Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Use any regular GL-5 rated gear oil available at the local auto store for a few dollars, with no shipping charges and don't look back. Use the money you save to buy more goodies or gas.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

If I ever saw something like that come out of my rear gear case i'd chuck that jug of oil far as I could, Why would you be putting that stuff in you rear? Makes no sence even for a flush
Wilf

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
If I ever saw something like that come out of my rear gear case i'd chuck that jug of oil far as I could, Why would you be putting that stuff in you rear? Makes no sence even for a flush
Wilf
Because I have some left...and I do not ride with it in...just run it on the centre stand for a minute or two then I dump it. As a flushing oil...its good enough for that...but thats all its good for. And thats all I use it for as I do not trust it for anything other then that. Once its gone, its gone.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
imported post

'Wings use very little; something like 5 ounces.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Yea looks to be overfilled causing foamming.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Now here is some FUN reading.....NOT...! I went to the pennzoil site to get some email address as I would like to send them the photos I have and ask them....so what is going on here. And then look what I found, so I copy and paste it here for you to read. Now this company really stands behind there products.....( in a pigs eye they do ).

Covering vehicle engine parts for do-it-yourself and installed customers by SOPUS Products.
SOPUS Products warrants you, the vehicle owner or lessee whose name appears on the front of this Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty document (“you”), that it will repair or replace, at its option and at its expense, the engine parts listed below, that fail on account of engine wear or which experience abnormal wear, because Pennzoil[suP]®[/suP] motor oil failed to provide proper lubrication. The Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty includes all the terms listed below. This Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty is free. No one may charge you a fee for it, or change it, or make any exceptions to its terms. This Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty is available on Pennzoil[suP]®[/suP] motor oil to customers who change their own oil or have their oil changed by an installer, automotive center, commercial fast oil change facility, gasoline service station, or auto dealer and who use Pennzoil[suP]®[/suP] motor oil.

THIS PENNZOIL LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, AND THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS AND NONE SHALL BE IMPLIED. ALL WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED TO THE TERMS AND DURATION OF THIS EXPRESS WARRANTY. SOPUS PRODUCTS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OR FAILURE OF THIS PRODUCT, HOWEVER CAUSED. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED LIMITED WARRANTY LASTS,OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS PENNZOIL LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. THIS PENNZOIL LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S LIMITED WARRANTY.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
Yea looks to be overfilled causing foamming.
Wilf
Good lord...it was not OVER filled or UNDER filled...and it was not even ridden...it was just run for a few minutes on it centre stand while in 5th gear so that it would move about....then drained right after. There is NO water in there as well....so do not even go there. After working on board large ships deep sea ship working in engines...repairing them, rebuilding them...I think I know how to change oil and what I am doing.....don't you think....if after 37 years I have not figured it out by now...I never will. Its something about this oil....and ONLY this oil....I have no idea whats going on....only that it foams like mad with very little effort being put into it.

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Overfilling or under filling would have absolutely no bearing on the product foaming or not.It only has to do with the character composition of the product itself.And tell me,how do you overfill a final drive?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

moonhead wrote:
Overfilling or under filling would have absolutely no bearing on the product foaming or not.It only has to do with the character composition of the product itself.And tell me,how do you overfill a final drive?
Well....when you figure that one out.....you let me know....as it keeps pouring out the filler hole all the time.....thats a real toughy for sure....

:ROFL: :D

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
"Hypoid
Hypoid gear sets are a form of bevel gear, but offer improved efficiency and higher ratios over traditional straight bevel gears. Commonly found in axle differentials and used as the ring and pinion gears, hypoid gears are used to transmit power from the driveline to the axle shafts.  Because of the spiral design and sliding action of Hypoid gears extreme pressure additives are required." (taken from the Amsoil site) My thinking is that if you're using "gear oil" of 80-90 weight, you shouldn't have any issues. But that is my opinion only, use at your own risk. However, that being said, I also run synthetic 80-90 gear oil in my differential. I change it every season.

Regards,

Hobie
"Ditto" from the Beast with the use and maintenance. I see very little wear.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

And for what its worth....I have written to PENNZOIL...to there head office...to there tech support group and every other address they had listed. Sent them the photos...and asked them....WHY this oil is doing what its doing...as I am little pissed that I paid as much as I did for a oil that is in most part.....USELESS..! However interesting part of...I got a computer reply to my letter to them. And here is something I did not know. It seems that PENNZOIL is a Shell Oil company... See computer reply sent to my letter. Also NOTE the address of there head office...

Thank you for contacting Shell.

Your request has been received and is being processed. You will
receive an update shortly.

This email has been automatically generated. Do not reply to this
email. Replies to this email will not be read.

Regards,

The material in this email may be confidential, privileged and/or
protected by copyright. Use of this e-mail should be limited
accordingly. If this email has been sent to you in error, please
contact us immediately.

Shell Shared Services (Asia), B.V.
21st Floor, Solaris One
130 Dela Rosa Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City
1229 Philippines

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

A lot of people call synthetic snake oil I have lucas in my rear end and mobil 1 in my 1200 LTD It shifts better with Synthetic and since change the rear end to synthetic the rear end is a lot quieter.Very big change I highly reccomend synthetic.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Freddie Johnston wrote:
A lot of people call synthetic snake oil I have lucas in my rear end and mobil 1 in my 1200 LTD It shifts better with Synthetic and since change the rear end to synthetic the rear end is a lot quieter.Very big change I highly reccomend synthetic.
Well nice to see that all them thar snakes are good for something....guess I got to go out and get me some snake juice too......

:cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A lot quieter in the rear end? I've never had a 'Wing that made noise in the rear end, there might be something that needs looking into on one that does. 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500 and now 1800 none of them made noise in the final drive.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm not interested in arguing with someonewho does not understand how easy it is to overfill a wing rear drive.I'm outta here
Wilf

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
I'm not interested in arguing with someonewho does not understand how easy it is to overfill a wing rear drive.I'm outta here
Wilf
Please explain to me how you can OVER fill the rear drive unit in a gold wing...let see there is a filler hole...the book calls for it to be filled to the just a hair below the threads where that cap screws on....OK...OK...so you add a few more drops and it runs out as it can not hold any more....how is that over filling it.

Well in that case...better get out a level and make perfectly sure the flat and level ground that the manual says to place it in....on its centre stand had better be perfectly level...and I might as well get out a level and make sure the bike is perfectly level as well.

Fact it, you really can NOT over fill it...if you put in TOO much it will pour out the filler hole and then whats left in there....is now the right amount.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I actually deliberately 'overfilled' the final drives on all the 'Wings I've owned. I always fill 'em on the side stand so I can get more oil into the final. I can't see how any kind of overfilling would be harmful, if you got too much in there it would simply be thrown out the vent anyway. Since the final is vented to the atmosphere there's no way excessive oil could build up internal pressure so there's not much chance of a leaking seal. If 'overfilling' caused a leak it would be due to a deteriorating seal.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Yes one can do that. I use to do that on my shadow, it meant only about a table spoon worth of extra oil going in. And like you said "IF" it would be over filled it will throw the rest out through the vent on top. It never did that, and never had a deal ever leak. The only way I can see that one could maybe over fill it, that would mean laying the bike on its side and then filling it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.