Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Hi NSJOE,

I just put one in my Gl1500 SE and it works great. Easy to wire in (just 2 wires)

Hickey

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

what unit did you buy Hickey (from where)?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Joe,

It looks just like the one you seen ( the first one from Goldwing Chrome) it was made by or for Show Chrome. I got it off ebay for $22.00.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yup, I have that same exact one. Works beautifully. I added a switch so it could be turned off.

Caveat:It needs tobe wired directly to the battery, otherwise you'll get a false reading.

·
Premium Member
61,946 Posts
imported post

I just installed one from E Bay very similar.. 2 1/2 in. long, 1 in. high, works great.. $9.99 including shipping from China..
It was under M/C parts, LED voltmeter.. They have them in Red, Blue, and I think Orange.. I went with red shows up good.. 2 wire hook up........

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks for all the input. Chris in va....nice pic. Why does it have to be wired direct to the battery? I thought it was to be wired through an accessory block of the fuse panel. If idrect to the battery, should I put in an in-line fuse?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,819 Posts
imported post

The Datel unit is a strong commercial manufacturer of all things digital.

It would be a good one. Maybe not the cheapest though.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Direct to the battery will give a more accurate reading, but it will be on all the time. I wired mine to the accesory block as you suggest- so it's only alive with the ignition. You could also "T" into an ignition live near the front of the bike. You'll just get a slightly lower reading due to the cable resistance etc. It doesn't matter really- you can still see the voltage rise with revs so you know the bike's charging ok. Steve

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

that's exactly what I'm after....being able to see the voltage rise with the revs. Thanks Steve.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

I recently installed one like Foodman was mentioning. It works great for $9. It does not come with directions. Three wire hook-up. One to the battery +, one to the battery - , and one to the fuse block so it only comes on with the ignition.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I ordered the one from Cyclemax last night. Just like the one in the pic from chris in va.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

I hooked mine up to the accessories connectoron the fuse panel. From what you would loss in the reading is not that great ( maybe .05 volts ).

Hickey

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
I just installed one from E Bay very similar.. 2 1/2 in. long, 1 in. high, works great.. $9.99 including shipping from China..
It was under M/C parts, LED voltmeter.. They have them in Red, Blue, and I think Orange.. I went with red shows up good.. 2 wire hook up........
I'm looking to put one on mine also.
Was the unit you got on E-bay a sealed unit?-as in enclosed from the elements?
The ones I saw for 9.99 appeared to be open boards .

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

that's all I could find (open boards)....and the ship time was over a week. The one I ordered from Cyclemax will be here tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

That is probably what I'll do,(order from Cyclemax). Their unit looks nice and compact and I want to put it in my tone/volume level panel on the left lower panel. I have a button on it now for my Homelink and that voltmeter should fit very well.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

Has anyone else found any LCD meters that have back-lighting for a reasonable cost?
That might be an option to keep the guages all the same type.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
imported post

Hickey, where did you mount your voltmeter?
I have the same one but can't find a spot on a 1500 that I really like.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.