Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Although I've been fortunate myself, I've noticed several of our esteemed members have encountered motorists who have "pulled out in front of them"...only to later say that they "didn't see the motorcycle"....I've been pondering thisparticular situation quite deeply and I've come to the conclusion that obviously, the folks that developed the Goldwing must have also beeninvolved in the development ofthe super-secret "stealth" technology that helps to protect our troops and our airmen. Obviously, Goldwings have the ability to become "invisible..What else could it possibly be??? With that in mind, I'd like to disable the stealth or "invisible" system on my Goldwing 1200...It couldn't be much more difficult that disconnecting the self-cancelling turn signals....could it?? Who could have known that this type of technology was available back in 1984??

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Lights work best. Iwent tothe "Sylvania H4 Silverlite Ultra" bulb. I think that's right, better check first. But, WOW its BRIGHT.

It's no cure, but it helps. Also, are the fluorescent colored vests.

Some folks will still try to mow you down, no matter what.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I am pretty sure that's a standard option on most 2 wheelers. There seems to be an option installed at the time the trike kit is installed, but not sure how well it works on them either. The headlight modulator seems to minimize the "stealth" effect, but dont rely on it solely. From my short experience, the stealth mode seems to intensify itself around inner cities more than highway riding.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There is really only one defense. Yourself. You just have to train yourself to be observant, and to never become complacent. You just have to see those left turners or those running the stoplights first.

It takes awhile to develop that skill, to the point you do it all the time. But that is the only defense.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

A while back I had mentioned how a motorist decided to get off at the next off ramp when he was three lanes from it, as he passed no less than 24" in front of me. I ride a trike, we are not immune. If I had not caught him out of the corner of my eye, I would have been road kill. I am fully convinced, accidents on trikes are not pretty. As Kit said you have to train yourself to be observant and not become complacent. I do admit I wish I could be stealth after the incident as I blow him up.:bash:But that feeling goes away quickly after giving thanks I'm still alive to keep riding:action:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

and add a headlight modulator! Kit you missed your chance to preach it. ;) Headlight modulators help you be seen. They don't make you immune, nothing can, but they sure help a lot. Best safety feature you can add to your bike IMHO.

John

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

Yeh know the feeling, I thought 5 front running lights, and the size of the wing, would make her stick out like the proverbial sore thumb on the road, but no, I almost had a melt down, on a 100kph road, as cager pulls left, (we drive on the left) stops, then no indication, I see his front wheels start to turn into me, as I approached his rear wheels, at 100kph!

Oh [email protected]#$% I'm dead! I thought, but he did stop the manuver thank god.

but I have since put 2 running led lights at 25 watt a piece, so now she has seven
lights facing forward, I'm told she can be seen a fair way off, soo... hopefully??

cheers,

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Only guaranteed option is prayer. Other than that, when it's your turn, it's your turn. But it doesn't hurt to hedge your bet either..... :) Drive defensively and stay alive!

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

Yup... headlight modulator is the answer.
Since I added mine, I can tell that cagers notice me a lot more than before, particularly when going through an intersection.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Another endorsement for the headlight modulator(Thanks Exavid-for your early pushing) See and be seen. When I am approaching an intersection with potential confusion, I always slow down to a speedfrom which I can stop or manoever. I never assume that I have a right of way. I have had no close calls yet.(knocking on my noggin)

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have been a Chicago Police Officer for 26 years. As such I have driven with my emergency lights operating and siren blasting thousands of times. That means that besides a loud siren and air horn blasting we have a MARS light bar on the roof flashing blue lights (now they are strobes used to be revolving lights) and head lights flashing with strobes as well. When ever I trained a new officer I always taught them to drive as if once the emergency equipment is activated that we have just become invisible. It is amazing just how many people I have pulled alonside of who are startled to see me there all of a sudden.
I am a firm believer in lighting my bike well. Just remember that no matter what the guy in the car with the radio blasting or on the phone or lost in thought doesn't see you coming because he isn't aware of his surroundings. We have to be extra alert and ride as if we are invisible.
When I taught my sons to drive I kept stressing to them the drivers of every other car is a moron. I would point at a car, ask my sons "what is he" and they would respond "a moron".
YOu can not afford to let your mind wander on a bike as you would in a car. You have to be alert not just for yourself but for the drivers around you as well.
Remember you may have the right of way but if you have an accident with a car it may be your next of kin who get to argue that in court and not you.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes modulators for sure are the best tool on the road as far as making yourself visible. I like both of them , and for the most part can see other vehicles back off and when running the left track of the road you will see many move over further to the right to avoid you.

I was noticing bikes the other day, the smaller ones, with the little dim headlight. You know the bikes that are ten years old or older and like 250cc to maybe a Harley sportster. Hey I am very aware of bikes and still cannot see them well lots of times. Or they are riding too far to the right on the road and hid behind a vehicle.

Modulators are the best safety device you can install on your motorcycle. I have had several members PM me and discuss this, so progress is being made.

So wanna put some more insurance under your helmet, go get some new bright bulbs and install a headlight modulator and put one on the brake lights too.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

Not sure what would help. Locally a motor officer was hit last year sometime lights going and all. Still the driver said she didn't see him.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Yes modulators for sure are the best tool on the road as far as making yourself visible

Kit, and others,

I don't disagree in the slightest, and I also ask Bob W this, what is the legal aspect of these? Here in California, I was stopped for having a "ring of fire" in my front wheel. I had told the officer (motorcycle officer) I wanted all the light possible and he told me the law is printed in plane fact and that I was illegal. I basically turned it off and he was satisfied, but warned me if he catches me with them on, he would personally write a ticket stating I had been warned and used them a second time and that he would send me to a sign off station after I have them removed. So it's like a catch 22. How about modulators? Are they also illegal?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

"obviously, the folks that developed the Goldwing must have also been involved in the development of the super-secret "stealth" technology that helps to protect our troops and our airmen. Obviously, Goldwings have the ability to become "invisible..What else could it possibly be???"

Dude, I ride five different bikes and all have the same effect on traffic, it's not any stealth feature, it's an auto driver feature called obivious ignorance.

Like Bob mentioned, I've seen a car load of drunken mexicans hold an ambulance at bay for miles.

This morning I had some jerk pull up beside me while I'm doing 75 in the left lane. Then he pulled up and swung over into the 1.5 car length I had in front of me. Adding to the insult he braked. I noticed his tags were 8 months past due and figured no insurance or current license.

I think there's a class of drivers that refuse to see motorcycles. Hell if you follow enough crashs you'll see they refuse to see cars or trucks as well. We've had three head ons in the past three weeks, all car to car, tow producing dead. And while the airmen fall from the sky.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Kit, and others,

I don't disagree in the slightest, and I also ask Bob W this, what is the legal aspect of these? Here in California, I was stopped for having a "ring of fire" in my front wheel. I had told the officer (motorcycle officer) I wanted all the light possible and he told me the law is printed in plane fact and that I was illegal. I basically turned it off and he was satisfied, but warned me if he catches me with them on, he would personally write a ticket stating I had been warned and used them a second time and that he would send me to a sign off station after I have them removed. So it's like a catch 22. How about modulators? Are they also illegal?
Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states, mandated by Federal law. Brake light modulators are another story. Some states they're legal, some they're not. I was told in general, if you are in a state that the brake light modulators are not legal, if you are not doing anything else wrong, they won't ticket you.

Here's a copy of the law.

John

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I agree with most everything here - I just don't have the modulators. My Fog lights running full time and seem to work well - and they're functional for my area where I commute in Fog about 33% of the year. My experience is...

1) Rider awareness and preparation for anticipation of the worst -helps most. They are all legally (or in some cases illegally) ignorant as was said with radios, cell phones, texting, coffee, fast food burgers, make-up, shaving, on board children and dvd's, etc...

2) Lighting can help in many situations to aid awareness - but they have to be aware to begin with - many times item 1 above over rides all senses and sense. My stock Goldwing has plenty of lights IMO the add of fogs increased that as well - most times they part the traffic when I come up behind. They think I'm official or something I guess.

3) Some are just intent on assault - road rage style - like the [email protected] that took me down this 4th of July Holiday in California at 60 on the highway in broad daylight. Nothing I could do about that - like a danged scene from a movie - cranked the wheel sharply and intentionally knocked me down with his rear bumper and trailer hitch on his jacked up, blacked out SUV - all because I occupied the space he wanted - so he passed me illegally on the median and hit me. He saved maybe 2 seconds on his journey - but if I ID'd him he'd be going nowhere - fast. I run across all kinds of whackos when I visit southern California - like the dope that shoved a metal baseball bat out the window at me because he didn't like me passing him while "lane splitting" (lane splitting is perfectly legal - andacceptable if done properly here in CA - he just didn't want to be passed). I think instead of disablingthe stealth we should focus on adding front, rear and side grenade launchers - then see how it goes. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:

Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states, mandated by Federal law. Brake light modulators are another story. Some states they're legal, some they're not. I was told in general, if you are in a state that the brake light modulators are not legal, if you are not doing anything else wrong, they won't ticket you.

of the law.
John:

That satisfies me, it may not be the total answer, but it can't hurt. So next question where does one get them. I heard elsewhere they are about 50.00. Are they simple to install?

rear and side grenade launchers - then see how it goes. :cheeky1:

That is next after the modulators.:dude:

OK, so what happened to the color on John's quote?

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Or maybe, just maybe Mother Honda developed the stealth mode for us because it's much harder to hit a target that is unseen.

Joking, of course!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Each State Vehicle code is different. You need to be careful what colors of lights you use. Never use Blue. Those Bluish headlights and other should be ok but BLUE is reserved for police everywhere. Each of you have computers and need to do a search for the vehicle code in your state. I have been out of traffic enforcement for over 13 years and am not the best source of traffic law info anymore.
Remember though that there are hundreds of laws regarding vehicles and the officers can get them wrong too. However you may be able mount a defense in court if you do your homework. Just remember that traffic enforcement is a major source of revenue in many smaller communities.
A quick google of vehicle codes returned this http://www.drivetosurvive.org/vehiclecodes.htm
Keep inmind that many municipalities also have their own vehicle code that the officers enforce. If they write you for a state violation they the fines get split between the state and municipality. If they write you a municiple code violation the municipality gets the entire fine.
This all means that you just have to make sure you don't get stopped. I haven't been stopped in my personel car for over 15 years. I have never been stopped on my bike. I have rather generic cars and they have no markings on them that would identify me as the police. My bike you can see in my picture. I just try to ride within the law. It doesn't mean that I don't go fast it means that I don't go fast where I shouldn't go fast. If you see me doing a wheelie or a stoppie call for an ambulance because I wasn't planning to do it. In other words make yourself less inviting to a ticket then the idiot on the other bike you saw doing 100mph on the highway with no helmet and wearing shorts just a few moments ago. He will get the ticket not you. Remember be polite. I always let a person I pulled over make the determination as to whether they got a ticket or not. If they were a jerk I wrote till I ran out of ink. If they were polite they got the speach and a pass. It doesn't work everywhere or with all police but it always did with me. There were enough jerks to keep my supervisors happy.
No light will stop the complete idiot from hitting you. My bike is well lit from the back and front. I am looking for more lighting for the rest of the bike. I like the brake modulators and am considerig one on my bike. I am staying away from the headlight modulator as while it might be ok in one state it may not be elsewhere and I do not want that hassle.
Don't forget you may be lit like a hollywood premier but the guy on the cell phone with his head in the clouds will never see you so you need to see him and be prepared.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.