Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've watched some videos on youtube of the California DMV motorcycle test, and was amazed at the difference in our test in Texas. I am ashamed to say that our state's test is pathetically easy to pass. In fact, I've told others that I could have passed the riding skills part of our test the first day I got on a bike. It's a shame that riders are allowed to have a liscense to ride with so little skills, and no doubt a major reason for so many deaths on the highways. Of course the cage drivers make me wonder the same about them. How are the test in your state?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I'm trying to remember. I know they did a slow speed weave around cones. As slow as you could go straight, between cones about 12" apart. Accel to 15mph, upshift, downshift and then brake within certain distance. All these had to be done without putting your feet down. You had to know all the main functions (horn, turn, kill, etc.)on the handlebars without looking at them. There were some other things but I cant remember the rest. I am thinking it took me about 30 minutes total because I did it during my lunch break one day.

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
imported post

California is tough.. In my city at DVM if you touch a line in any part of the test with a wheel it's an automatic fail.. I don't know of anyone that's been able to do it on a Wing.. You have to use a small bike..

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Oregons is fairly challenging. I went the night before, with a friend, and practiced. My friend watched and judged as the cones were put away for the night. The location of the cones was painted on the lot.

I passed it the next day. It was a point of pride for me to pass it on my wing, as many people had told me that the bike was too big. Yeah, its a lot of bike to do little figure 8's and such, but it can be done.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
Oregons is fairly challenging. I went the night before, with a friend, and practiced. My friend watched and judged as the cones were put away for the night. The location of the cones was painted on the lot.

I passed it the next day. It was a point of pride for me to pass it on my wing, as many people had told me that the bike was too big. Yeah, its a lot of bike to do little figure 8's and such, but it can be done.
Didn't have to take one in GA... they just accepted the one from WA I had had since I was 16.

I think a lot of states consider us organ donors and don't worry about it too much.

As I recall from back then it was pretty much... show all bike lights, show hand turn signals, hand stop signal, emergency stop and the cones once each.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I NY there is no closed course for the test. The evaluator checks your permit and the license of whoever came with you and then tells you what streets to go down and then follows you. At one point you pull over and he has you do a series of figure eights in the road. You may not remove your feet from the pegs at any time, you do, you fail.

It's a little nerve racking knowing your being judged by the car behind you and having to remember what streets he told you to go down (main street being one of them, but it does give the evaluator a good look at your skills.

If you pass, he signs and stamps the permit right there and you're good to go. You shoot over to the DMV and they put in for you to receive a new license that shows you are legal for MC as well as cage.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

In Mississippi, it depends on who gives the skill test. Actually, the "written" test is fairly hard although I passed it firts time around. I have some friends that failed the written test a couple of times before they passed it.

When I took my skills test, two DMV ladies "fussed" over who was going to give me the test. They complained it was too cold outside!:cheeky1:
The lady that gave me mine checked everything including insurance and state inspection. Then she made me ride around in the parking lot and said, "You have been driving a bike awhile haven't you?"
I passed.

A friend of mine, when he took his test, was told to drive down the road and a state trooper followed him! Just depends on who gives the skills test!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I'm rather surprised at New York being that easy Richard.
That's pretty much the test in Texas too. The evaluator just follows through a series of streets, turns, and stops. That's it. No cones or obstacles to manuver. I believe that the MSF basic course should be a mandantory minimum, and am going to look into what it would take to get it required.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I took the MSF course and didn't have to do the test here in Florida.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

my hats off to ya ubarw :clapper:.i practice on my goldwing.but when come to the test i jumped on my buddeys ninga.it would be pretty tough on a goldwing to do the oregon driving test.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

It's a pathetically easy written and practical MCtest in Arkansas.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Yeah, Florida's is pretty easy, my son just took the beginning safety course and then took his certificate of completion to the Florida DMV and they give you the endorsement. Then when he moved to Texas, they looked at his old license and gave him the same endorsements here in Texas.

Luckily for him and all the drivers on the road, I'm going to do some more schoolin' for him before he gets out on the road on two wheels.

Kind of scarry though!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I took the experienced riders MSF course here in Olympia, WA. on my wing. I'd had it for 2 weeks. When I showed up everyone was on 600's or smaller except for me and a guy on a BMW R100. I was surprised how well the wing did including making the u-turn in a box.

While it would have been easier on something smaller I didn't find it that difficult. Especially after they had you out practicing for 6+ hours. Just gotta learn to get your butt up off the seat in a tight turn.

Only had one problem with the instructor....couldn't convince her that I couldn't lock up the rear tire to practice an emergency stop...had her try it on my wing. She couldn't do it either...thanks to ABS.:)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I took the ERC on the 1500 I had at that time. If I remember correctly, one other rider was on a GW, and the rest of HD Softails.

As a note, I've sent an e-mail to our local state rep. asking about getting the requirement for an endorsement in Texas changed to require the basic MSF or equivalent.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Back when I took my first DMV test here in South Carolina it was a pisser. I tried to pass it on a 74 CB500-4 that was top heavy, didn't pass. Went back 2 weeks later on a 76 750A Hondamatic and pass it with just 1 minor glitch.

South Carolina required you at that time to do stop and go's in a straight line through all gears without putting a single foot on the ground, On a 2-speed Hondamatic it was a no-brainer. Then you have to come to a complete stop and start on top of a small hill the bike kinda straddles, again with no foot down. Next step was straight line stop in the shortest distance form a certain speed without locking up the rear tire. Pass all these and then you took on the cones. This is where South Carolina makes adjustments. They have 2 sets of boundary lines, the inside set is for bikes less than 750cc's, outside lines about another 1 1/2 ft out from the inners are for 750cc and above. I passed the cones the first time but almost took out the inspecter as she was too close to the last cone as I came around it and had to add power to make it without falling into it. Last step was the railroad crossing correctly, she dinged me for not looking either way for the train in the parking lot. Still passed that sucker.

when I transfered my license to Texas they saw what state I was from and made me just do the braking test without locking up the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Big Kahuna wrote:
Yeah, Florida's is pretty easy, my son just took the beginning safety course and then took his certificate of completion to the Florida DMV and they give you the endorsement. Then when he moved to Texas, they looked at his old license and gave him the same endorsements here in Texas.

Luckily for him and all the drivers on the road, I'm going to do some more schoolin' for him before he gets out on the road on two wheels.

Kind of scarry though!
It might be easy here in Fla. if you do the course, but for a challenge, go to the DMV in Sarasota and take the test there.

I think that soon you'll have to take the safety course from a provider that charges $250 or $300 bucks. I took mine at the DMV on my 1200. It did take two tries, but I did it.

The first time and the second I watch everyone, and I mean everyone fail on every thing from sportsters to step thru scooters!

Some of the bunch from the first time I tried were there watchingwhen I did it the second time. Made me feel good when I got it on something as big as the 1200!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

The NY State test is pretty tough. It took me 2 times to pass. It's not an easy task if you are on a large bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.