Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sooo- I have been talking with the guy I am getting my '82 Interstate from on Friday, and something he mentioned struck me as a little off...

He specifically mentioned that the onboard compressor on the bike gave up the ghost years ago, and was too expensive to bother fixing. He then went into some detail on how he'd just added an air fitting to inflate the rear shocks as necessary.

Since I am a bit of a perfectionist, I immediately went looking for a replacement compressor for the bike.

I checked the parts fische on bikebandit, the local Honda dealer, etc, and the only model I can find in '82 that has an onboard compressor is the Aspencade.

Here's today's silly question- is there a visible difference between the A and I models? I have a bunch of detail photos of the bike, so if there's an obvious difference I should be able to spot it.

Thanks folks!
Merlyn

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

I have an 82 aspy and to my knowledge the 1100A is the only model of that year with the built in aircompressor. its in the false tank. if i am mistaken i am sure i will be corrected shortly lol

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

Merlyn wrote:
Sooo- I have been talking with the guy I am getting my '82 Interstate from on Friday, and something he mentioned struck me as a little off...

He specifically mentioned that the onboard compressor on the bike gave up the ghost years ago, and was too expensive to bother fixing. He then went into some detail on how he'd just added an air fitting to inflate the rear shocks as necessary.

Since I am a bit of a perfectionist, I immediately went looking for a replacement compressor for the bike.

I checked the parts fische on bikebandit, the local Honda dealer, etc, and the only model I can find in '82 that has an onboard compressor is the Aspencade.

Here's today's silly question- is there a visible difference between the A and I models? I have a bunch of detail photos of the bike, so if there's an obvious difference I should be able to spot it

Thanks folks!
Merlyn
Besides 2 tone paint job & air compressor in false tank, they also had vented rotors . Not sure on the dash section on the 82 but the 83 had a digital set up. Look on the left side fork neck , if it says GL1100a for Aspencade, GL1100i for interstate , & Just GL1100 for standard. Post a pic so we all can see. Also what color is it (stock or repaint)

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

the 82A had a normal analog speedo and tach with a digital radio indicator/clock thats the only digital on mine and yes they have teh vented brakes in 82 the forks would be your best be to know for sure unless they ahve been replaced at some time in the 26 years of roads lol

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
imported post

Nice looking bike there.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

She`s an interstate with a little Aspy touches (pouches on back top box) Does it run & if so when were the timming belts changed ?? if owner can`t remember , change them or it could be bad news later on. Just reread & the bike is a 1000 miles from you ??? is that round trip or one way . And hate to be noisy but how much is he asking ?? only because price of gas & fuel milage of vehicle your using should be factored in .

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

confish86 wrote:
She`s an interstate with a little Aspy touches (pouches on back top box) Does it run & if so when were the timming belts changed ?? if owner can`t remember , change them or it could be bad news later on. Just reread & the bike is a 1000 miles from you ??? is that round trip or one way . And hate to be noisy but how much is he asking ?? only because price of gas & fuel milage of vehicle your using should be factored in .
Haven't asked on the timing belts- but I image not in a long time, if ever. He bought it in '85 with 41K on the clock, and it has 44-45K now. I had planned to hit him up about that when I pick it up Friday.

As for the deal, it's a little strange. The bike is currently sitting 900+ miles away (one way) in MN, and I am trading him a 1978 MGB project car for it, straight across. We are going to meet in Nebraska, 450 miles away for both of us. It's a pretty good deal- fair to both of us I think, even factoring in gas and time.

It runs and drives (he's been riding it to work the last week or so) needs that compressor I mentioned, fork seals (on order), and lots of sandblasting and re-chroming on various farkles. I have a compressor, I am building a sandblasting cabinet, and I have a home powder coating setup, so that's a non-issue.

Come oooooon Friday
Merlyn

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

My 82 Aspy. I don't have a pic of the faux tank, but that is where the compressor contol went. If he did take it out, he replaced the lid, if not a big square hole would be left.......sweet looking bike your getting!!:clapper:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

wolfblade wrote:
I have an 82 aspy and to my knowledge the 1100A is the only model of that year with the built in aircompressor. its in the false tank. if i am mistaken i am sure i will be corrected shortly lol
:waving:I know in '83 the onboard compressor was an option on the Interstate and was also probably optional on the '82 Interstate.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

confish86 wrote:
I agree, it's an Interstate with a few added options and goodies.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

confish86 wrote:
Also what color is it (stock or repaint)
:waving:Looking at the pictures I thingk the color is "Blue Black Metallic" which really looks better than black which was also available. A friend bought a '82 Standard new and it is "Blue Black Metallic.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Here's a pic of my '82 GL1100 Aspy. The compressor control is on the faux tank. Note the TomTom GPS is not original stock item:shock:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks, everyone!

Looks like I am back to looking for Interstate parts :: grin ::

I'll post some more pics this weekend, once I get her home

Merlyn

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
confish86 wrote:
Also what color is it (stock or repaint)
:waving:Looking at the pictures I thingk the color is "Blue Black Metallic" which really looks better than black which was also available. A friend bought a '82 Standard new and it is "Blue Black Metallic.
AHHH if you noticed i posted the question before he posted the pics . But thanks for the info , as my 81 was the same color untill the P.O. painted it with a spray can . :shock:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I don't think I have ever noticed a plexiglass headlight shield like yours has. Did that come as a stock option?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

whitehouse wrote:
I don't think I have ever noticed a plexiglass headlight shield like yours has. Did that come as a stock option?
I dunno- Never seen one before myself, but I'll admit to not paying a lot of attention to details on the older Wings until I decided to get one.

Once I get it home, I'll check and see A: if it looks like a stock install and B: How retro-fitable it looks :: grin ::

Speaking of retro-fitting - I have been looking around a bit, and I'm wondering how difficult/worthwhile it would be to retrofit a digital dash off a slightly newer Aspencade (say an '83) onto her? I really like the digital dashes, and I see them on ebay quite a bit...

Merlyn

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Merlyn wrote:
whitehouse wrote:
I dunno- Never seen one before myself, but I'll admit to not paying a lot of attention to details on the older Wings until I decided to get one.

Once I get it home, I'll check and see A: if it looks like a stock install and B: How retro-fitable it looks :: grin ::

Speaking of retro-fitting - I have been looking around a bit, and I'm wondering how difficult/worthwhile it would be to retrofit a digital dash off a slightly newer Aspencade (say an '83) onto her? I really like the digital dashes, and I see them on ebay quite a bit...

Merlyn
the plexiglass headlight cover is aftermarket. i have one on a 81 but havent finished it yet to tell what it will do at night. retrofitting the 83 aspencade dash will probably take a 83 aspencade harness and a 83 aspencade speedo sensor at the least. JB

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

A little good news for you though. Your '82 Interstate didn't come with an onboard compressor, and the one that's been fitted wasn't from an Aspencade. I'm betting it's identical to mine in fact.

Inside the fairing, under the left turn signal you will find a motor and compressor cylinder...it'll basically be one of those 12V emergency compressors with all the plastic ripped off of it.

You can replace it for about $20 with the use of a little ingenuity.

Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There really isn't any need for the on board compressor. I've had four 1100s, two Aspencades and two Interstates. It's a lot easier to just carry a small bicycle pump. The compressor panel on top of the false tank really doesn't look all that sharp, gets in the way of a tank bag and is a common cause of leaks. I had Progressive fork springs on my last 1100, there was no need for air in the front at all. The rear shocks will hold air for a long time without adding any if you don't have the compressor.

It would be more useful to spend a few dollars on a headlight modulator, brakelight modulator and air horns. Those can save more than money. One other add on that would be worth having would be an electronic cruise control. Really nice on long trips.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.