Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, was just reading some of the installation information on 1800s and noticed nobody has recommend filling the electrical connectors with dielectric grease. Was wondering if that is something that is just assumed now? or that the 1800s do not need it? Great site Steve!!

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Dielectric greas is still put into all Honda bikes in the connectors that are prone to the weather. This includes the GL1800.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
Dielectric greas is still put into all Honda bikes in the connectors that are prone to the weather. This includes the GL1800.
I will second that. The alternator connectors have the grease and all the earth connectors under thae back of the bike have it as well.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

Have you any proprietry names for the Dielectric Grease. I have had nothing but puzzled looks when I have asked for it locally in Newcastle.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I got the same looks when I looked for it as well Dellwood. Got some sent from the USA, it's Permatex and came in small tubes for $2.99 each.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

[align=left]This is what you need and it's easily available from any 3M distributor anywhere;[/align]
[align=center]3M™ Silicone Paste (Dielectric Grease)
3M™ Dielectric Tune-Up Grease protects electrical connections, spark plug boot damage, and wiring from salt, dirt and corrision. 3M™ Silicone Paste lubricates and conditions rubber products without potentially harmful solvents.[/align]
[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]This stuff is also used by PC makers and by the overclocking enthusiasts too.[/align]

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info, went straight out & bought it at a shop I had asked previously.

They had never heard it called Dielectric grease before, but they do now :)

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
I guess my question is should I go to all the trouble of putting it in all the electrical connectors on the bike? as I have done with my 85 Aspencade. Or just the ones I feel will be exposed to the weather?

Just in casesome may not understand "Dielectric" means non conductive electrically. regular grease can under certin conditions conduct electricity, which would not be good if you have a connector with a bunch of wires in it.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
I guess my question is should I go to all the trouble of putting it in all the electrical connectors on the bike? as I have done with my 85 Aspencade. Or just the ones I feel will be exposed to the weather?
I would just do the ones exposed to the weather. Remember that the connectors on the 1800 are more modern than the older Wings. The 1800 uses the standard car type connectors in a lot of places and these have the little rubber seals and are also sealed on the outside where the wires go in. These are much better than before and probably would be hard tomake any more water proof. If you really want to do this then do all the connectors in the faring and the foghlights etc.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Thanks Joe, just my look to buy small tubes from the US when I could have got that tub locally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.