Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1985 GL1200 Aspencade (pictured at left) with about 40,000 miles on it. Here is my deal...

I did not change my spark plugs this year :gunhead: (I know, I know but I have not had the time) and the bike runs perfect with a touch of throttle and beyond, but at idle, it only runs at about 700rpm and wants to stall. If I let it go long enough, it does. :X

I am thinking plugs, plug wires or fuel. Any suggestions?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Why not bump up the idle setting screw to 950/1000 ???? Sorry, I'm still trying to keep this GURU thingy..... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I never had an issue with it before, should I just adjust itor should I find out why the sudden change?

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart %*#. If it was a sudden change you could get into it deeper, but I'd try the simple things first. If raising the idle helps, that should help to rule out mice nests, clogged air intake or bad gas. You did say the bike runs fine once you get above idle.

On a side note, I change plugs every 2/3 years or 12K miles, and my Wing is only 1 year newer than yours. (68,000 miles). :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I did not take it that way Shooter....I thought you were trying to help

I changed plugs last year...maybe it is not them.

I did not think of the air cleaner/mice nest issue....I will check.

Can the idle crew back out on its own? Why did it change? Could I have a bad plug that might be fouling out at low idle and is not detected during higher revolutions? I am just guessing, but is it possible?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Muffy,
Sounds like you may have some varnish in carbs from old gas sitting in it all winter.
Try a fuel system cleaner, like Sea Foam for a couple of tanks of gas. Turn up the idle like Shooter says.
When you notice the idle getting fast, just turn it back down.
My guess is that this will fix it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I doubt it's plugs. If it runs good it's usually not plugs, most often problems with them show upwhen high power is demanded. Personally I wouldn't disturb the plugs unless I had more than 25,000 miles on them. Even then they shouldn't need anything but an inspection and a check of the gaps. There's no reason to change them annually. Go with the recommendations Shooter and johnmac made, kick up the idle a bit, run some cleaner through, Seafoam is good, and see what happens. It's most likelyminor carburetor glitch. If it persists you might want to pull the plugs to inspect their color, they should be a light tan and all should look the same. If there's a noticeable difference it may be one carb is needing attention, thats all it would take to effect the idle. but first do the easy things.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

/forums/images/emoticons/smile.gifI also have an '85 Aspencade... If  You stored it with no gas additive.. then  I would start .. not with new plugs.. but with 2 glugs of MMO/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif in a tank of gas./forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif. for two or three tanks, and see if that dissolved the crud... and tapping the idle up just a bit would not hurt much ,either../forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Okay....got it. Run some additive in the fuel for a while and adjust the idle up until it starts to idle too high and then turn it back down.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Okay, I turned the idle up from 740 to about 980 (book calls for 1000 +/- 100) that is where it sounds the best. After test run all is well. Still need to get the Sea Foam and run it through a couple of tankfuls.

Thanks for the help, this forum is great and so are those who read and contribute.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Muffy,

Did your idle speed fall off as the air temp increased? My idle was always a steady 950 until the air temp exceeded 100 f. Then as the temp went up, my idle went down. When the temp went over 110 f my idle speed fell off to about 700-750. I don't like it that low. Sounds like it might stall and there is no way the battery is going to charge while sitting at a light. I raised my idle speed (with the engine hot) to about 1100. Runs a little fast when I first start it in the morning, but idles well (950-1150rpm)when I have to stop for lights and it's 110-120 out. The gauge does show a better charge when sitting at stop lights now :thumpingmad:! I'll re-adjust the idle back to 950when the temps cool back down this winter.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

No idle speed fall off in hot weather, it was a nice cool sort of day around 80 and very low humidity. I think johnmac may be right, there may be bad gas left over from last year. I will ride for a while with the jacked up idle like shooter says and run some Sea Foam through it to clean her out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.