Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 1989 gl1500 Aspencade needed a battery. A sealed gel battery was all I could find in stock, so I made the purchase. Last night while cruzin around this board, I found some negative comments about gel batterys. I could not get a clear understanding of why not to use a sealed gel battery. Did I mess up or can I use the battery?

Oldmanonavtx

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Okay. I just went and read on the box that it is a agm battery. Guess I got lucky because I didn't know the difference. Thanks.

Oldmanonavtx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There are only a couple disadvantages of using an AGM battery. It costs a bit more and won't decorate the chrome on your exhaust pipe with corrosion from acid drips. Other than that it's all gain.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I have been using an Odyssey AGM battery in my GL1200 for some time now. A minor disadvantage in my case was that the replacement was a tad narrower than the OEM battery and I had to add some wood and rubber shim material to get it to fit tightyly in the battery cage.

Oh yes, one other disadvantage - These batteries keep their charge for two years of non-use, so that battery tender you may have been using is now just taking up space in the garage.

One caveat. Trickle chargers and some older battery chargers will not work with these batteries. The documentation you get with the battery will include specifications for charging.

:11red:

·
Nobody You Know
277 Posts
imported post

I put a WestCo sealed AGM on my 1500 and finally changed it 6 years later just because I was afraid I was living on borrowed time - but it had no indication that it was about to fail. Never had a conventional battery last that long on a bike or in a car. I went back with a Westco and did the same on my CB750.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Yeah, those Westco Batteries are amazing.:clapper: I just bought a replacement for my Miata. Not because it died but because it's 9 years old and I'm fearful I'm living on borrowed time.

When the battery on my 1 month old Goldwing does die, I'll be buying a Westco!

Stay Safe!

The Mad Gamer
(MJ)

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

The AGM's take extremes in acceleration and also tilting much better than flooded batteries. So, if you dump it in the parking lot, no problem with the battery. And they are maintenance free, take a charge faster and are generally better batteries. More expensive. The only other downside is that when they do fail (think many years from now), it is likely to be sudden and complete. The agm currently in my bike is 7 years old, with at least one complete discharge.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I just bought a new battery and bought the lead acid out of habit. I wish I had thought of getting a sealed battery. The gel battery in my Miata just finished its twelfth year and shows no sign of weakening.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

i HAVE HAD A WESCO/SVT BATTERY IN MY 84 Aspy for 5 yrs now with no problem I'm also thinking about a new one due to age. But this one shows no sign of failure. I will surely get another

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I think I may be in the market for and AGM battery. I hate having to go over to Wally World for a replacement and from the prices I saw, they're not that much more!

Steve

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I think I may be in the market for an AGM battery. I hate having to go over to Wally World for a replacement and from the prices I saw online, they're not that much more!

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the AGM is a good choice. My brother inlaw swears by them and I think next time I'm due for a battery I'll try one myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.