Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[size=Can anyone relate to this? I sure can, and I remember it well! I am sure our brethren across the pond can relate to most of these, even though it is plainly American.]

[size=

I kinda enjoy the last line the best....

Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this.
Those who didn't will be in disbelief.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H means.

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the
middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at
the party because of the scratches on their legs from running
through the woods when the party was busted. (See #6.)

4) You used to "drag" Main.

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police
officers, because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones
wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew
how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your
parents anyhow.)

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy
cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on
back roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your
buyer dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by
references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks to Anderson's, and
it's four houses left of the track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will
never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you was considered "trashy" or "snooty," but
was actually just like your town.

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer then 1965 as the
"rich people".

18) The people in the "big city" dressed funny, and then you picked
up the trend ! 2 years later.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station or
the town bar.

20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through
town or one of your friends driving a grain truck to school
occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the summer to get
stronger.

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would
pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.

24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.

25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.

26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without any
ID.

27) The closest McDonalds was 25 miles away (or more).

28) The closest mall was over an hour away.

29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding
lawn mower.

30) You've pee'd in a cornfield.

31) Most people went by a nickname.

32) You laughed your butt off reading this because you know it is
true, and you forward it to everyone who may have lived in a small
town.

I would not have wanted to been raised any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough times don't last... Tough people do.....

]

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Alexis Illinois, pop. 750. Amen brother. ROFLMAO!:clapper:

Graduating class size-30

I printed that out, thanks for bringing back fond memories!!

Hobie

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I can remember walking to school for lack of any other option. The cool kids had recycled pickups handed down from Dad and when I was lucky, I could catch a ride in the bed of his truck!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well Hobie, you can't exactly say you lived a sheltered life!! Sounds to me like you had a wild time, partying, boozing, smoking and indulging in unmentionables with other guys girlfriends. No wonder you ride a Wing!! I remember sligtly similar experiences from my youth, though what I did in pastures probably involved the other guys castoff girlfriends, I don't remember much about outdoor parties, it's allways too b----y wet over here.

I was fortunate to visit the Smokey Mountains for my 40th birthday, stayed in an idylic little place called Townsend. It seemed to me that not much had changed, from how you described your little place. I loved it, and would like to go back some day.

Unfortunately, life has moved on a pace, and times such as these are hard to come by now, I guess it is nice and comfortable to have all the good things of the modern age, but some of the simple things would be nice to have around still. Maybe the pace of life hasn't got faster, maybe it is me slowing down. I just hope I don't slow down too much, I'll fall off my bike!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Greybull Wyoming. 1780 people. One stop light, right in the middle of town. So, no matter where you are coming from, or going to, you have three choices. Left at the light, through the light, or right at the light.:grinner:

The town was so small, we once had a bill get through the mail to the city without an envelope, or a stamp, and they didnt even send us a postage due. I only found out when I thought I had lost the bill and asked for a replacement. ONly to find that I had apparently mixed it in with the mail, and the postman did it anyways.:baffled:

A friend had coffee spilled on his lap at the coffee shop. He only had to walk a block to his house, then another block to his lady's house. She knew about the spill before he got there!:shock:

Thats small...:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Now that sure brings it all back!!! Good memories. It sure wasn't hard to plan an after grad party for 11 people.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Allen, not too surprising that you come from a place with so low a population, no one can pronounce it, to ask the way!!We English had to bring all our own town names when we 1st emmigrated otherwise we'd have got totally lost. I'm amazed we made it as far as we did!!:goofygrin:

Lived in a hamlet of twelve houses in Lincolnshire for a couple of years, 12 miles to the shops for a pint of milk! Loved every minute of it, hated moving, had wonderful neighbours, still keep in touch, though all too infrequently.

Pete

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Grew up in a town of 900. Saint Jo, Texas. All of the above was true. Graduated in a class of 26.

Billy

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Lake Worth, Florida a non discernible political division of the megalopolis that stretches down the east coast of Florida. My High School has divided more times than I can count, we went to lunch in shifts and Deidre Hall and her twin sister were in my High School class and I never knew it!!!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

LOL here is one for yea.. get out the maps.... lol.. well the town i grew up in isnt even on alot of maps but anyway.. maybe the kansas boys might know it maybe...

Brownell Kansas... pop... hmm i think at the time maybe 75 people.. lol

Ransom kansas is where i went to school.. grad class of 10.. 5 boys and 5 girls.. lol.........

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Brojees,

you must need a white stick!! How could you not notice those two in your class!!:baffled::cooldevil:

Pete

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

Adrian, Mn. pop. 1300. graduation calss from St. Adrian High 29 No stop lights, 3 bars. Great place to grow up. Driving the loop was the weekend thing.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Pete....LOLOL!! And wouldn't that be the way of it!! Honestly, the class was so big and there was a certain lady named Dawn that had my undivided attention after she caught me with Dina! And now both are NUNS!!

What was really funny was the reunion where I was dead! Maybe that drove the pair of them to the convent?

Silverfox wrote:
Brojees,

you must need a white stick!! How could you not notice those two in your class!!:baffled::cooldevil:

Pete

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Hey Silverfox........ my father was born and raised in Aberdeen, about forty miles from were I live. Now theres a town that if you had a good arm you could through a rock from end to end. The place where I went to school had almost 250 kids attending from kindergaten to grade twelve. That was from the three surounding towns. When school was in session, we more than doubled the population. Driving the loop there was circling the parking lot at school.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Lived in a small town called Whangamomona as a kid. Pop aboput 100. 9 kids in school, and theonly business was the Post Office, a Garage and the Whanga pub. Great Memories.

The town didn't like to new zoning laws so declared itself a republic from the rest of New Zealand. ThePresident of the republic was a goat who stood for election vs the Publican and the local mechanic. The goat won by a landslide, everyone figured he was best suited for politics.

They still have an annual republic day at Whanga at the population grows from 100 to 6000 for the day. Wild and Wacky day.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Hey Andrewl....... I've been to a lot of places down your way, but I don't remember that name, although I did hear about the goat getting elected. Where is Whangamomona. Of course I still can't properly pronouce the names of over half the places I've been to there. All Blacks rule, love Silver Ferns, Lion Red and DB will always have place in my heart. ( I hope none of them is fightin' words)

Allen

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Allen

Whangamomona is in Taranaki on the North Island, Well it used to be and that is what all the fuss is about. It';s now in the King Country. If you remember Taranaki go down the inland side of Mt Egmont, turn left at Stratford and then inland for about 1 hour.

All Blacks are about to destroy the British Lions who are currently on tour here, (apologies to all our members from the UK, but that's whats about to happen)

Lion Red and DB in the same sentance is a bit of a misnomer, (for those who don't know they are differing brands of beer and a long standing rivalry) Lion Red is about the best tasting laxative on the market, whilst DB is pure necter.

Allen you have obviously spent some time down here to pick up on some Kiwi icons the way that you have. If you are in the neighbourhood again be sure to look me up.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

:12red:I think Andrew has had one too many DBs.. He has his facts mixed up..DB is the worst tasting laxative whilst Lion Red is the nectar.

Regards,

John.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

The rest of the world probably wont understand this but cbhon will. John thats a typical comment coming from a Jafa. LOL:action::action:

By the way Thanks for putting she who must be obeyed onto Cycle Treads. I'm now the proud owner of a new Flipper Helmet that is colour coded to mike bike.

I also like the idea of getting together for a ride in the near future

Andrew

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.