Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:cool:I spent the day ripping apart a Harbor Frieght trailer to salvage all the goodies, I used the trusty plasma cutter to cut it down, and cutone spindle off and got the axle all welded up and the springs reinstalled on the axle. I cut the channel steel to 36", with about 40" total length from the back of the hubs. I pulled the bearings and washed everything in solvent to inspect for wear/damage.My question now is, do I need a long tongue if I'm pulling it behind a trike? I am using all the metal from the salvage, so a longer one is do-able, but I just wondered if it needs to be as long as the others I have seen built here.So far so good, gotta take a Motrin 850mg though! I'm sore!! Also got in a fist fight with a tree I was trimming today.Cut off a branch and it hit me smack dab in the mouth!!!:cheeky1:I thought,"hey, I can still take a punch! 'I remained standing even though I saw stars!!! My wife loved it!LOL :weightlifter:jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Lengthening the tongue changes the lever angle between the ball and the wheels making it easier to tow by means of being less squirrely.

Mike

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Most guys I know could use a longer tongue..........

:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

Well, that lowered the level.............

:jumper::jumper:

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Most guys I know could use a longer tongue..........

Guys???? :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I knew it was headed this way,the minute I typed it!
lol. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Yep! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Seriously, :shock:I think the longer tongue helps.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The tongue weight isn't as important as getting the axle properly located so that about 20-25% of the total weight of the trailer ends up on the hitch. That will prevent trailer sway. There's no reason to have a tongue over length, three feet in front of the cargo box would be plenty, if not too long. But be sure the axle is about 2/3 of the way back from the front of the cargo box and always load the heavier items in the front.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I find that combing my hair with my tongue gets me a lot of dates

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The tongue weight isn't as important as getting the axle properly located so that about 20-25% of the total weight of the trailer ends up on the hitch. That will prevent trailer sway. There's no reason to have a tongue over length, three feet in front of the cargo box would be plenty, if not too long. But be sure the axle is about 2/3 of the way back from the front of the cargo box and always load the heavier items in the front.
Ditto! I cut 12" off of my tongue and like it much better. Not sure how my wife likes it though.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I'm not going to tell you what my finacee said about this one

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
I'm not going to tell you what my finacee said about this one
That would probably be best..........although.........never mind! Just let it go at that:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Good luck Jim.......even with the country TREE butt whooping you took!:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Avoiding any personal preferences, My 3rd trailer haul's the best (coast to coast)- fully loaded with tires on top too. I went to 6' from the hitch to the axle, my first trailer started at 4' & danced like a bobble head. This was on the west coast of Newfoundland.:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I just bought a HF mini with 12" tireslast week for ~$185. That is with a 15% discount coupon if you subscribe to their mailing listing.

I too plan on narrowing the width, but that will be base on the box or cargo carrier.

I too plan to lengthen the tongue, so I will be researching and paying attention to these posts. I have seen 10"and 20" added lengths.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I installed the axle above the the leaf springs vs below. Sort of like a car axle vs a truck.To me, there is still plenty of travel bounce. I also remove a leaf stiffener. Only problem is the fenders now hits the 12" tires, but I will take care of that in the future.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Another good point is to drop your tire pressure to 10 - 15 lb's, softer ride less bounce. :action::action:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I recently built my trailer from a HF frame with 12 inch tires. Narrowed it 4 inches [depends on carrier]. I extended the tongue 22 inches, but only use 19.75 inchesit it as I used the pre-drilled holes in the tongue [made forthe rear]and used them for thefront.

Also, I mounted a 20.0 cubic foot carrier 67+ inches long [36 wide] and a cooler rack in front of that.

I took it on a 600 mile trip & had to keep checking to see if it was still back there. Also, I used 1/2 inch treated plywood instead of the recommended 3/4 inch since I wasn't using the 1350 GVWR. Some folks dont bother with the plywood & just bolt the carrier to the frame....I should have done that.

Then, I loaded it with lights, reflectors, a black ABS rear bumper that holds the 2 backup rods. Also, I put foam tape sealer around the upper lip of the carrier, to make it water/dust proof.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't the thread "Do I need a long tongue?" be combined with the "Numb Butt" thread?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:
Shouldn't the thread "Do I need a long tongue?" be combined with the "Numb Butt" thread?
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.