Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A guy at work has been into bikes for years and he said that Honda made a 1300 Goldwing for less than 1 year has anyone see or heard of one? Maybe it was a prototype. I am just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Bull Pucky:shock:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Just the sort of reply that I did't thick i would get I will not be back to this List

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

David4752 wrote:
Just the sort of reply that I did't thick i would get I will not be back to this List
Sorry to hear that....Your loss.....:waving:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

David4752 wrote:
dont take it personally. There wasnt a 1300 that made it to the streets, unless you consider the st1300, SPORT tourer..

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

1972 Honda Goldwing prototype M1[/b]

Very rare photo of the very first prototype Honda Goldwing - The 1972 Honda M1

A design team is established, led by Soichiro Irimajiri, who headed up design of the five- and six-cylinder road racing engines of the 1960s. The team develops the M1, a top-secret prototype designed to explore the outer limits of the Grand Touring concept. The super-fast M1 features a liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine with shaft drive--features that surface in the Gold Wing line in years to come.

I dont know what the displacement was on this one, though.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Kawasaki tried an inline 6 cylinder 1300 from 79 to around 82. Some were naked, some weredeckedout with vetter touring packages. Maybe that's what he's thinking of?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

David4752 wrote:
Sorry about that. It was not meant to be an offense but they did not make one.

UBarW the M-1 was 1470 cc

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
David4752 wrote:
Sorry about that. It was not meant to be an offense but they did not make one.

UBarW the M-1 was 1470 cc

I didn't see your answer as being offensive :? maybe he was having a tough day.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I had a guy swear to me Honda made a 900cc Goldwing. "It was the first one EVER, and you never see them". Uh huh.

I asked if he meant the old Silverwing, he was a little befuddled.

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

About 76/79 Didn't Honda take the CB 750 straight 4 cylinder and add 2 more cylinders.. I think it was only a 1000 and it didn't last long.. I wounder if that's what he's thinking of.....

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

David4752 wrote:
Hey, David.... stick around a little, bud..... we're all pretty good guys here; and I don't think he meant any offense.......

Check out this 1300! Fast enough to peel the enamel off your teeth!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
About 76/79 Didn't Honda take the CB 750 straight 4 cylinder and add 2 more cylinders.. I think it was only a 1000 and it didn't last long.. I wounder if that's what he's thinking of.....
That would be the CBX 1024cc IIRC but they called it a 1000. Bike wasn't much but the engine was pretty spectacular.

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's the monster.. Heavy for it's time and didn't handle well.. But it looked cool............

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

CBX......I had one. 1979 model. I put a Vetter fairing, KG detachable saddlebags and trunk. I put a King / Queen seat on it. Mommy and I put about 40,000 miles on it touring around.

It was pretty heavy, had a lot of give in the front forks when you pushed it hard in the corners, but there was nothing on the road that could keep up with its top end. The only thing close was a KZ900, but they could only stick with me to about 120, and then they would drop off.

The speedo registered 150 if I remember correctly, and it would bury the needle any time you wanted. You gotta realize I was 20 years old, no kids, and invincible. I don't ride quite that hard anymore.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

Honda made a cbx1300 that could be ordered with a vetter fairing, also a cb 900 with a 10 speed transmission that could be ordered with a hondaline fairing the ten speed was a lo/ high with 5 speeds so it worked like a 10 speed trans. the cbx was a six banger inline. but not a goldwing type.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I was in my early 20's in the late '70s and infatuated with Hondas. Only Hondas. I don't recall a 1300 built by Honda ever being manufactured or sold in North America during the late '70s/early '80s. I would be very surprised if Mother Honda ever allowed Vetter products to be factory ordered for bikes of that era. As a matter of fact they went to extensive lengths to discourage anything but standard equipment (read an Owner's Manual from the early Goldwings). They really didn't approve of Vetter and his modifications. Individual dealers would mount almost anything aftermarket.

I've been looking for any evidence of a 1300 Goldwing being produced for another market and have come up with a big blank. BUT - I did find a bike that is claimed to have been a four cylinder 1300 (CB1300SF) that was sold outside of North America. Someone out there may recognize this bike and see it as a hoax but I have found numerous references to it and a number of pictures of Japanese bikers out for a ride with bikes like these identified as 1300s.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/25oct00hondacb1300sf.html

I haven't been able to find out what years they were manufactured. The pictures on the website remind me a lot of the CB1100 Honda sold in North America in the early '80s. But it's definitely not a Goldwing. Still looking.

p.s. David & Carolyn, don't take our responses to personally. Some of us have less experience with computers or don't mince words and just type what they have to say with as few words as possible. We're not all born with Cousin Jack's literary abilities (I haven't met him yet so I can't say if he talks up the storm that he posts). Very few of the people I've seen post on this site seem to be the type that would want to make someone else feel insulted. Stick around.

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

David4752 wrote:
See, what goes around comes around.. Yougot to lighten up and get a skin................:action::action::action:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.