Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1992 1500GL, 43000 miles. How does an 1800 compare? Do I keep my wing or upgrade to a later 1500 or 1800? Is a newer bike with higher mileage better?Your comments would be welcome.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Are you unhappy with your 1500?

With only 43,000 miles on it, it is just beginning to start to be broken in and they are very reliable if proper PM is adhered to! :baffling:

Mine's a 92 with way more miles and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to jump on it and do a cross country trip with it. (not that I haven't done that, multiple times :action:)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I had a 1500 andloved it, traded it for an 1800 wow, better handling, super brakes and smooth lots of power the 1800 is a much superior bike in every way, maybe the 1500 is a little more comefortable over long distance you seem to get of it a little fresher after a long trip,i recently purchased a 98 1500 with 14000 miles on it. i like the looks the space for luggage but overall the 1800 is the touring crotch rocket that makes you smile when you ride it.If you could afford it keep your 1500 and purchase a 04 1800 model whatever mileage in good condition, then you would have the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

Just do whatever makes you happy. If you're just itching for a different bike, by all means scratch that itch!
I had 4 bikes just a few months ago. I'm now down to only two...and for some reason I have been thinking about getting another older Wing to just tinker with! I think it's some sort of a 2-wheeled addiction.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

GEROWING wrote:
I had a 1500 andloved it, traded it for an 1800 wow, better handling, super brakes and smooth lots of power the 1800 is a much superior bike in every way, maybe the 1500 is a little more comefortable over long distance you seem to get of it a little fresher after a long trip,i recently purchased a 98 1500 with 14000 miles on it. i like the looks the space for luggage but overall the 1800 is the touring crotch rocket that makes you smile when you ride it.If you could afford it keep your 1500 and purchase a 04 1800 model whatever mileage in good condition, then you would have the best of both worlds.
I agree with Gerowing, I have yet to take that long trip, but I'm confident that it will be every bit as comfortable as my 1500 was (the seat may be better than on the 1500). Not a particular problem with power delivery on the 1500, but fuel injection the 1800 is instant and smooth and even gives better fuel mileage. Overall handling is noticeably better for me, and even my wife says how much better I seem to manage at low speeds. I miss a few of rhe SE features, but I'll adjust :)

Didn't keep the 1500 because I traded it on the 1800, but if I was to have a second bike, it would be a cruiser rather than a touring machine.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

robbie1401 wrote:
1992 1500GL, 43000 miles. How does an 1800 compare? Do I keep my wing or upgrade to a later 1500 or 1800? Is a newer bike with higher mileage better? Your comments would be welcome.
As said, comes down to what you want and have the $$$ for.
Your bike has considerable miles left in it, so that's not an issue.
Mine has about double the miles, and performs great. Had it all over the country in the last two years and already have multiple weeks of trips planned for Spring and Summer and into Fall.
Would never hesitate to take it anywhere, rain or shine it just goes.
Your choice.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I love the 1500, its just that its 18 year old.Smooth power,very comfortable. Done about 5000 miles in 3 months and wouldnt hesitate about doing long trips.Wife loves the pillion. Is the 1800 not so comfortable? I,ve not ridden one yet.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I hope nobody got the wrong impression from my previous post.

The 1500 I had was a wonderful bike. Probably about 120,000km and nary a problem. No reservations about taking it on any kind of extended trip and I even had bought a trailer hitch but didn't get a chance to install it before trade off.

The seating position was a bit uncomfortable for me so I got a set of highway boards so I could stretch out and take the strain off my hips. I put those boards on the 1800, but the seat and positioning is so comfortable for me that I can only think of a very few times that I used them, even on extended day trips.

Even though it was a 1998 SE, my thoughts were that it would be my last touring bike in my riding career and that in about 5 years I might step down to something smaller but when I rode the 1800 I figured I just might be a touring guy for a few years longer :)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Keep in mind how personalized and cool your 1500 can get for a fraction of the cost of a 1800. Personally I think the 1500 is a way cooler bike than the 1800 and searched long and hard to find a super low mileage 1500SE from 2000. I used to race road racing for a living and realize the upgrades are a hype that the manufacturer must keep up to be marketable, and not neccesarily an improvement in real useage. Go and test a new 1800, then a low mileage 1500, and then make a list of improvements you wish to make on your 1500. I bet you will be amazed of the final answer...

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Well, i was in my local Honda dealer today (Clausen Honda) and after drooling over a new white 1800 the salesman offered me a test ride. I've heard it said don't take a test ride on a new wing! You'll be taking your check book out or trying to figure a way to own one! I did buy a lottery ticket today! Price on sticker was $27,000.+! I'm thinking about a ride but I really love my 1500! The ABS braking is something I would like!:waving:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Think I'll keep the 1500 a while longer. Thanks for the comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.