Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you did the DHS UPGRADE and like it so far And did you do shorten throw modification where you drill a hole in the OEM shifter or did you skip that
And did it really get more of a better shift to the gl1800
www.dhsracing.com

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Yes I did. The first set I got were so stiff the shifter wouldn't return, he sent me new ones and they worked for a while then got stiff. I finally got heim joints from another source and made my own. The ones he uses have a plastic (of some sort) insert that apparently can't take the heat, I got all metal ones. I do like the short throw though it does take slightly more effort to shift.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Now that I think back on it, was at Dave's home for a couple days and we were talking about the DHS item, and I just chose to not install it at that time.

I am now two years past that point, and the OEM shifter cycle is working fine for me, I am not going to install it.

So, guess I should put it up for sale.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did. The first set I got were so stiff the shifter wouldn't return, he sent me new ones and they worked for a while then got stiff. I finally got heim joints from another source and made my own. The ones he uses have a plastic (of some sort) insert that apparently can't take the heat, I got all metal ones. I do like the short throw though it does take slightly more effort to shift.

Where did you get the new heim joints from I really dont mind the throw but I won,t mind trying some new heim joints to stiffen the joints up

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF6ANFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 & https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF6AOHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . With these you have to use bolts and spacers to make it work out. If you have somewhere local you could probably get them with the studs, just get all metal & use self locking nuts except the jam nut where they screw together.
Thanks for the info I going to try this You probably couldn,t give me a little more info on the bolts and spacer thing It will probably be more obvious I guess when I GET there and take it apart
I did order the parts off amazon

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Wish I had pictures. The joints DHS sells have the stud that go into the shifter arms, you can see that in his pictures, the joints from Amazon do not. What I did was buy grade 5 fine thread 1/4" bolts, don't remember the length and used some spacers I already had about 10mm or 3/8" thick to go between the joint and the shift arm & shift lever to make the linkage be straight. You could probably use 3 or 4 washers to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish I had pictures. The joints DHS sells have the stud that go into the shifter arms, you can see that in his pictures, the joints from Amazon do not. What I did was buy grade 5 fine thread 1/4" bolts, don't remember the length and used some spacers I already had about 10mm or 3/8" thick to go between the joint and the shift arm & shift lever to make the linkage be straight. You could probably use 3 or 4 washers to accomplish the same thing.
The 1/4 bolts work in the shifter arms right Do they fit in them jionts from amazon

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
The 1/4 bolts work in the shifter arms right Do they fit in them jionts from amazon
Yes, I got bolts with a long enough unthreaded shank to go almost all the way through then cut off the excess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I got bolts with a long enough unthreaded shank to go almost all the way through then cut off the excess.
So I would be looking at the cut off just inside the heim joint just about flush and the threads out the other end I know dumb question

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
So I would be looking at the cut off just inside the heim joint just about flush and the threads out the other end I know dumb question
I hope you understand me better than I understand you. The bolt is going to go through the heim joint, through the spacer, through the shift arm and into the nut. The threads need to be far enough inside the shift arm that the nut has a little more than enough thread to tighten down on but the smooth part of the bolt goes through most of the parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I hope you understand me better than I understand you. The bolt is going to go through the heim joint, through the spacer, through the shift arm and into the nut. The threads need to be far enough inside the shift arm that the nut has a little more than enough thread to tighten down on but the smooth part of the bolt goes through most of the parts.
I do under stand ya
I took the left cowl off and looked at the shifter it makes sense now

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Another tip, or 2, the DHS guy says grind the button off the end of the old pin to drive it out. I disagree, cut it off on the side with the heim joint and drive it out the other way. Set the button over a socket it will fit in and use a punch & hammer. Also before you take the shifter off measure to somewhere fixed so you can adjust it to the same height, or a little higher or lower if you prefer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.