Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made a run to Evansville, IN today and we noticed something. It seems like almost every or at least a large number of 2 cylinder type bikes either had batwing fairings or plastic windshields and many of them were full out dressers.

Makes me wonder if they are afraid of being called traitors if they went to the full comfort a Gold Wing has or maybe they are afraid they could not hear their motor rev without those loud pipes.

:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
The steam that blows the whistle doesn't drive the wheels. Just sayin':)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Hey!! Don't talk about HD that way. Don't you know that a Harley is the most efficient machine in the world at turning gasoline into noise?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I wander what image I am protraying when I ride 45 years Iv'e rode about everything , some with no wind protection some had plain old plexifairings on them , even a few tour bikes, three goldwings included in these 1200 1500 and 1800,
add in two ventures and one voyager , My dress is work clothes or overalls for most rides ( don't own any thing leather ) sunday you may find me in shirt and tie .

what you won't find or hear from me is negative remarks aimed at what you ride .

should I mention I do own an ultra classic , it has never been on a trailer, though it has pulled one many miles, it has never parked in front of a bar , maybe a DQ
you won't hear it when I pull up beside you ( stock exhaust ) , Might hear my radio.

I also remember in years past riding worn equipment ,because it was all I could afford , but I can't remember ever owning one that didn't bring a smile to my face when I rode .

ride your ride and wish your your fellow motorcyclist the best.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I wander what image I am protraying when I ride 45 years Iv'e rode about everything , some with no wind protection some had plain old plexifairings on them , even a few tour bikes, three goldwings included in these 1200 1500 and 1800,
add in two ventures and one voyager , My dress is work clothes or overalls for most rides ( don't own any thing leather ) sunday you may find me in shirt and tie .

what you won't find or hear from me is negative remarks aimed at what you ride .

should I mention I do own an ultra classic , it has never been on a trailer, though it has pulled one many miles, it has never parked in front of a bar , maybe a DQ
you won't hear it when I pull up beside you ( stock exhaust ) , Might hear my radio.

I also remember in years past riding worn equipment ,because it was all I could afford , but I can't remember ever owning one that didn't bring a smile to my face when I rode .

Amen Brother! Amen....

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Lived in Terre Haute for 5 years... I was the only GW in the few rides I attended.. My observation is that it USA brand loyalty.. made in USA.. Loud pipes save lives, Etc. Indiana is right in the heart of HD land...look where th factories are.. All around them.. If you don't have a Harley it just doesn't count... And you go to the end of the pack... I hated that... Too much noise, but except for that, I was treated nicely, no complaints there.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Whatever you, he, or she rides, just get out and ride...

In this world there are so many things that we could find to bicker about that we really don't need to gripe about what bike another person rides. Afterall, in the end, it is us against all those cagers out there. :?

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, this was not meant as a slam to others choice of motorcycles. It was just an observation of ours that it appears that the owners of another brand and its look alike bikes are tending to try and make their rides a little more in the elements user friendly. We are even noticing a little less loud exhaust and even more helmets. Could it is because more riders are getting older and wiser and because the back seat riders are more interested in a less strenuous ride? Not many years ago the rider sat on a little pad on top of the fender.

Hey, even owners of different brands of autos love to hassle each other on their choice of rides. Heck, even I have an antique 2 cylinder ride. It is a 1941 Model A John Deere. Of course it's engine design is not as old. JOKE!!!

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
I rode HD for many years. I'm good with the GW. What's the big deal? I put good pipes on it ... sounds good! She rides and jams down the road. What else matters? The tunes are just a plus.

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts

Well said chdesh :claps:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I notice this same thing all the time and especially when I went to Sturgis last August, including a lot of trikes. I've ridden many Harleys and enjoy goofing around with friends who still do. But, the simple fact is we're all getting older and putting up with pounding wind, noise, etc. just ain't as fun as it used to be.

When we're done goofing on each other, we RIDE together. But I do insist on being in front! And, it's usually WAY in front....just sayin'.....;)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Bought my wing with 1 mile on the odometer from the dealership in Evansville. Took three planes (each smaller than the last) to get there from Michigan, and was picked up at the airport by the owners wife. They treated me like a God !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Makes me wonder if they are afraid of being called traitors if they went to the full comfort a Gold Wing has or maybe they are afraid they could not hear their motor rev without those loud pipes.
And those Goldwing riders, with their radios and sofas and trailers and big trunks and car tires. I wonder if what they really want is a car? ;)

I don't ride Harleys, but I think they look pretty cool and I can understand why people like them. "Baggers" and "dressers" are in vogue right now, I think that's a good thing as it makes Goldwing-riders a bit less uncool ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.