Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My 75 GL1000 developed a bad knock, which seemed to be due to a bad connecting rod bearing. I couldn't find a good engine block anywhere near me for a reasonable price, but found a complete running 79 GL1000 pretty cheap to use the engine from.

The 79 I just got has carbs from a 1982 GL1100 installed on it. It seems to run nicely, but since its the dead of winter here I can't really test out the performance much. The owner claims that they work better and require less maintenance than the originals. I do have the original 79 carbs for it as well.

My question is, which carb setup would work best on the 79 engine block???

I've heard that using my old '75 carbs and cams would allow for higher performance than the original 79's.

Does anyone have any opinions on using 82 carbs on the 79 engine? Would they work best with the '75 or '79 cams?

Will likely have more questions about how to combine these two bikes into one as I get into it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm no expert but I have heard from a number of people that the carbs on the GL1100s are better and many fit them to their 1000s. I have 1982 carbs too but they are on my 82 GL1100 :)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Some have put the 75-75 came in the later 1000 and 1100s.
Some have put a single Carb conversion on.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If it were me, i would rum cams and carbs from a 75, they are scarey fast when set up correctally

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
If it were me, i would rum cams and carbs from a 75, they are scarey fast when set up correctally
X2!!

They cams and carbs are matched for best performace, and by far the early ones are the BEST 'sport' Wings. Yes, the early carb.s are harder to work with (but only a little), and are so worth the effort.

Bill

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
If you use the 75 carbs and cams you will also need to use the spark advance from the 75. The timing is different from 75 to79,I thank the 75 is 5 deg. BTDC and the 79 is 10 deg BTDC. I have this setup on my 79 and like it very much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.