Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In the past I have discussed the fact that I use Low Pressure (5-10psi) air to set and troubleshoot my floats and valves. Well I have been having a problem now with 2 different racks of carbs flooding and repeated efforts to fix them have frustrated me greatly and cost a LOT of money.I finally broke down and set up a bucket and 7 foot hose to give me about 3 psi of pressure going into the carbs on the bench so I could troubleshoot them. I have found my leaks were at the Plenum half joint and the carb to plenum joints. Upon disassembly I could see evidence of blowby on each of these seals. That could only have come from one source and that was my LP Air. I was carefull to keep it low but apparently I did not keep it low enough and I damaged the fuel system seals in the Rack. I have now changed all the fuel seals in the plenum joint and at the carb to plenum area and everything is fine again.

SO If you read any of my posts in the past talking about using LP Air for working on or setting your floats DON"T DO IT!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the school of HARD knocks has spoken here .

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

We learn more from our mistakes than from our success's.

When someone referred about of his previous attempts to make the light bulb as failures, Edison stated that they were not failures, they were merely ways he discovered that would NOT make a working lightbulb.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Whisker, it's been said that Thomas Edison tried 200 times to create a light bulb that worked. Instead of giving up at his failures, he quipped "I've just learned 200 ways not to make a light bulb" and moved on.

You just learned a new way not to adjust a carb deck. ;)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I once cracked a float bowl on an old Chevy with low air pressure. Doesn't take much to ruin a carb...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It sucks learning lessons like this but when you do it is best to share them.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Thank you for the lesson. I can see my using pressure and it probably would have been more than you used. So Thanks for teaching us proactively. . . :)

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

Don't kick yourself so hard. Failure of the plenum half gasket is not unusual. It mimics a stuck float problem. Probably what your trouble was all along. Your fuel pump puts out 3 p.s.i. anyhow.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

:gunhead:Can't be any worse than me trying to adjust my steering head bearings, and I pinched and destroyed the throttle return cable with the top handlebar clamp!DUHH I also learned that I never want to fish any cables in the neart future!! Way to man up bro, and warn us. I wish you manna, and to find money in the dryer! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I once told my Dad about something I had done wrong, My Dad was a very smart man, never graduated high school, but had a head full of knowledge....He just put his arm around my shoulders, kept a straight face and told me.."Son you live and learn, then you die and forget it all"....Good thing you stuck around to where we could learn from your mistake.....:cheeky1:... It takes a great man to admit that he has made a mistake.....Great information and I will use it if and when I need to rebuild my carbs.....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

this is almost like closing my bronco rear door with the window up. The window slides into place.

Its one of those DUHH moments then you move on and have another experience notched onto your belt

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Kinda reminds me of my old mint 69 Roadrunner. I had the passenger window cleaned before I went to work, it was warm outside, and a friend and I decided to go ride to get dinner after discussing it. He had just bought a "Coke" in a bottle, finished it, and chunked it out the window! Busted into so many pieces I could not count. He felt really bad. We both were shocked, After the shock, we both laughed so hard tears come to our eyes, but he did have it fixed. We laughed at that for a long, long time. Friends like that are hard to come by. Still friends. We live and learn the hard way.
Nightrider1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.