Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Found this reading...

Interesting...

[align=center]Military Development on Diesel Motorcycles[/align]
[align=center]NORTON, THE FIRST ARMY DIESEL? [/align]
I'm told that prior to the RMCS / HDT collaboration on the KLR there was indeed another such project given to producing a diesel motorcycle for the Army. In 1990 Norton Motors, Shenstone, were given the task of creating a water cooled Classic and Krauser Commander for the NEC bike show. These (petrol) bikes were completed but the show was a failure with heavy snow not helping attendance.​
The team responsible for these bikes was then due to start work on an Army version of the (petrol) machine with a Diesel version to follow shortly there after. These engines were to be mounted in Endruo/off road style frames. Wolfgang Rauen was given the task of getting a single rotor 294cc Norton Wankel Rotary engine to run on Diesel and succeeded in doing this. He spent many hours on the dynamometer sorting out the fueling only for the company to run out of money which lead to the whole Army project being canned.​
The R&D people were laid off and the company wound up Christmas 1990. The original Norton diesel project was for a portable marine fire pump. Compression was too low to ignite the fuel oil so ignition plugs were fitted into the spark plug holes. After the first few seconds the engine was hot enough to combustion ignite and ran like a diesel should. Being that the project was at a very early stage when it finished no photos or drawings exist but David tells me the Diesel Wankel ran for many hours proving its durability.​

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

[align=center]Military Prototype Diesel Motorcycles[/align]
[align=center]The D.E.R.A. Military Motorcycle[/align]
To those who take an interest in matters Military, it's common knowledge that NATO has embarked on a one fuel policy due to the fact it's cheaper and safer to have all their vehicles running on the same substance, ie: diesel. Obviously they had a slight problem when it came to motorcycles and both the British and United States Army's have embarked on various ventures to see how feesable it would be to convert existing bikes to diesel. The British converted a Royal Enfield engine to run on diesel and invited Fred Hayes of HDT over to try it out. Things went very well and R.M.C.S. landed the contract to design a completely new engine for the Marine Corps. After 2003 Petrol will no longer be allowed aboard U.S. warships and so the Corps needed to replace their existing bikes with something that used an alternative fuel.​
[align=center]
[/align]
This D.E.R.A. / R.M.C.S Bike (above) produced in1995 has an Enfield Bullet crankcase (beefed up) and a specially made top end which boasts 4 valves! It is of 547cc and produces between 16-18 BHP. Diesel injector is a modified unit from a car while the gearbox has but 4 gears. Apparently the engines flywheel is lighter than you'd normally expect to find on a diesel. The bike clocks 156 MPG @ 40MPH and 184 MPG @ 30MPH. The engine is mounted in a frame supplied by Eric Cheney. This bike easily pulls away from 250cc petrol bikes on cross country runs according to test riders.​
[align=center]
[/align]

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'll bet it rattles your teeth, it would take a Harley rider to stand it. Diesels do vibrate and a one lunger? I'd stay in the infantry! Come to think of it I did.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

[align=center]102MPG!!

On Diesel!! You just got my attention. A daily go to work scooter and save my Wing for weekends. I wonder, did anyone ever try a rotary in a bike? Seems like a natural and those would burn ANYTHING!!
[/align]

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
[align=center]102MPG!!

On Diesel!! You just got my attention. A daily go to work scooter and save my Wing for weekends. I wonder, did anyone ever try a rotary in a bike? Seems like a natural and those would burn ANYTHING!!
[/align]
Norton did the Rotax engine before their demise. Produced a few for the police over here. Don't know how successful they were, but their other problems led to their collapse before anything further could be done.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Silverfox is correct Norton did try a police special called Commander but it was rejected by most forces, no engine braking and over engineered for every day use also Honda and BMW had there own police models on the market for less money. I also seem to remember Suzuki tried a rotary engine bike in the seventys???:waving::waving::waving:Colin

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Polaris used Wankels in snowmobiles in the seventies but had problems with rotor tip and side seals. It was pretty nice, the thing ran absolutely smooth, no vibration and the sound when you rapped the throttle was something else. They also used a lot of fuel too. A friend had one, after it had about 50 hours on it the only way we could get it started was to hit it with the oxy from a cutting torch, just too little compression from the seals wearing into the sides of the aluminum sides of the rotor housing.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It'll never sell to the cruiser crowd, the pipes are too small. Nothing like having a really complicated crankshaft and piston linkage to make things interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It'll never sell to the cruiser crowd, the pipes are too small. Nothing like having a really complicated crankshaft and piston linkage to make things interesting.
This is really weird!!! I was "thinking" about a diesel motorcycle just a few days before this was brought up on this thread!!! Why, I don't know!! All I could think about was the sound of a diesel truck and what a diesel motorcycle would sound like with that knocking between your legs!!Whoops, reminds me of an exwife:shakehead:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
exavid wrote:
This is really weird!!! I was "thinking" about a diesel motorcycle just a few days before this was brought up on this thread!!! Why, I don't know!! All I could think about was the sound of a diesel truck and what a diesel motorcycle would sound like with that knocking between your legs!!Whoops, reminds me of an exwife:shakehead:
Probably sounds a lot like a Harley with the rattles and knocks between your legs.

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
stretrod48 wrote:
exavid wrote:
Probably sounds a lot like a Harley with the rattles and knocks between your legs.
I had not thought about it that way but I bet it does!! Maybe I am not well read on the Harleys!! Maybe they are diesels after all!! :baffled: :baffled: :baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
exavid wrote:
It'll never sell to the cruiser crowd, the pipes are too small.
Yeah, but just think if you put a "jake brake" on the thing for deceleration.... make a harley sound like a toy train!
I think some would sound better with a diesel motor and a "jake brake" :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Sorry, dumb a** question - what is a "jake brake"?:stumped:

Pete

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Sorry, dumb a** question - what is a "jake brake"?:stumped:

Pete
A Jake brake is a engine compression brake that uses the exhaust system to basically close off, causing the engine to build up more pressure and slowing the engine down quickly, thus slowing the vehicle down. Jake brakes have very distintive sound when they are being used.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

royal enfield do a diesel motorbike ,,I have seen them in India 2 years ago ,,They still produce royal enfield in India ,,it is exactly the same bike that was in europe in the sixtys ,,The diesel was not much louder than their petrol version ,,Not saying the diesel was quiet ,,it was just that the petrol one was loud ...cheers Ciaran

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
. Jake brakes have very distintive sound when they are being used.:D

Gene:waving:
Unless you drive a classy bus like I do/did, they have muffled jakes, very quiet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.