Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This spring I changed my back tire and whie I was at it I cleaned and greased the shaft and differential. Since then All has been well. Today I took The wing out for a ride to my dads about 12 miles from home. When I was there I notided that my differential was covered in grease and that it was leaking down onto the rim and tires. On inspection I noted thatit seemed to be leaking from the top of the hub.

Now the bike has sat for the past 5 days and this morning it was in the mid forties whenI took it for the ride. My first thought was the possibility that the shocks were leaking, but I confirmed that that is not the case.

Any idea's or advise here.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Check the diff level, and wipe it off good. Could've burped out the breather, if you slightly over-filled the diff. Was it on the sidestand, or centerstand when you filled it? The slightest bit extra will blow out the breather on my 15, and make a hell of a mess.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Richard, you might check the shock to be sure it isn't leaking and dripping down on the differential. I've had that happen.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

When you changed the rear oil was the bike on the center stand or the kick stand? that could make a difference. And if the oil is foaming or overfilled it could be dribbling out the vent.I use regular 80/90 hypoid oil, its a gl5 rated oil, I wouldn't use a synthetic oil as it may affect the seal.,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.