Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok so I'm on my way to work this morning. I'm about 30 miles from home and the stereo starts fading out. Shortly after the bike starts bogging down and the clock starts flickering (I have turned the stereo off at this point). I have no power and am having to fight to keep it running. I get it over to the side of the road and it dies. I try to start - nothing, no click and when I push the start button all the electronics go dead. I call for a ride and while waiting I try it again (about 5 minutes) it starts and runs for about 90 seconds and dies again. I try it again and nothing. I wait about 3 minutes and it turns over but won't start. Wait about 3 minutes and try to start it and this time it clicks like the soliniod is firing but the starter won't turn it over. This goes on for about 15 minutes, the longer it sits the better chance of starting but it won't keep running. Currently the bike is sitting while I am waiting for the tow truck. I feel like what has happend is that the alternator has gone out and the battery is drained. After sitting for a short period the battery recovers enough power to start it but won't last long once it runs as the alternator is dead. Does this sound reasonable? Anybody have any other suggestions? To my knowledge the alternator has never been changed.

1996 GL1500 Aspencade

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes it very much sounds like the alternator has failed. A battery will regain a bit of power when it sits for a short time, recover a little, and yes it will start and just die very quickly again.

It sounds like the alternator, but just to be sure you should fully charge the battery with a charger and have it checked also, and if it is over three years old, just figure on a new one, so that does not die on you at a later date.

Kit

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Sounds like stuck brush(s). Time for a new rear bearing, new brushes, and possible a new front seal and bearing depending on mileage. If there's no sign of oil leakage at front seal, I wouldn't mess with that end. If your mileage really is 30k.Technically, Honda doesn't condone rebuilding the front housing. That rear bearing will most likely be bone dry. I hope it hasn't spun in rear hsg.

Are you sending this on an iphone? Laptop. You sound like you're still on the side of road. :)

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I made it to work (I was only 5 miles short :p)

To my knowledge the alt has never been changed so I'm thinking it's time for a compufire - I'll learn more tonight after I get it home and am able to troubleshoot a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

bike won't run with a bad battery.... start with the simple stuff. I had a bettery fail along the road once and it ran just like that

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Typical 1500 alternator trouble. It'll run after the alt quits till battery goes down. Brushes are easy to replace, about $7 for new ones.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Yup, it is, David. Very typical. Early Hitachi's are the best ones. Mostly because the later rotors are quite unreliable. I forgit:stumped: the year that the rotors went to China. :baffled: 96 or 97. So, it's prudent to do a thorough rotor test on mid 90's>

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well got her towed home. I have the battery on a charger right now - after it's charged up I'll test it and see if she passes, if so I'll start looking at the alternator.

If it is the alternator what are my options and what are the pros and cons? I'll start researching that next.

Thanks for the info everybody.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

A sharp rap with a hammer handle, at rear of alt case, will probably make it charge again. If that's the case, a rear bearing and brush job will do. Any local Auto electric shop can do it, or owners can do it. Just be sure to have the proper fitting Phillips bit to fit the screws. Here's a bit on how to do the job. No pics, tho.

http://home.comcast.net/~rkekeis/Alternator/Alternator[1].pdf

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

That's exactly how my bike died and acted when the brushes stuck last summer on our holiday trip.Took it to an auto alt. repair shop and had it back in a couple of hours.Being a long time licensed auto tech I had the know how to do the job,but not enough tools.Also conveniently(or not)just happened to be raining that day.We were lucky that it happened in front of a gentleman's house that let me put it in his garage.He didn't have the tools either,but he gave us a couple of rides to the alt. shop.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

The dust from brush wear makes them stick, no way for it to get out. Like Oregonwinger suggested a rap got me home from the Smokies. They were only half worn out, replaced while I had apart, it's easy.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

Sounds exactly like what happened to my '93 wing. Final test was to get it home, charge battery, start it up and test output of the Alternator. Mine was definitely dead so I replaced. Evidently the Battery doesn't carry enough to go very long without Alternator.

Good Luck

Dave (Pappy) Young

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well the battery is fully charged and while it tests to be weak (though closer to good than bad) the alternator is not putting any charge out.

Looks like time to order an alternator and I'll plan on replacing the battery before spring.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Ty, let me know if you need anything.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

what I am hearing is that the alternators on the 1500's go out (like stators did on the 1200s) but are a heck of a lot easier fix

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Ty, let me know if you need anything.
Thanks buddy I'm good.
I talked to a guy last night that has built a business on rebuilding these alternators. I'm trying to decide what I want to do. He sells a higher output model that is reasonable (250) but I really don't have any extra lights or gadgets set up and am not planning on it but it would be nice if I decide I want to. The decision is of course made a little tougher with x-mas around the corner. May let her sit until after xmas and then upgrade to the higher output model. But then again knowing KS there will be some good riding days between now and then.

Decisions Decisions :?

Oh and here is the guys site if anyone wants to check it out.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resp3jbj/

Oh and Matt - that's exactly what I have heard too. can't complain though - the alternator lasted 12 years - seems pretty decent to me.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't think it matters how long the alternator has been in the bike, but how many miles it has seen. Hopefully you got at least 100k miles, otherwise I would be upset!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Chris, there are quite a few variables to contend with on alternator failures, including failures with low miles.

Heat being one of them.

A damp environment, like the coast, would make the "dust sticking the brushes" more of a problem, than say, an Arizona type environment.

Time will make the rear bearing go dry with low miles, especially with high heat thrown into the equation. The grease literally "migrates" out the seal of bearing to places unknown.

Then, of course, very high heat can kill the regulator and/or the diode pack, even with low miles.

The same with stator, or field. On the field (rotor), there's the Chinese factor on the late ones. :(

Also, over reving is a killer of fields, but that's not a problem with 1500's, or 1800's. If anything, they don't turn fast enough with grandpa type riders. I know a guy that I don't think ever gets his bike over 2000 rpm. I keep wondering when his C-Fire is going to melt. Gotta have rpm to get a decent air-flow through those dynamos to keep the heat down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.