1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Wheel

Tire Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Tool Angle grinder Metal

I could not stand my dirty wheels, the clear coat was cracked and comming off so i took 2 fine wire wheels and took all the clear coat off then used 1200 wet dry sand paper then polished the surface with mothers aluminum polish on a 4" auto buffing pad in my drill. Then put a good coat of wax on them. took about 2 hours for the front wheel. I will keep them clean as the po did not!!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Looks good Mike!!! Just let me know when your ready for mine??...LOL

·
Premium Member
67,635 Posts
Looks nice, how long did it take you

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just under 2 hours for the front wheel

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
What type of wire wheels did you use and did they do much scratching that needed sanding out?

Good job and nice wheel!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Nicely done Mike - looks great!!!

Les

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used fine wire brushes at a med speed with my drill and did not get any deep scratches. all i did was lightly hit the surface with the 1200 then buff out with mothers aluminum polish

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
their just bare aluminum from the factory, no clear coat, I use some stuff called bombs-away makes them look like chrome when your done, takes some elbow grease by hand, a small power buffer is a great idea!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Are you sure there is np clear coat on the wheels? I always thought that from the factory they were sprayed with something clear.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Don't know if they are coated or not, thinking not maybe.

I had not thought of it before but I had mouse die in the 1500 front wheel, it caused some corrosion on the wheel. If clear coated it should not have done that I think.

I hate those hollow wheels at times!
Mouse got in and died and was a bear the dig it out.
Dropped a socket and sure enough it fell into the hollow wheel spoke, also a bear to get back out.
The wheels look nice but can be pain at times when things get stuck inside them!

·
1,819 Posts
I have never seen a 1500 wheel with factory clear coat , but an 1800 with European spec., has clear coat on the wheels . I have heard that an US spec. 1800 from 2009 and on ,also have clear coat on the wheels , but not sure about that.
Btw. , a 1500 wheel is made of much better materials , at least when it comes to SHINE . lol.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know something was flaking off looked like some kind of coating

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Does anybody know if a 99 se wing front wheel is clear coat or not? If so, what can you use to clean them up and get a good looking shine that won't damage the clear coat? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

started on the rear wheel, got all the crap off now ready for mothers metal polish,,,,,i dont get the po not keeping the bike clean he did all the regular maintenance but no cleaning!:lash:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
They look great!! I want to do the same thing but am afaird there is a coating on them that I don't want to mess up. However your wheels look sooooo dam good. I need guidance from the Goldwing gods to point me in the right direction. Got any suggestions??? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Once getting them cleaned up you will have to wipe the brake dust and road grime off once a week or so. Work a little aluminum polish of any brand on occasionaly. A little work, but worth it. Grungy wheels are one of the first things I notice about another bike.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Which wire brush did you use more the steel one or the brass one? If you used them about the same, did you start with the steel brush and do the whole wheel first and them use the brass one? If not, how did you to it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.