Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My low fuel light is so dim that it would get anyone’s attention,I check it when the gauge gets to red mark but seems like it used to be brighter,could it need a new bulb?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,507 Posts
the thermister is going bad, nothing serious.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its new sort of,2 years

·
Administrator
25,972 Posts
Simple enough to check. Ground the wire to the thermistor and if the light is bright the thermistor is bad.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
A part number and instructions are somewhere for a thermistor. I replaced mine. Piece of cake. Now I want to use 2, one higher than the other. Then the light will come on dim then brighter. I have not tested this idea.

David

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I’m being overly cautious,will the light become brighter as the fuel goes lower,mine worked when I got it in 2004 but I don’t recall its variation,I always refill it at around 200 miles so I can’t say for sure it ever was bright,I think I will take a gas can and run it low and see how it operates

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
Maybe I’m being overly cautious,will the light become brighter as the fuel goes lower,mine worked when I got it in 2004 but I don’t recall its variation,I always refill it at around 200 miles so I can’t say for sure it ever was bright,I think I will take a gas can and run it low and see how it operates
Yes, it is a thermistor. That is it will change resistance with heat. There is current flowing through the light always but the cool fuel makes the resistance so high it can't light the filament. When the thermistor is nno longer submerged in cool fuel the resistance and the temperature starts changing. The light comes on dim but should get brighter with less gas to cool it.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
When you have approximately 1.1 gallons of fuel left in the tank the "Low Fuel" light will illuminate Dimly. After you use "one tenth" of a gallon of fuel (about 3-4 miles "depending on your average mpg") the "Low Fuel" light will become brighter. With one gallon of fuel left in the tank, the "Low Fuel" light will be at its brightest.....!! If everything is working as designed.

Based on some "testing and experience"....!!

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Yes, it is a thermistor. That is it will change resistance with heat. There is current flowing through the light always but the cool fuel makes the resistance so high it can't light the filament. When the thermistor is nno longer submerged in cool fuel the resistance and the temperature starts changing. The light comes on dim but should get brighter with less gas to cool it.
But the light bulb is not always drawing current....!!! It only draws current when the Thermistor "resistance" changes.

I have been wrong before, won't hurt my feelings to be wrong again.....!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Voltage is always available. Current flows to ground when the thermistor is no longer in the gasoline and warms up. So you have + voltage through the bulb. Thermistor is cooled by gasoline. It does not conduct much. because it’s cool. Once the gas is gone, the thermistor warms up and conducts to ground and the light comes on. Bbecause the electricity is flowing from + to - through the bulb and through the thermistor in series.
Clear as mud?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Voltage is always available. Current flows to ground when the thermistor is no longer in the gasoline and warms up. So you have + voltage through the bulb. Thermistor is cooled by gasoline. It does not conduct much. because it’s cool. Once the gas is gone, the thermistor warms up and conducts to ground and the light comes on. Bbecause the electricity is flowing from + to - through the bulb and through the thermistor in series.
Clear as mud?
Yep,I guess I need to just run mine down low to assure it’s fine,THANKS

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took me some gas and went riding,the light cam on an seems it got brighter but if I looked into the bottom of the window it was brighter,it may have dis lodged.
226 miles on 5.6 gal,40 mpg

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Took me some gas and went riding,the light cam on an seems it got brighter but if I looked into the bottom of the window it was brighter,it may have dis lodged.
226 miles on 5.6 gal,40 mpg
The bulb socket can be accessed by reaching up under the dash.....!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Right side of the ignition switch area.

Lay a mirror down to look up under the dash area, you will see the bulb socket.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right side of the ignition switch area.

Lay a mirror down to look up under the dash area, you will see the bulb socket.
Ok,I’ll try that soon.thanks

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah and 30 miles of that was 85 mph👍👍

Reactions: DBohrer
1 - 20 of 30 Posts