Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Did quite a bit of clean up on the old bike today. That rust is a pain to get rid of.

Before : Right : http://community.webshots.com/photo/266075434/266075434MLusHc

Before left : http://community.webshots.com/photo/266076325/266076325rcryCL

After Left& right :

http://community.webshots.com/photo/266079406/266079406VTZXjz

http://community.webshots.com/photo/266080021/266080021aqjAaA

----------------------------------------------------------

Put the new plugs in it today as well, Now to seafoam the tank & fuel system.

Found a Hole in the radiator so I will be repairing this soon too. along with the overflow hose to the resevoir bottle .http://community.webshots.com/photo/265653255/266080654wLsEeP

Shined up the Aluminum on the motor and chrome quite a bit today too. Man there is a lot of parts to one of these bikes. Glad most of mine are good. Side covers are broken so replacing them as soon as I can find a couple good ones (affordably) Otherwise I will be doing some fiberglass work.

I couldnt stand the rusted parts I was seeing so tearing it apart was all I could do.

It was fun ! Didnt have anything else to do.

Randy.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Ran429,

Looks like you'reoff toa good start! Sea foam works wonders. I've used it myself on my bikes, car and truck.

Keep up the good work! :clapper:

Bob

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Well done Randy :clapper::clapper:,,if you think there are a lot of parts on that one ,wait till you get a 1500 wing :(:(,,keep up the good work :waving::waving:,,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

well, today I installed new plugs, seafoamed the fuel stystem . scrubbed a bit more.

Problem is I cannot figure out the Miss in the firing I am having. wires are good (tested - took off ends and put to plugs) NOT SURE HOW TO TEST THE PLUG ENDS ?

timing cover comes off tomorrow , along with the plug on the alternator, then will come a socket wrench and my test light. (note to self - put plug back into the hole before hitting start button , oil all over , hard to clean off patio)

Bike looked like old faithful for a second there!

ran the motor for awhile after I poured the seafoam in and filled the tank , ran good for a second until the firing seemed to die off and motor running on two cylinders. massive smoke cloud followed.

I guess pulling the bike apart to inspect the coils (putting new wires on possibly) Man this firing problem is a pain! These wires are copper core stock wires on the bike. I cut them down 1/4 inch and reassembled them. Bike fired up and quickly cowered back to its 2 cylinder running method.

I figure I will have best luck doing the step by step timing thing tomorrow as per the Manual. If its not that then timing belts need checking for wear or stretching. Most likely put on wrong by the P/owner (maybe why he parked it?).

ohwell, pop back in later tomorrow and give another update.

Who said fun has to cost alot!? Better to fill your mind with motorcycle than fog it with alcohol. Being sober 4-1/2 years now I have to keep busy. Nothing else to do except wait for dept of licensing to let me drive again. This hobby will give me THREE rides when I can drive again.

Randy.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

:waving:When you take the plugs out of the 2 cyclinders that are not firing are they oiled up?I mean oil ,not petrol ,,,check it out ,,,Ask about this on a seperate post in the technical forum ,,You will be surprised how quick the gurus are to respond ,,it may be something really simple that they have come across before ,,Dont be afraid to post questions in the technical forum ..:waving:cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Pardon me for asking but what is seafoam and what is it used for, i havnt heard of it in the Uk unless it is that stuff that surrounds the island?.:?:):)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Malc Force wrote:
Pardon me for asking but what is seafoam and what is it used for, i havnt heard of it in the Uk unless it is that stuff that surrounds the island?.
Hey Malc Force, :waving:You got it right in one. :weightlifter:It's the stuff around the Islands, i see it every day. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

ran429 wrote:
Better to fill your mind with motorcycle than fog it with alcohol. Being sober 4-1/2 years now I have to keep busy. Nothing else to do except wait for dept of licensing to let me drive again.
Hey ran429, :waving:Congrats on your new life without the curse of Alcoholic Drink. :whip:Thats the secret, keep your mind busy. :clapper:My best friend turned to alcohol and was diagnosed an alcoholic :crying:at the grand old age of 25 many yrs ago. :crying: I took it on myself to change his ways and after many yrs of hard struggle :whip: he has won his battle. :clapper: I brought him swimmimg, cycling, karate lessons, deep sea diving, and he even took up playing handball. :clapper:He can match me in every stroke in the pool to this day:weightlifter:and we would normally do about 40 lengths in a 25m pool, :jumper:he also reached the standard of brown belt in karate.:clapper:So my mesg to you ran429 is stay with your wing and get plenty of fun with her and keep far away from the curse of drink. :whip:

I dont want this to sound like a sermon. :crying:I am a non-drinker of alcohol and i have nothing against anything in moderation :baffled:but just to see how this stuff can destroy the good life/health of any human being is soul destroying. :whip: Ride Far and Ride Safe ran429 when you get your licence back. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

WOW what a difference !

Check out the covers now ! I used to work at a hardware store here in Kent and saved the worn out and broken Key Buffing wheels. Made SHORT work of that crappy looking built up oxidation!

http://community.webshots.com/album/265653255lqlkoa/4

A must see !

Did the timing also, just have to wait and see how it runs when all the seafoam burns out. Then put a tank of fresh fuel in the bike. Cant really do too much to the bike since i am broke but I cant let it just sit out there by itself now can I?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REDWING,

I wish i would have had a friend like you when I was out, It took a year in Jail and a work detail to neuter me from alcohol. I was working at the National Cemetery in maple Valley and one day they handed me a Box telling me to hold it, Not to get it dirty nor set it down. Ok I said (thinking it was a tool of sorts mind you) Heck we were digging Graves for Veterans !

I never thought i would be Holding a Dead 2-1/2 month old Boy Named Christian Micheal, That was Just Killed by His own DRUNK FATHER DUI, My Life Changed By God's Hands. I asked him myself to put me in a place and SHOW me why I should quit drinking.

He DID.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

ran429 wrote:
Problem is I cannot figure out the Miss in the firing I am having. wires are good (tested - took off ends and put to plugs) NOT SURE HOW TO TEST THE PLUG ENDS ?

Randy.
Plug ends should go about 5,000 ohms resistance. Look for cracks in the caps, better yet, replace them.

Look at the exhaust manifolds exiting the engine, what you see indicates oveheating. (rusty) Thats bad. Carbs are leaking too, they need rebuild. Youll see fuel stains on the shafts and on top the engine. Then inspect the wire connectors around battery, regulator and rectifier, probably find bad connections. Ive fixed a couple 1000's wiring but its tough, had to solder each individual connection. Ran great after that.

Good to hear you quit, hard thing to do. But worth it.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Malc Force wrote:
HEY :goofygrin:REDWING i found a pic of the seafoam,:clapper:in Washington they sell it in cans:grinner:.

NOW CAN ONE OF THE GURU'S GIVE ME A SENSIBLE ANSWER what does it actually do.
Hey Malc Force, :waving:Im not a "Guru" so i wouldn't be qualified to tell you what seafoam is, :baffled:but i can tell you that it is used for cleaning the injectors or any other moving parts and stabilizes the fueletc. :clapper:in the engine. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Have never used Sea Foam, but a good friend swears by it. He uses it to winterize the motor in his ski-boat.(454 fuel injected stern-drive). On spring start-up he fogs up the entire neighborhood for a few minutes till the engine clears itself out after winter storage.

The only thing I've ever used for fuel tank rust prevention, is a product called CREME, and it actually coats the inside of the tank. Haven't seen it advertised for several years, but I was told it is still on the American market.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Sea Foam
Component % by weight
Pale Oil 40-60%
Naptha 25-35%
IPA (N-(3-Methyl-2-butenyl)adenosine) 10-20%

Moisture leech (Petrol drier), cleaner and stabilizer.
Very intriguing that their Trans Tune uses the same ingredients in different proportions.

Just guessing, but the Pale oil appears to be a vehicle, the naptha I suspect is to restore ignitablility, clean and bond with the water to precipitate it and the IPA is possibly the active agent.

A good number of the petrol driers seem to rely on ethanol to leech the water and this Sea Foam sounds interesting. I would like to know more of the IPA though and will call a certain friend with VERY THICK SPECTACLES AND A BOW TIE to ask him what it is. Or I suppose I could ask the Kill Switch GURU?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Sea Foam
Component % by weight
Pale Oil 40-60%
Naptha 25-35%
IPA (N-(3-Methyl-2-butenyl)adenosine) 10-20%
Interesting proportions. They aren't too sure? Whatever happened to 100%?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

If you really want to know what Seafoam is used for, go to http://www.crownvic.net. Do a search for Seafoam and spend a couple of hours reading the posts.

I am a member of this forum as well and have learned a lot about my car (and Seafoam) there.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

They spanned the proportions of the Trans Tune and the Seafoam and issued a common MSDS for both, hence no parity with 100%

My egghead is on vacation, off to an electric pole insulator convention ?I guess he could have stranger hobbies? Hissister says he was very excited about a certain insulator he expected to see there......Hmmmmm...........Well I suppose he might find us weird as well......Hmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
If you really want to know what Seafoam is used for, go to http://www.crownvic.net. Do a search for Seafoam and spend a couple of hours reading the posts.

I am a member of this forum as well and have learned a lot about my car (and Seafoam) there.

Bob
Bob, glad to see another tank driver, I had two CVs and now a Grand Marquis. This one's a 98, no more stem seal smoke?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.