Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Hi Uny_Pete'

I mounted it just above the radio were the Honda design is. I made a holder (vacuum formed) out of some black ABS plastic. Then I cut a hole Thur the cover and glued it in from the back side.

I'll try and get a picture of it and see if I can figure out how to down load it on the site here.

Hickey

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi pete i fitted mine in one of these vents just cut out 3 of the fins on the right side fits real snug then drop the wires under the glove box you can tap into the loom there

·
Premium Member
61,956 Posts
imported post

g-townram wrote:
Foodman wrote:
I just installed one from E Bay very similar.. 2 1/2 in. long, 1 in. high, works great.. $9.99 including shipping from China..
It was under M/C parts, LED voltmeter.. They have them in Red, Blue, and I think Orange.. I went with red shows up good.. 2 wire hook up........
I'm looking to put one on mine also.
Was the unit you got on E-bay a sealed unit?-as in enclosed from the elements?
The ones I saw for 9.99 appeared to be open boards .

Thanks
The one I bought looks open in the back but it's sealed with a clearsealant for protection. I don't know how waterproof they are but it looks pretty well sealed.. It works great and the price is right, $9.99.. About a week in shipping..

I don't have a CB so I cut a hole in that panel and wired it to the Assisory leg.... No instructions but it's a no brainier.. Got a free Chines good luck charm with it.. Hope that wasn't telling me something..........................

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
imported post

Here is where I installed the voltmeter. I'm guessing my stator is ok for now....14.5 volts while idling at 1K rpm...

I guess I can take that plastic film off now. Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

As for sealed boards.... I had an ATV a few years back that I put a volt meter on and it was an open style. As much mud and water I ran through I needed it to be sealed. Here is what I did and worked great until the day I sold it. I got a can of the plastic dip like you coat tool handles with. I taped off the face very good and held the wires. I lowered it into the dip all the way up the wires until I had 1 inch of wire coated. I then hung it up to dry. After dry I took a hobby knife and trimmed along the edge of the face that was taped and it peeled right off the face. The rest was sealed to the weather.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
imported post

good idea....this one is completely sealed. I cut the hole really tight, then put a thick bead of clear adhesive caulk under the lip, and also sealing the unit to the sides from the back...should be fine.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

How about links to these cheaper Volt meters?

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
imported post

Boy this forum is great! I've been contimplating a volt meter on my 84 but haven't found anything I liked accept the glowshift unit which is the standard round 52mm unit more for cars. It's a nice unit but kinda big so landing it on the bike had me stumped. This square one looks perfect and will blend right in very nice. Thanks for the info. I'd like to put a set of fog lights on my engine bars, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Hey Hickey, how did you do the vacuum forming procedure? I need to replace the faceplate on my 1200 and that would work for me. Thanks in advance for the info.

Ritchie

·
Premium Member
61,956 Posts
imported post

Mike Toon wrote:
How about links to these cheaper Volt meters?
Can't remember the guy address.. He's in Chine and it takes about a week.. The one I got was on E Bay M/C parts Led Volt Meter.. Have had it in for about 1k miles, works good.. $9.99 including shipping can't beat the deal..

As mention before taking the power off the acct will lose about .05 volt..:waving::waving::waving:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.