Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, I wound up purchasing a "cornering light" packagefor my goldwing gl1500 which presently doesn't have any. They fit into the knockouts in the bottom fairing, which are not yet knocked out, and are supposed to be plug and play.

My questions are:

1. How do the cornering lights function differently as that of thedriving lights?

My best guess is that cornering lights only come on when the corresponding turn signal is turned on (i.e. right signal on...right cornering light turns on, right signal off...right cornering light turns off,and vice versa with the left side). Conversely, driving/fog lights are controlled by a switch and are on all the time while your switch is on. Is this correct?

2. Next question...If my assessment of the functionality is correct as Isuggested in question 1 above, can I change the functionality of the cornering lights I purchased to become driving/fog lights by simply adding a switch? Are there anyadverse implications involved; such as, the bulbs in my cornering light kit are not designed to be on full time?

3. Final question...when these lights were installed at the factory, were they installed as cornering lights or as driving/fog lights? Or was either available as an option.

Please answer all three questions if you know. I truly appreciate any insight and contributions to this series of questions.

NOTE:My reason for purchasing the corning light kit over the driving light kit was that the cornering light kit was about $35 cheaper and my main purpose was to fill in those knockouts in the lower fairing with lights of some kind. But if possible, I think I would prefer fulltime driving lightsas oppesed to part timecornering lights.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

Q1 Yes (but I think illegal in the UK )
Q2 Yes .. you may want to consider a relay if the bulbs are high wattage.
Q3 Cornering Lights .. I have never bought a new GL1500 but I think that this was not an option.

Just my thoughts :smiler:

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

kemoloney wrote:
Okay, I wound up purchasing a "cornering light" packagefor my goldwing gl1500 which presently doesn't have any. They fit into the knockouts in the bottom fairing, which are not yet knocked out, and are supposed to be plug and play.

My questions are:

1. How do the cornering lights function differently as that of thedriving lights?

My best guess is that cornering lights only come on when the corresponding turn signal is turned on (i.e. right signal on...right cornering light turns on, right signal off...right cornering light turns off,and vice versa with the left side). Conversely, driving/fog lights are controlled by a switch and are on all the time while your switch is on. Is this correct?
You are right about the cornering lights but the factory driving lights appear on the 98-00 and are always on, no switch.

2. Next question...If my assessment of the functionality is correct as Isuggested in question 1 above, can I change the functionality of the cornering lights I purchased to become driving/fog lights by simply adding a switch? Are there anyadverse implications involved; such as, the bulbs in my cornering light kit are not designed to be on full time?
IIRC, the cornering lights are designed to throw more light to the side instead of forwards whereas the driving lights project more forwards but not much. The driving lights had a clear lens like the 98-00 headlights. And a switch can be added for either. But it is adviseable to add an auxilliary circuit instead of using the factory wiring. The circuit that these are added to especially for the cornering lights are also using the #3 relay for power. That circuit is pretty well loaded to begin with. The cornering lights only create a momentary draw on the circuit and it is only one light at a time. By converting the cornering lights to be on all the time, it creates a ful time draw on that circuit and eventually the relay will probably go bad or worse, the relay connectors could get overheated and melt.

3. Final question...when these lights were installed at the factory, were they installed as cornering lights or as driving/fog lights? Or was either available as an option.
These were on the SE models as cornering lights up toand including 97. From 98 on, they became driving lights. If you see them on an Interstate or Aspencade, they are probably an add on by the owner.

Please answer all three questions if you know. I truly appreciate any insight and contributions to this series of questions.

NOTE:My reason for purchasing the corning light kit over the driving light kit was that the cornering light kit was about $35 cheaper and my main purpose was to fill in those knockouts in the lower fairing with lights of some kind. But if possible, I think I would prefer fulltime driving lightsas oppesed to part timecornering lights.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

To reduce the current I installed LED bulbs in my driving lights (and also in "my spotlights" )

Attachments

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

1. Cornering lights come on with the turn signals, ie left turn signal activates the left cornering light and right TS operates the right cornering light. Cornering lights were discontinued in 1997, from 1998 the gl1500 comes with driving lights that stay on all the time.

2. You can bypass the cornering light relays on the frame, and make the lights stay on all the time. There are more than a few posts on this already that have all the details.
The downside to running them all the time is that the bulb holders often burn out. Fitting lower wattage bulbs keeps the heat down.

3. Cornering lights up to and including 1997 models. Driving lights from 1998-2000.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

My 93 has cornering lights that the PO had wired to be on all the time (actually they are thru toggle switches). I run with them on all the time and like the additional light they broadcast on the shoulders of the road.

I had ordered the driving light bulbs for my cornering lights because they were halogen and lower wattage than the incadescent cornering light bulbs but discovered they were not interchangable- the bases are different.

I think that the lens' are different, more diffuse (wider coverage area) on the cornering, more directional on the driving lens.

This is all conjecture on my part- I dont know if it's correct... perhaps someone in the know will chime in! I would like to try/see the driving lights on my bike and see the difference.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

After reading all the posts, im leaning towards installing my retrofit cornering lights as cornering lights and just adding small bullet style projection driving lights under the fairing. I dont want a bulky light bar with big rectangular or round lights that protrude out at each side. Maybe for a Harley but not for a goldwing. Its just my opinion but i feel that the cleaner the look, the more elegant the wing. I eventually plan to switch my headlight out with the 98-00 style headlight and add angel eyes HIDs. I think they look stunning and cast a nice amount of bright light. Anybody got a spare headlight for sale?

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

My 97 SE came with the standard cornering lights that as stated came on when the turn signal was activated. A couple of years ago I converted them to be on all the time as running lights. You can never have enough lights for the cagers to see. I think I posted how I did that but can't find it right now. It involved bypassing the two relays on the right side of the bike and installing toggle switches incase I want to revert. I will keep looking for that post.

Last year I changed the bulbs out to H7 LED just to increase the reliability and lower the current draw. Here is a post showing the conversion to LED.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/124101.html

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ron Wylie wrote:
Just an excuse to post pictures of my GL1500 :smiler:
Ron,

Great excuse to post pictures because its a very nice looking wing. But I gotta ask you, did you modifiy the chrome grille that covers your side fairing marker lights and drill holes to add someamber LED lights? Is that what I'm seeing in the photo? Because I love that look and now wanna do that to mine. If I am correct, what size LEDs did you use? 5mm?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Hodgy. Great info here!

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

Yes, those are 5mm LEDS in the chrome trim and they are on all the time. I mounted the LEDS into the strip in holes which I drilled and secured them in place with glue (can't remember whether it was Cyno or hot glue). I used veroboard to wire up the LEDS and reduce the voltage from 12v. Also there have a relay (each side) so that they flash alternatively with the indicators; ie when the indicator light at the front is on it cuts out the supply (via the relay) to the LEDS and so they go off and vice versa. Looks real good. I can, maybe, supply a picture of them if required.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Ron Wylie wrote:
Yes, those are 5mm LEDS in the chrome trim and they are on all the time. I mounted the LEDS into the strip in holes which I drilled and secured them in place with glue (can't remember whether it was Cyno or hot glue). I used veroboard to wire up the LEDS and reduce the voltage from 12v. Also there have a relay (each side) so that they flash alternatively with the indicators; ie when the indicator light at the front is on it cuts out the supply (via the relay) to the LEDS and so they go off and vice versa. Looks real good. I can, maybe, supply a picture of them if required.
Yes Ron, please do provide pics and instructions of EXACTLY how you did it if possible. I'm a totalmoron when it comes to lighting, relays etc. I couldn't even tell what the function of a relay is or where to locate them so the more specific you are, the more successful I will be. And if you can remember where you purchased all the items, that would greatly help too! I'mnot toosure what a veroboard is. Can you explain?

I want to add LED lighting on various areas of the bike. I currently have 150 prewired Red 5mm LEDs but I'm not set on how I'm gonna use them yet. Did you use prewired lights?I do have some 3mm Amber LEDs but I'm thinking that they may be too small for the side marker chrome strip projectthat you did. So I'll probably need to purchase some 5mm amber. It seems to me that I read somewhere that if you use parallel/series array ofso many LEDs, you have to add diodes. Can you shed some light on this? Did you use any diodes?

Thanks in advance for your help on this Ron. I really feel fortunate to have found someone on here with some knowledge in LED lighting. Its certainly the wave of the future in vehicleillumination. I will hopefully be able to return the favor sometime.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

my lights also are cornering lights with turn signals. when i bought the bike the cornering lights were on all the time but i put them back to cornering lights by locating relays.found that only 1 wire per side was disconnected;pluged them back in to operate as designed.have fog lights mounted under fairing wired from toggle thru seperate relay.i like it much better that way.i have the wide fog lights but going to switch to small round halogen lights for better look. RLM61

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

RLM61 wrote:
my lights also are cornering lights with turn signals. when i bought the bike the cornering lights were on all the time but i put them back to cornering lights by locating relays.found that only 1 wire per side was disconnected;pluged them back in to operate as designed.have fog lights mounted under fairing wired from toggle thru seperate relay.i like it much better that way.i have the wide fog lights but going to switch to small round halogen lights for better look. RLM61
That sounds like what I'm all about. Better lookwith functionality. I like the smaller fog lights much better. They're definitely more trendy. That should be an easy upgrade for you since youre all wired up already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.