Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know DNA is a powerful tool used in prosecuting or eliminating suspects in criminal cases. Anybody that has a police record, immigrated into this country, works for a day care or school system, gets a conceal carry permit etc has their fingerprints on file. Why doesn't the system put EVERYBODY.s DNA on file at birth? My wife says the government could misuse it. I don't really see how. I think the benefits will be far greater than drawbacks. What you say?

·
Administrator
25,537 Posts
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, freedom from oppression etc? They have more information on you and me already than they are entitled to.
+

Reactions: detdrbuzzard

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
DNA and privacy

Recently a serial killer was arrested based on DNA matching. The case was very old. He was matched by DNA from a relative that had used a genealogical site, like 23 and me or Ancestry. Not sure if I have my facts straight on how they matched him.

Now clearly in this case, this guy needed to be caught. You might argue that if you have done nothing wrong, then you do not have anything to worry about.

But it raises the question, who else has access to DNA information? Insurance companies? Foreign Governments? Hackers? Terrorists?

The potential for abuse of this information is mind boggling.

How about a disease that only effects a certain genome. Remember sickle cell anemia?

Unfortunately, If the government or any body else wants your DNA it's fairly easy to get. So it's probably a moot point at this stage of the game.

Rayjoe

P.S. If you have a wild bird on your head, it may confuse the DNA gatherers. >:)

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I've never done anything nor plan to, that my fingerprints or DNA would be a factor.

However having it on record is, to me, like granting an authority an easement across your property. It is initially used for a good purpose, power line maintenance etc. Then one day their new technology wants to use it for something that negatively affects your life and you can't stop them.

·
Administrator
58,930 Posts
Too late:

My DNA is already in Ancestry DNA, was looking for family ties that have long ago been lost to memory of any living soul.

I keep getting a notice of a 4th generation cousin that is still alive :rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, freedom from oppression etc? They have more information on you and me already than they are entitled to.
+
Snowflakes have changed all of that. Our judicial system has been taken over by those who don’t want to take the time to look into things. The constitution is just a piece of paper that they have heard about. Nobody cares about core values, Honor or respect anymore. Damn shame

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Too late:

My DNA is already in Ancestry DNA, was looking for family ties that have long ago been lost to memory of any living soul.

I keep getting a notice of a 4th generation cousin that is still alive :rofl:
That type of DNA information or from a similar site was used to catch a rapist / murderer. The murderer didn't have his DNA registered anywhere but a relative did and police were able to narrow their search to a few people that were related to the killer. That got the results and closure for suffering families.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Don't worry about DNA. The aliens have already given the government access to the tracking chip implant put in the first time you were abducted by a UFO.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Absolutely, positively no.
If you 're a 100% law abiding citizen there is no reason why your DNA, fingerprints and vital statistics shouldn't be bar code tattooed on your forehead. As long as every other last person on earth was a law abiding citizen.

It's the last part that bothers me.

Of course if everyone on the planet was 100% legit we wouldn't need any I.D. at all.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
If you're on FaceCrap, DNA is the last thing you should worry about. Zuckerman knows more about you than your mother and doctor combines.

·
Banned
500 Posts
they already have dna or dna profiles on lots of folks. i got arrested years ago and they took their swab. so, they have profiles on all my kin.

should they? NO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts