Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having problems with my mute button for the radio. The radio is muting itself without pushing the button. I've sprayed both WD-40 and elec. contact cleaner around the mute button but would like to disassemble the unit and clean it properly if that is where the problem lies. The radio will switch between being muted to normal volume every so often sometimes after a bump in the road or not. Has anyone done this and if so how? Thanks! 1988 GW-1500:?

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

It's very common to have the MUTE button stick in the mute position…. pushed in. Or sometimes the button won't catch to stay in.
In these cases the WE40 or concact cleaner usually works. But yours sounds like it'll have to be pulled apart. If you remove it from the left switch I think there are 2 very tiny phillips screws that hold it together. I've never had to disassemble one but it's got to come apart somehow.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Is your Intercom turned on?? If it is not the Mute Button it could be the Intercom Mute setting. Try turning the intercom off and see if this takes care of the issue.

Henry

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

If it's anything the 1200LTD it's not made to come apart. I bathed mine in contact cleaner and worked it back and forth and it got better, but when my stereo when out completely I had to take that switch apart to see if that was the fault and it had to be cut open and epoxied shut. Looked likeit was sonic welded.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

You have to disassemble the turn signal housing, once its apart there is a screw on the underside of the top piece that holds the mute assembly on. Take that off and there are 3 or 4 screws holding the mute housing together. There is a very small spring in the mute button, be careful. The ground to the mute button sometimes goes bad, if a good cleaning doesn't work try splicing in a new ground wire, ground it to the frame somewhere.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
590 Posts
imported post

You may consider that your radio may be cutting out due to a long known age related problem with the radio. FM radio stops working, but AM radio still works??? Sierra http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp can fix it, and for a little more $ they can add the Aux Input to it as well. They say that they turn them around in less than two weeks. Mine has been doing this very thing this summer. some days it works, some days not. Weather is now in the tank so time for me to take mine out and send it off

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Looks like taking the turn signal housing apart is in order at this point.Thanks, everyone !

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

With the symptoms you describe, I wouldn't suspect a button, but a cold solder joint or even a broken wire somewhere.

Someone above mentioned a ground.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Ok, now the mute button is not my main suspect.After hearing about the actual radio plug in harness today when it muted itself on it's own I slapped the radio and the normal volume came back immediately so now I'm going to check the plug for tightness and cleanness. It's starting to look like a easy fix and i need to change my fuel filter any way.:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.