Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:)For some while now,ive been meaning to change the air filter on the 1800, the new filter has been sitting around for a couple of months now,,just waiting for me to pluck up courage to attempt the task,,,well today i attacked ,,,after watching the video,of Steve do the job,,in the biker work shop,,{no 15},it was time for the job to be done,,,,,I started the job at 11.30 and finished at 4.00,, it was obvious it had never been changed for years:shock:,,so now itsall back together,,all working ,and running fine,,:)if like me your a bit worried of doing the job,,just take your time,,watch the video, and all will be fine,,,,if i can do it ,,iam sure youll be able to:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Number the side fasteners, just take a fine point magic marker and number them one through 4. Start at the top and work down, save time, no wondering which length fastener goes in which hole.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

I had several colors of markers and marked each type of screw and it's location so all I have to do is match the colors. I think I could do an air filter change in 30-45 minutes now that I know what has to be done.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,653 Posts
imported post

And that was just after that one trip home from Phoenix :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
And that was just after that one trip home from Phoenix :cheeky1:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::clapper::clapper:

But truth is 11k when you saw it 26k now.... been to Sturgis;Yellowstone and quite a lot of my fav roads here in BC:cooldevil::cooldevil:

Probably Colorado this year

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

PP no, thats the inner sanctum you have been to, no one goes there, okay it is a bit daunting when you see all that kit and wiring and plugs etc, but its a job that needs doing from time to time.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1:The inner sanctum,:cheeky1::cheeky1:i like that:clapper:;)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Good Lord! What in heaven’s name has to all be removed from a GL1800 to get at the air filter? Half the bike?

My GL1200 air filter change takes me all of 10 minutes! (Open the faux tank shelter compartment with the ignition key, remove the pull-out storage bin, unscrew a wing nut, pull off a vent hose, remove the top of the air filter box and pull out the old filter. Reverse to install. Done!)

All of that fine engineering on a GL1800 and they couldn’t arrange an easier filter change than that? Go figure!

Still, I’d have one if I could.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

WingMan71 wrote:
Good Lord! What in heaven’s name has to all be removed from a GL1800 to get at the air filter? Half the bike?
Just about!!! the shelter ( Faux tank) and all that it entails then you can catch glimpses of the cover!!

About a 3-4 hr job the first time you do on your own but now about 2.5 for me

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I used to love working on bikes.
Now a days it's like having to whizz as soon as I pour that beer.
Chain off? Brake pads out? Cable or fluid changings? But the brain is fully in ride mode.
Tomorrow is Ducati Desmodronic control system adjustment day that takes as long as an 1800's air filter change.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
Its worth the time here is a before and after Did Mine Tuesday
Yeah I did mine a couple of weeks ago and the comparison is about the same. Great way to get to know a little more about your bike though. A damn sight cheaper and more satisfyingthan going to a garage.

E

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.