Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I should have done this write up when I did it. But I think with a little "pretending",, we can get the basic idea.

First,,,, I had to remove the nut in order to make the tool. I was able to remove it with a punch and hammer. It's not all that tight anyway,,, one or two thumps, and it came off with my fingers.

Now we have to "pretend". Since I don't have a spare lock nut laying around, and I'm not about to pull the bike apart just to deminstrate. So here is a pic of my tool (finished product),,,,,,,,

It is a 30mm deepwell socket. With 1/4 keystock.

The trick is to get the keystock lined up with the notches on the lock nut. So now "pretend" that the washer I have here, IS the lock nut.

Now the "center" of thelock nut (washer) is the same as the outsidediameter of the socket. You can see that here,,,,,

Set the socket on top of the lock nut. ( OH,,,, and pretend the keystock is not there YET),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now with 4 pieces of keystock cut to 1 1/2 inches,,, lay them against the socket AND fitted into the notches of the lock nut. And use a hose clamp to keep them in place.

Next,,,,,, use any old washer to put into the lock nut,,,,,, like this,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now clamp it like this (not too tight, just snug enough to hold it together) and you can weld the keystock to the socket,,,,,,,,,

I know it's not the best,,,,,, but I think it should give a good idea how to make your own.

·
It aint rocket science
3,915 Posts
imported post

Great write up Winger. What models will this work on?:)

JD

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The steering stem locknut tool for a 1500 will also fit a 1800.

Nice job, Dave! :coollep:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
The steering stem locknut tool for a 1500 will also fit a 1800.

Nice job, Dave! :coollep:

Dusty
It will also fit the 1100 and 1200.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

heres mine:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Great write up. It looks like something I will be trying soon.

I haven't used 1/4 keystock before so I don't know what it is. Is it something I can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot?

·
Administrator
25,995 Posts
imported post

Kool Winger77, I made one for the clutch nut exactly the same way you made that one.
Great minds think alike I guess.
A machinst made me one for the steering stem nut.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
Great write up. It looks like something I will be trying soon.

I haven't used 1/4 keystock before so I don't know what it is. Is it something I can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot?
Most hardware stores will have it. I got mine at a NAPA auto store.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Great write-up. I will put it into the Reference forum after a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.