while knew that I couldn't resist this one.:D

I've ran this coolant for 4 years in my '83. Good stuff.

BTW, who makes the OEM Honda coolant for Mother Honda?:cooldevil:

Have a good one folks. :11red::waving:

Hobie............and have a great Thanksgiving for who ever would like to.:cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hobie,

Evans is a good one for the wings. As for who makes Honda's, I do not know.

Nightrider1

Hobie1 wrote:
http://www.evanscooling.com/html/home1.htm

Those that have been around here for a while knew that I couldn't resist this one.:D

I've ran this coolant for 4 years in my '83. Good stuff.

BTW, who makes the OEM Honda coolant for Mother Honda?:cooldevil:

Have a good one folks. :11red::waving:

Hobie............and have a great Thanksgiving for who ever would like to.:cooler:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.