Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have arthritic shoulders, and face the same kind of operation that UbarW just went through...... right shoulder this time, the doc did the left in 2005/6.....

My dilemma? I have two passions: skiing and motorcycling (not counting Red, of course). Can't decide when to go under the knife.... ski season ebbing, and riding season beginning....... arrggghhhh! At least six weeks before riding? Probably 3 months to be sure..... last time at 3 months they okay'd me to ride, as long as "you don't try and catch it if it falls over!"

Got an appointment on the 16th.... need to have decided by then...... arrrggghhh!

The life of a committed ski patroller and motorcycist is sheer hell!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Attachments

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

if you dont do it, in favor of riding and skiing now, you may not be able to do it at all later.

an ounce of prevention...

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Dude! If this is the Osteoarthritis type...get thee to the local Health Food store and load up on Glucosamine supplements. Take at least 1800mg/day. Its OK if they contain Chondroitin, too (1200mg/day).

Won't work if you're allergic to sea food, as the stuff is made from ground sea shells and bovine cartilage, etc., but it works perfect for me (thumb bases) and nearly everyone else I know with OA, if they take enough daily.

One friend has diabetes pretty bad, and it raises his blood sugar (he says), but most folks that use it, wouldn't give it up for anything...

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Fenderhead is right, it is a miracle drug with little or no side effects. Your other option is to let me do the operation for you. I won't charge a dime and you can begin riding the following week. I stayed at Holiday Inn Express this weekend so I am good to go for this operation for at least a month!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Bernie

PS: When you do have it repaired our prayers will be with you.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Well Mel,,,,,, if you have it done right away, and able to ride and ski in 3 months,,,,,,, then that would mean you would be able to ride bout mid season andinto the fall. And be ready for ski season for sure.

Yep,,,,,,,,,, you'll miss this early season, but we are all here to let you know how good it is:cooldevil::cheeky1:

Keep us posted bud.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
Dude! If this is the Osteoarthritis type...get thee to the local Health Food store and load up on Glucosamine supplements. Take at least 1800mg/day. Its OK if they contain Chondroitin, too (1200mg/day).

Won't work if you're allergic to sea food, as the stuff is made from ground sea shells and bovine cartilage, etc., but it works perfect for me (thumb bases) and nearly everyone else I know with OA, if they take enough daily.

One friend has diabetes pretty bad, and it raises his blood sugar (he says), but most folks that use it, wouldn't give it up for anything...

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html
Yeah, I'm already on this stuff..... been taking it for years!

Problem is I grow bone spurs, which then tear the rotator...........

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Another cheer for glucosamine - my 12-year-old dog has severe osteoarthritis in her back where she broke it on the track many years ago (she's a rescue Greyhound). About 4 years ago it was getting so bad that I had her on a narcotic painkiller almost all the time just so that she could get up and walk around. It was to the point where I was starting to wonder if it was worth prolonging her life any longer, because of the amount of constant pain she was in.

My sister in law (a naturopathic doctor) recommended glucosamine, and I put her on it - 4000 mg/day. She rapidly improved, I took her off the painkillers, and she hasn't been on them now for over 3 years.

Here she is just one month ago:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/yRr08FgpQlk&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Teach Red to drive that bike and then you can still ride while you're healing up!!:action:

You never know, she might like it so much that from then on you'll be the back seat driver!!:cheeky1:

Seriously though, I know the feeling. Both my shoulders are getting to ache, plus my hips, eyes going bad, teeth falling out, what's left???

Just as long as my old 1200 keeps going, that's all that matters. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Well as far as the skiing goes - I know this is on the water - but knowing you from the forum as the inventive type I'm thinking you and Red could figure out something like this.

As far as the motorcycling - time to "ride bitch" as the Hardley boys say...:D

BTW - good luck with this. In all seriousness... we'll probably all have to address this at some point. Arthritis is visiting me for the forst year or so and chose my TAILBONE as the place to start. REAL PIA when it flares and I try to stand after sitting - been making riding more painful off and on the past year.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack, you know it is the right thing to do. Just to keep riding and skiing later. Is there really a decision to make about this. Besides, it will give you a lot more time to writing. I know what you are going through, I need a back operation and have been putting it off until the last possible moment when it just doesn't work anymore. Mine is a fusion, yours is a repair. I'd take the repair anytime. Our prayers are with you.:)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Cousin Jack, you know it is the right thing to do. Just to keep riding and skiing later. Is there really a decision to make about this. Besides, it will give you a lot more time to writing. I know what you are going through, I need a back operation and have been putting it off until the last possible moment when it just doesn't work anymore. Mine is a fusion, yours is a repair. I'd take the repair anytime. Our prayers are with you.:)
Thanks, Spider! Most of this was tongue-in-cheek....... I have an excellent surgeon, Dr. Roux from Yakima. He's a young, happy guy, a skier himself, who works on a lot of professional athletes.... of which I ain't! I'm lucky he takes me on... The last surgery was really a piece of cake.... even though the first time I took my arm out of the sling it felt like it was gonna break off and drop to the floor!

Many, many people have it way worse than me! I just hate not riding, not even for a piddly3 months!

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

Mel if the procedure is done early May you should be good to go for Montrose :action:. Perhaps we can find you some snow at that time also . skooter up the moutain and ski back to the valley . We'll find someone to guide the 1300 back to the bottom.

My prayers that all goes well and your soon ready to play . You are lucky to have a passion for each season and your wonderful Red to share them with .

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

Having done both, I'd say there are more uncontrolled variables skiing. Hence, i'd think you'd want to be in the better condition for that, sacrificing some riding season.

Also, as a rider you're there for yourself and can adjust accordingly. As a patroller you're there for others and have to be able to give 100%.

There's my 2 coppers.

Good luck on your recovery.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Good luck to you and best wishes how ever you decide.

Keep in mind that while you are unable to ride, someone will have to ride your bike for you to keep it running well. :cooldevil: Let us know. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Skiing is a physical activity that contributes a lot more to your overall health than riding does. A few months of lost riding time will not effect your overall health but loss of a few month of physical activity could. I spent some time with my Father last week. He is 76 still riding daily and living a good life. He asked me how long I thought he could keep going. I told him that it was up to him. As long as he got regular exercise and kept pushing everyday he would live forever!

Just kind of thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
if you dont do it, in favor of riding and skiing now, you may not be able to do it at all later.

an ounce of prevention...
UBarW this is so true, CJ so many close people in my life I see let these things go on way too long and usually end up paying the price in the latter part of their life. I know it's a hard decision to make but I would go ahead and bite the bullet.

P.S. Tell your boss I will gladly come out and take your place on ski patrol the duration of your recovery.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Did I hear you are dividing up all your ski gear while you are out and your motorcycle(s) as well for upkeep. You should not be burdened with them while your recovering. :D:waving:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

CJ my prayers are with you in what ever you do decide to do....I too know that feeling of spurs, mine are on the backs of both of my heels and one under the right heel..I have been putting off having surgery for way too long...... I can tell you this for sure..There is nothing worse than needing to get up to make a bathroom run, and knowing that when you put your weight on that heel you are going to be in some real sever pain....It brings tears to my eyes.....And being a mild diabetic, if there is such a thing, I can't take this off the shelf medications, because it jacks with my blood sugar, and my Doctor won't let me take them... So all I can tell you is, that if not done, then it might even come down to not being able to put your arm around that lovely wife of yours....So whats a few months of not riding to the enjoyment of putting your arm around Red's shoulders????

It can and will only get worse so for yours, Reds, and those who need you on the ski slopes....... getter done....

Claude.....

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Did I hear you are dividing up all your ski gear while you are out and your motorcycle(s) as well for upkeep. You should not be burdened with them while your recovering. :D:waving:

No, I am not dividing up any of my toy gear while I recover! In fact, I'm gonna stand guard over it with some of my other toys (Remington 700 in 260 Remington among others!).... I can work that therebolt with one hand! And I got five fingers till capable of triggering that round! Jeez.... guy gets a little down, and the vultures flock!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Thanks, Knuclebucket...... I've gone through one such op, piece of cake really..... I just like to complain! And you wouldn't like my ski patrol job.... or the boss.... she's too good looking.... and she's morally loose..... likes married men, she does......says they keep secrets pretty good....... and she's got to becareful, with her modeling contracts and all..... and you would have to practice mouth to mouth on the poor homely little thing.... who looks kind of like Angelina Jolie..... naw...... you wouldn't like my ski patrol job at all! That's why I'm waiting until the end of the season!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

(Justkidding actually, I'm a one woman man, and she's got red hair.....very red hair if you know what I mean!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.