Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2012 Goldwing in July of this year. It had 2 miles on it when I got it and it now has 4800. Before the Goldwing I rode a VTX1800C for nearly 8 years and still own it today. However, I haven't ridden the X but once since I bought the Wing and that was this last Sunday.

I knew I loved the Wing and Sunday's ride on the X only confirmed it. Don't get me wrong, the X was and is a great bike. I had many enjoyable miles on it, but it felt totally alien to me when I rode it Sunday. It was so weird, instead of feeling like a an old friend, it felt like a total stranger. It was as if I had never ridden it before.

Why you say? The first thing I noticed is how heavy it felt. The X is a heavy bike, but not as heavy as the Wing. It felt cumbersome, resistant to steering input, and unbalanced. I was amazed at how quickly I forgot how it felt to ride the X after only three months of riding the Wing. I know they are totally different bikes and meant for different riding styles, but wow, what a shocker.

So I have decided to sell my X since I don't ride it and it is only taking up space in the garage. I will miss it, but man, that Wing is wonderful new mistress.:grin:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I upgraded from an 86 Goldwing to a new 2008 Goldwing. I didn't ride the 86 for about a year. When I did ride the 86 I appreciated how much nicer the 2008 was...more power, nicer handling. It's hard to beat the 1800 Goldwing. Don

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I had a R model 18 that I RODE FOR 7 YEARS THAT I SOLD TO BUY THE WING,,LOVED THAT BIKE ,LUV THE WING MORE..:)

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Actually had two bikes I was riding before the Goldwing purchase. I traded in my '01 Kaw Nomad but still have my '02 Honda Sabre. The Sabre will be sold in the spring because since acquiring the Wing, it just sits.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,631 Posts
I also have an ST1100 Honda bike in my stable.

Strange thing that critter, it is more fun to ride than the GL1500 and it is a heck of a lot easier to manage in the sub 5 mph turns.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Actually had two bikes I was riding before the Goldwing purchase. I traded in my '01 Kaw Nomad but still have my '02 Honda Sabre. The Sabre will be sold in the spring because since acquiring the Wing, it just sits.

I bought my 2002 (in 2002) Honda Sabre and rode it for a couple years.
The girlfriend didn't like the seat, so got the 85 Goldwing for longer rides.
Found I rode the Wing more than the Sabre.
Road trips to Calif, san diego to san fran to denver.
Denver to san antonio.
Ohio to denver to san antonio back to ohio
Ohio to Virginia Beach
Ohio to the Ozarks.

However, since I lost my leg ina MC accident last May, I can't ride.
Till next summer when I get the Wing and a Voyager kit.

The Wing has 105K, and the Sabre around 48K
Not selling either
May put a voyager on the SAbre too.
So I'll have a tour bike and a town cruizer.
Life be good

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I had a Sabre before I got the VTX. It was a good bike for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Nice photos, thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I bought my 2012 Goldwing in July of this year. It had 2 miles on it when I got it and it now has 4800. Before the Goldwing I rode a VTX1800C for nearly 8 years and still own it today. However, I haven't ridden the X but once since I bought the Wing and that was this last Sunday.

I knew I loved the Wing and Sunday's ride on the X only confirmed it. Don't get me wrong, the X was and is a great bike. I had many enjoyable miles on it, but it felt totally alien to me when I rode it Sunday. It was so weird, instead of feeling like a an old friend, it felt like a total stranger. It was as if I had never ridden it before.

Why you say? The first thing I noticed is how heavy it felt. The X is a heavy bike, but not as heavy as the Wing. It felt cumbersome, resistant to steering input, and unbalanced. I was amazed at how quickly I forgot how it felt to ride the X after only three months of riding the Wing. I know they are totally different bikes and meant for different riding styles, but wow, what a shocker.

So I have decided to sell my X since I don't ride it and it is only taking up space in the garage. I will miss it, but man, that Wing is wonderful new mistress.:grin:
yea really! i bought my wife a new 06 1800 vtx, and after i ride my wing, then get on the x, wow, man!, the difference is unbelievable! the wing feels so much lighter, and more nimble, than the x. everything you just said, is exactly how i feel about it. yall keep on winginit rick

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
A wing is a wing is a wing, however. I would not mind having a 137" S&S powered chopper, so I am getting that in addition to the wing. That way I can have a GF dressing like a pirate and it's all accepted and good....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.