Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was trying to isolate a very slight, intermittent, screeching noise coming from the front of my bike, I disconnected my speedometer cable at the front wheel hub to see if the cable/speedo dial was causing the problem. For the record, no, the light screeching continued. The sound appeared just after my carburetor/intake assembly rebuild, only begins at 65 mph (not related to engine rpms), and is possibly a weird aerodynamic side-effect (light, flat, variable, whistling sound) . . . maybe there’s a new gap in the housing shields, mystery to be solved later.

In any case, after my test ride I carefully re-inserted the speedo cable back into the front wheel speed-hub unit and cinched it down via the phillips head screw, and took a ride around the block . . . but the speedo does not work now, at all; no problems before cable disconnect. After removing the cable again (at the wheel) to examine the speed-hub, I see that the male spade on the speed-hub looks fine although, oddly, it will freely rotate 270 degrees (clockwise & counter-clockwise) before it stops, but it does stop in its rotation. As I look deeply down into the narrow opening of the receiving/mating end of the speedo cable housing itself I can’t see a female notch which would mate up with the speed-hub spade.

So here’s my question, did I unknowingly drop a tiny mating part from inside the speedo cable when I originally disconnected it from the speed-hub, and perhaps that’s why it would not work upon reassembly? Or did I break it in some other fashion? It certainly would not be the first time I broke one part while trying to fix another . :-/

Just to insure future aggravation, I ordered new OEM speedo and tach cables this afternoon . . . not that I’m anticipating a failure in the tach cable, but the bike is 29 years old, and I may find a way to break it too!

Please advise.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Did you tie the cable up so the inside cable didn't slide out as you drove around?

The speedo box tang should not rotate freely. Only with wheel turning should it move. Pull the wheel and inspect the Speedo box and the gear inside and the flange on the wheel

Let us know what you find with a reply on this post.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now don’t I feel silly . . .

Did you tie the cable up so the inside cable didn't slide out as you drove around?

The speedo box tang should not rotate freely. Only with wheel turning should it move. Pull the wheel and inspect the Speedo box and the gear inside and the flange on the wheel

Let us know what you find with a reply on this post.
=========================

Hmmm . . . while I did duct tape the lower part of the speedo cable to insure that it not make contact with the spinning front wheel, I DID NOT tape the end of the open cable housing, so most likely I did lose the cable over the 7-10 mile freeway run I made back home. It did not occur to me that the cable could slide out so easily [slapping forehead now]. I will disconnect the cable housing at the speedo body tomorrow and confirm the missing cable from the top side, as well.

Maybe the freely rotating speed-box tang might be the mystery sound I’m hearing. I guess I’ll be checking a few things tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback, newday!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ah well. We all have done the Dah at some point, all are guilty!

The Speedo box needs wheel bearing grease in it. Clean out the old and regrease it if it is still good.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah well. We all have done the Dah at some point, all are guilty!

The Speedo box needs wheel bearing grease in it. Clean out the old and regrease it if it is still good.
====================================

Finally got around to pulling the speedo gear box, although a bit dry of lube everything was intact. Lubed it up, re-installed it, works fine. Once I get the new speedo cable next week, all will be well again.

Still have the sound coming from the front of the bike [ugh] . . . but I have convinced myself that it is a slightly altered part which is whistling at speeds precisely at/above 65 mph. So to locate the offending item I will start taping over plastic and metal gaps until the sound disappears. I can almost picture the whole front of the bike wrapped in blue painter's tape . . . whatever it takes I guess! :grin:

thanks again for the feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.