Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think I have a dicky starter motor.

Some time ago after bike had got really hot the bike refused to start, could hear the clunk of solenoid.

Had to bump start it.

I did change battery at time just in case.

Now 2 months on bike got really hot again today (lots of town riding).

And of course outside a triumph motor bike shop, it refused to start. :)

Bypassed the solenoid with a handy spanner, lots of sparks but no whir of starter.

Bump started it again.

After stopped several times and started ok each time.

So I am thinking the stater motor is getting temperamental if its very hot.

I do have a spare.

SO how easy is it to replace ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Hi Robin,
I stripped and rebuilt mine last week, the video makes it look easy but in reality you won't get it out in 10 or 20 minutes as in the video.

Steve said (was it you Steve?) that you can leave the saddle on, but I removed mine for a little extra light. I used one of those large LED flash lights under the engine shining up it floods the area with light.

That is a problem, once you remove the battery, battery box, and fuse where the dog~bone fuse hides, you have to battle the wiring, you also have to disconnect the wiring to the starter which can be awkward to do even with a 1/4" knuckle and a 10mm socket through the frame.

The three bolts which hold the starter onto the back of the engine, two of these are domed on top, I used a 3/8" drive to loosen but used a 1/4" drive to spin out as the 3/8 is a little tight. The third bolt has a normal hex head and it goes through a longer casting on the starter, it had me confused for a while, at least 30 seconds as the bolt heads were different and I didn't want to screw up something else.

Once you have all the bolts out, you may find the starter is pretty tight and you have to jiggle it about before it pops out. there again yours may not, you can tap it with a dowel or stick and a hammer to dislodge it without causing damage. Once it is loose you have a pain in the fingers job of rotating it around to get it past the tank and wiring to get it out of it's hole.

I would suggest taking photos as you go, I did with my iPhone just for references when you put it back in. When I stripped the starter there was a lot of dust inside, wear gloves as the carbon dust gets in everywhere under your nails and just hangs around several days later.

Two of my brushes were well wedged into their brush holders and once I removed the armature, the brushes did push out ok and I cleaned up the area with earbuds (cotton wool on a stick) and rubbing alcohol, if the starter was very hot check that the spiral springs are still strong, sometimes too much heat can take the spring tension out of them.

Once I cleaned out all the dust and reassembled the starter worked well, I was a bit disappointed when I connected my booster pack to it but due to the reduction gearing I expected it to whine fast but it whirred in a very Honda fashion.

Thanks to Winging, he told me that the brushes are 12mm long new and mine were between 9 and 10mm so still well within service limits.

Before refitting smear the 'o ring' on the outer casting with vaseline or light grease.
Once I offered it up to the engine it went together much faster. In order to get the starter into the engine casing, with the Wing on it's main stand, put the bike into reverse and rotate the rear wheel while gently pushing on the end of the starter (my Mum always said my third hand would come in handy one day) half a rotation will do it, the motor will just pop home.

The rest is easy but trying to get the effin bolts into their respective holes are a pain but I have tools for that.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

robin

did mine about a month ago got all the bushes from honda and serviced it. mine over heated during an issue with hydrolock and an enthusistic AA man.

the carbon deposit had cooked and it took some emery cloth and a good clean..

my tip would be use a marker pen to mark the end cap positions before pulling apart. and for the bottom bolt if you have one a spanner as a socket is to fiddly one of those ratchet spanners mine was a smaller size than the other 2

study the steps in the workshop bit before you do it

it took me about 1 hour to take out as it is fiddly and about the same to service and replace

take your time with the refit and DO NOT Force the motor in you will do fatal dammage

andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.