Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I have a headset that I used on my Harley and it worked fine. I purchased from ebay they are cheaper headset used for a PC that have been rewired for the Harley. I took off the 7 pin plug and pulled out 2 pins to match my 5 pin from the wiring diagram from the harley and looking at yours they seem to be the same. I plugged them up and the speakers work fine but when i try the CB i just get a loud squeel and intercom doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

This will also help as to which pin does what on the din plug side of it.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi

Thanks for the pic's I actually found those to compare it to the harley connection before i tried it. I am not sure why the mic is doing what its doing. The headset worked fine on my harley. If the ohm's are off will this squeel happen? perhaps thats the case not sure

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Not familiar with the Harley units, I'd have to see the tech data on them to figure out what's going on. As you say, the Harley's have a 7-pin plug versus the 5-pin found on most metric bikes like the Goldwing.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

What year Harley was this set used on? I'm seeing references fo a 7-pin connection used on later models and a 5-pin used on earlier models.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Found this,

pinout as follows:
looking head-on at the plug, and going clockwise-
tab = mic shared shield
6 = not used
1 = black mic in shared (-)
4 = red front mic (+)
2 = yellow/black headset speaker shared (-)
5 = yellow/white left front headset speaker (+)
3 = yellow/red right front headset speaker (+)
7 = blue/yellow push to talk

the passenger connection is the same pinout, but 6 and 7 are not used

here, http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/t...-general-discussions/134249-headset-plug.html

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

It should be noted that the headsets used in PC's use condenser microphones. The PC powers the microphone with a 5 volt bias (which is why PC microphones have 3-conductor 1/8" TRS plugs - ground, bias, and signal). Condenser microphones only produce a signal when they are powered with a bias voltage.

Goldwings use dynamic microphones. Dynamic microphones do not require bias. The two microphone types are not interchangeable. If your DIY headset is manufactured from a PC headset, it will not work on a Goldwing (at least the microphone portion won't).

You could however build a small battery box and a blocking capacitor that would bias your microphone and make it produce a non-biased signal that the Goldwing *should* be able to use.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

07 ultra classic has 7 pin connector but for headset with out push to talk only uses 5 pin's from the set I have its wired exactly like the picture found here on this page for the goldwing. I cut the connector off and used an ohm meter and its the same. I don't see a shared ground for the mic on this particular setup. I will get a new connector and rewire.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
It should be noted that the headsets used in PC's use condenser microphones. The PC powers the microphone with a 5 volt bias (which is why PC microphones have 3-conductor 1/8" TRS plugs - ground, bias, and signal). Condenser microphones only produce a signal when they are powered with a bias voltage.

Goldwings use dynamic microphones. Dynamic microphones do not require bias. The two microphone types are not interchangeable. If your DIY headset is manufactured from a PC headset, it will not work on a Goldwing (at least the microphone portion won't).

You could however build a small battery box and a blocking capacitor that would bias your microphone and make it produce a non-biased signal that the Goldwing *should* be able to use.
Hi

This set I am using is a dynamic mic and is for a pc it only has 2 wires for the mic a ground and a + it worked fine on the harley. I have a couple different pc mics and there both dynamic

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

All I will say is, I wasted enough money on failed attempts at DIY headsets to pay for a real one.

Then I went out and bought real ones.

John

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
All I will say is, I wasted enough money on failed attempts at DIY headsets to pay for a real one.

Then I went out and bought real ones.

John
I did the same thing. I have a pile of carved out headset speakers, various microphones and endless wires and 5-pin DIN plugs in a pile downstairs that is testament to my various DIY headsets.

I have a J&M in my helmet. :)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

I'd sucessfully DIY 4 set of headset from PC headset.
Like Wayne said, PC headset use electrec mics, it is not compatible with Goldwing.
I replaced the mics with cell phone's hand free kit ear piece, and now I have 4 headset cost below 15 dollars each :)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I was thinking of wiring a 3.5mm jack of the GW connector.

I am not a stereo buff, but will earbuds (very small ear piece) work ok or would there be too much power for them tiny speakers?I have a set of Skullcandy Inks that I use with a MP3 and PC, but I usually use an FM modulator on my bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.