Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A while back I posted that my 1997 GL1500SE was stalling when I rode it up a long, steep grade and the motor was under stress. Many of you offered suggestions on what it might be. I found a road about an hour from home where I could recreate the conditions that made the bike stall out. I changed the fuel filter and fiddled with the fuel cap to no positive effect. I then bypassed the auto fuel shutoff valve and the bike ran great. I then purchased a MightyVac vacuum gauge and tried the test for the valve shown in the repair manual. I couldn't get it to create a vacuum. My next step was to remove and disassemble the fuel shutoff valve. There I found a large rip along the perimeter of the diaphram. I searched for a rebuild kit and it is now obvious that they aren't being manufactured anymore. I don't want to pay $125 for a new valve so I will keep running without it. I am not concerned with a siphon effect being created if the float valves don't seat completely and I'm doubtful if the fuel pump will keep running if the engine is off and the key is left on. Does anyone think this is foolish to not replace the auto fuel shutoff valve?

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

hleseidel wrote:
...Does anyone think this is foolish to not replace the auto fuel shutoff valve?...
I have two GL1500's, one (#1) with the Shutoff valve installed, and the other (#2) without.

#2 without it has not given me any problems at all in it's ~4k miles of rebuilt life so far, and as far as I can tell there's No Siphoning of gas after the engine is turned off.

Oddly (and I presume beneficially), #2 also tends to be "Dry" of gas after sitting for a few days, unlike #1... I don't know the reason, yet this tells me that No Gas is flowing into the carbs while it's parked... So I think that's your answer.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

just tie rap a vac operated petcock valve in....off a hd or somethin....or just a manual valve for when you park it for periods...if replacements are rare now

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I'm with Rudy on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

If the auto fuel sshut off valve was never really needed, Honda wasted a bunch of money fixing a problem that wasn`t there. Didn`t someone find a alternate source for a repair kit latter?
Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

gumbyred wrote:
If the auto fuel sshut off valve was never really needed, Honda wasted a bunch of money fixing a problem that wasn`t there. Didn`t someone find a alternate source for a repair kit latter?
Tom Bishop
You'll think that untill a float sticks or a seat wears out. Believe me you do not want to see the damage or pay the bill for a petrolocked motor. I'm currently in the market for a low miles Valkyrie motor to replace the one that petrolocked on me. Yes the damage is that bad.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I was told without a fuel shut off valve one could get into trouble if the carb floats are leakng. Gas seeps into the the carbs and if it's hot, it could an explosion in the top half of the motor. Then you have trouble. I replaced my cut off with a electric one and it works fine. GOOD LUCK

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

CycleMax is offering the rebuild kits for $24.00. I'm ordering one today

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.