Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is a question for Kit Carson, or anyone else who has installed one of these units.

How much stuff did you have to take off in order to do this job?

I seem to be digging further and further down, but I still can't get at the wires properly.

Any help would be much appreciated, the weather is warming up finally!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Hi Bob:

I was going pretty good till I got to the high beam on the left side, at that point I surrendered and took off the seat, meter panel, shelter and the inner covers. I do that now just to change the high beam bulb, just too much stuff in the way.

I may not have done it exactly like you are supposed to, but I installed the module under the right pocket box , I have it fastened with velcro, and with the parts supplied I hooked up the right high and low headlight. I used two jumper wires to run over to the left headlight, both low and high beam and hooked into the horn wire(extended that too) where it runs down in the harness under the meter panel into the shelter area. Ground was put to the headlight ground. I put the sensor on the right side panel about one inch from the top of the Navi panel facing towards me, just to the side of the right pocket door lock and up about half an inch. That way it gets natural daylight and works fine but bright artificial lights will not cause it to operate at night.

You may have these already, but just in case here they are.
DiamondStar_Instructions.PDF (application/pdf Object)

They now sell a kit for a two light system with the extra connectors and jumper wires already put together and with the crimp fittings on them, just for the Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you so much Kit, I guess I have to remove the shelter, darn.

I do have the instructions, pretty straightforward once you get to where you need to be!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well I got it fitted, took a little while because I soldered all the connections. I really don't trust those crimp on connectors.

I put the photocell pointing down through the horizontal section of the inner fairing. I also extended the horn hook-up and connected it at the RH horn itself. The horn wire is available at a plug close to the RH fairing pocket, (I mounted the unit under the pocket). However, I couldn't see any easy way to cut and solder wires there, too cramped.

Of course I need not have rushed, it's snowing again:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Cramped, on an 1800 up under the pockets and at the headlight bulbs, Naw this is just good practice for doing a clutch job while the motor is on the bike. :)

I am glad you got it fitted, it will now make you safer. They are a very good safety item.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

I took off the seat. The modules ft in line for the head and in line for the tail. Sensor drilled thru the upper fairing facing up. Used what they give and a bit more tape, modules for the head fit in the headlight socket. Worked first time no problem the horn leads had to be extended. All buttoned up and tied to existing wire harnesses

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.