Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well i got my brakes fixed-air in them.With the speed bleeders it took less then ten minutes to bleed them and have a nice hard pedal.

Next i adjusted the shift lever as high as I could get it with out interfering against the cyl heads.Worked great.

Threw some seafoam in the fuel tank.

Then I went for a ride.My left hip seemed to be doing much better (I am on meds for an achilles tendon in my left foot)the meds have relieved so much pain I was confident I would have no problems. I rode a new 84 back in the day and fell in love with the ride. My bike was so smooth on bumps-like my park avenue Buick. Loved the torque.after about a mile or 2 my hip was going out again and I stopped it was all I could do to get my left foot off the pegs to the ground.Needless to say my stopping was clumsy,(I never thought about how I stopped a bike in the past) after a couple stops I got it back in the shop and I realize I canot ride safely.Trikes are out for me -I can,t afford one nor a kit.Training wheels that lift would be my option as I can't imagine riding without enjoing the freedom of feeling it lay down on twisties.

Possibly a narrower lighter bike might work .

My hip has been worse since my foolishness-I tried to recover to my favorite pastime-but realizi it probably won't happen.

I plan on selling the bike soon but i want to put new timing belts in (just because I used to sell used cars on the side and never bought a car that I didn't put timing belts on as soon as I got it,no matter what.I just couldn't face someone if a belt broke right after I sold it. I feel people buy used because they cant afford new usually and they sure can't afford to do heads and possibly a piston or two on a newly purcahsed car.

When I get to this I willpost pics .It has 59000 miles and appears to be well cared for. What would you figure it could be worth -refferingto rough estimates?

It hasa new E2 front andlow mileageE2 on the rear. After maarket radio (nothing fancy-butworks). An intercom that I im vary unsure of(I have no head sets)and don't know any thing about,probably aftermarket.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

I plan to post pics in the future when Ican get back to it again.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill,

Man...sorry to hear that. I am sure you must be feeling bad about the whole thing. I wish I had some advice for you, I don't know what other type of bike you may feel more comfortable on, but I do hope you find something. I just returned to owning a motorcycle last year and now it is my constant passion.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that it wasn:t everything you hoped for. I:m sure its a sad day. Hope you have good memories of when it great.. always take alot of pictures..

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

sorry to hear about you predicament, i too have a left hip problem, and it dam hurts at times, getting on and off the wing hurts like hell sometimes, fells like its comming out of its socket,if i stand up on the pegs or stretch my legs it usually goes, ive got some floorboards that i took off my other wing i had and might consider putting them on, i'm looking after a friends bike whilst he is in australia for a year, ive had it since just after christmas but only had it out this last two weeks,its a yammy 1100 drag star classic cruiser, with having the forward controls its a good ride and dont have any problems with my hips when riding it, i'll be sorry to see it go when he gets back,

i was considering making some forward controls for the wing but i only have a 29" inseam, i do have some foot pegs on the engine guards but it doesnt easy it, so i sacked the idea of forward controls, but i'm not giving up the wing, not for a while yet, hope you get sorted out

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I sat on a 650 V Star liked it but it to was hard on my hip,Lifting my extended leg was even harder.
The cartelage is just about completly gone and it is real sensitive to where it gets pressure put on it.It seems that the pressure trying to spread my legs at the groin causes a lot of problems,my legs don't want to move excep straight forward and back not sideways.My Dr says it is from years of using clutches in semi trailer trucks,many of them city driving.
However I will keep looking for a solution,like not stopping :action::dude::waving:

Gee that reminds me of when I was just a small kid (yes I was small once:cheeky1:).I had a little bike with 13 inch tires on it-I could just reach the ground.I sat on a 26 inch 3 speed bike and it was way too high for me.My brother gave me a shove and off I went -afraid to stop because I didn't want to fall on the asphalt.I rode for a couple miles and my dad was looking for me.Well he found me about three miles across :action:town I was trying to figure how to get back up the steep hills to my home.He helped me off-boy was he pis*%ed :crying:He found my brother kinda trying to get lost :cool:I felt real sorry for him :cheeky1::D

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

have you tried one of the new Gel seats. Maybe it would help?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

mark3 wrote:
why try out a nice cx 500 or 650 or silver wing
I think mark3 may almost have hit upon something here with mentioning a Silverwing. have you considered the Silverwing scooter or also the Suzuki Burgmann as ridden and loved by Wingnut, this site's owner?

I am thinking that you might get on much better comfort wise with the legs together position of nothing between your knees. The other nice thing about the scooter layout is that thereare usually long foot wells that allow for either quite upright leg position, right through to feet forward.

I am sure they are also relatively light to manouvre and your hip should not be strained before you have to put your feet/ foot down at a stop.

Being automatic there is no gear changing and foot braking to do, leaving your legs very relaxed.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Hello mate, IM really sorry to hear that :( i hope you can manage to do something to keep the wing. maybe an used trike kit? who knows, Good luck and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I truly hope you can find a used trike you could afford.I'm not a wealthy guy either, and I found one for half of what it was worth.They're out there, and alot of folks are selling thir toys right now.I have the same problems as you, and a trike was a shot in the dark for me, but someone upstairs somehow hooked me up! Best of luck, keep lookin, and keep us posted. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I've got a friend with hip problems who now rides a Bergman 650. He says that not having the tank between his legs, and being able to stretch his legs out forward makes it comfortable. It's a very nice machine and quite fast.

Q

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If the bike in your avatar is the one you ride,I could make a few suggestions.First get a backrest I love mine and it makes longer rides possible.Second, get some foot pegs for your crash bars. This lets you move around instead of being stuck in the same seating position. 3rd, if the seat is still like sitting on a rock after a half hour,try to find a seat reupholster and have them replace/add padding to your seat to make it so theres no hard spots and just the right support.It would be a shame to give up a sweet ride when a few changes make it what you want.,,

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am sorry your health has put you in that situation. I hope it never happens to me as that would be pretty hard to deal with, I love to get out and go.

For reading what I think I read, even though you do not like trikes I think it is the way to go. They are not so bad. You can find one most likely now at a very fair price, many people are dumping their toys.

There is an older fellow in our club that has somewhat similar problems and I put a Pingle electronic shifter on his trike for him. There is a means for a hand lever for the rear brake also.

Might not be like a two wheeler and those twisty roads, and the joy of the power out of the curve, but does allow one to still get out and go.

I must be getting old, as I see it happen some each year, another friend is considering a trike. His legs are getting old too, they ride two up all the time everywhere, so he is seriously considering that option.

Kit

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Could this be adapted ??

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/jOhP1HTZQwY&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

Sorry, just realized you had a 1200, this is for 15-1800's :(

Here's a possibility, not cheap, but better than a trike kit, and you only puts the wheels down when you want them down.

http://tinyurl.com/cw98zb

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
imported post

That looks pretty neat. Just don't forget to flip the switch. Guess it would get to be second nature after a while.:)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I have looked at the different options-but my hip is still worse then it was B4 "Mr Bills Last Ride". To add insult to injury I was moving the bike in my shop the other day and dropped it-just to heavy.I couldn't even rock it a little so it lay there for a bit then I lifted it up with my engine crane.I battle with a bunch of other health issues (a few of them agent orange related)My immune system is not working well and I had several ecoli infections in my blood that I never regained my strenth from,last year I had 10 courses of antibiotics since june. (I almost won I know I'm not as sharp mentally as I was).Have battled liver cancer and for now I seem to be the winner,although it doesn't work well and is a source of frequent severe pain.I can only work an hour at at time daily if it is light work.

I just don't feel I would be safe-so as of yesterday I traded my wing for a 4 wheeled toy-with the name Kubota 27HPon it-I got to put a clutch in it but it will make my life somuch easier.Less time in the sun (I have some skin cancer going on now)to mow my lawn I have a case with a loader but it is large (plus I'm kind of a tractor happy farmboy)

I am gonna have some things to sell like a brand new trunk relocator -a new haynes manual-a used rear brake cyl-probably 2 new half helmets 1 used 10 minutes.
Any way God has blessed me and I am sorry to let go of this idea but I gave it my best.Good thing is it will be used for the same reasons I wanted to get back on-To honor our military and fallen heros.

I felt you guy should know fully why I gave up.Since you all sharea passion I had all my life.

What a wonderfull group I have met here.Bless you all.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill , we all have to make choices in life. Glad you got to enjoy the ride before having to move on from it and will have the memories from it.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Bill sorry to here you had to trade the bike but that dont mean your not part of the family here please keep in touch your experance is very valued and we will be a better team with you take care for now Peter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.