Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When you travel on your motorcycle, do you go out of your way to avoid major highways? Would you add on 10-15% traveling time and distance to take less-traveled secondary highways to avoid the major highways? I'm planning a trip for this summer and am considering these options.

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

You bet I do, I think it's well worth a little extra time to have an enjoyable ride not stressing about traffic and being bored by miles of just miles.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I usually plan on avoiding Interstate highways and try to stay out of large cities. We prefer to take the time to enjoy the ride and the scenery, and stopping in smaller towns usually results in nice surprises..

We try not use the Wing on trips that are rushed,.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Back when I was touring, I was also working steady, and only had one or two weeks of vacation to burn each year. Interstate type highways can be your friend if you need to spend your measley 4-5 days "free" time at your destinations (parks, mountains, points of interest, etc.), and minimize travel time.

Then, there are those (wise, perhaps?) who prefer to enjoy the trip itself, and not the destination!!! A lot depends on who you are traveling with and what they expect from the trip, also.

I know from experience that each new trip you take, will play a major role in helping to define each subsequent trip you take...I hope each trip you take is safe and most memorable...take pics, lots of pics...:waving::action:

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

I love the interstate. I travel it whenI can. I personally feel safer there than on side roads because no one makes a left turn in front of you on the interstate. I also like traveling at at least 70-75 mphBut to each his own.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

MoneyGuy wrote:
When you travel on your motorcycle, do you go out of your way to avoid major highways? Would you add on 10-15% traveling time and distance to take less-traveled secondary highways to avoid the major highways? I'm planning a trip for this summer and am considering these options.
It can depend a lot on your experience, age and the distance and whether you are riding solo or with a passenger.
If you are really used to riding your Wing and are familiar with all it's traits you can ride it anywhere anytime however if you are carrying someone with you, it is added weight and the handling can suffer somewhat on the other hand it gives you a second set of eyes. Back roads or secondary roads are more enjoyable than interstates as you can stop in the smaller towns or stop for a photo op whenever you feel the need. On the inters you have to turn off and then try to find your way back, no fun. If you need to get places fast the interstate is your man, just dial in that number and hang on for dear god. Watch out for all the loonies whizzing by talking on their cells and eating Golden Arches.
The age thing is just these days I like to pull over and stretch my legs when they get stiff or cramped, rarely can you do that on the Interstates, you have to look out for something way ahead and make a run for it!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

In general, I avoid the highways. Never did like the idea of dancing with semi's and after seeing what a piece of flying road alligator did to a car, liked the idea even less.

Will ride if necessary for time or routing, but in general, both the truck and the bike take the "other" road. You get to see more scenery/people/stuff and can enjoy the ride - just watch out for deer (dogs, etc), cagers and idiots like always!

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Duh you are in Canada ( same as me) There are no major hwys :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Unless you count that Edmonton/Calgary slab

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Yep, we have Garmin programed to avoid Toll roads, & gravel. We avoid 4 lanes whenever possible. :action::action::action::action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

For me road choice depends on how much time I have available to cover the necessary miles. For a long run such as last fall's 2600 mile run to Calhoun, it was necessary to use the slab for most of the ride. For shorter rides or long rides with no time limitations I like the side roads and byways. In bad weather I prefer the slab because it's safer due to no side roads or driveways with someone pulling out in front of me on rain slicked roads.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I only avoid the Interstates if the winds are high. They seem to be the windiest places on earth, but other than that, I feel really safe. Especially on a Wing!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

gotta love the wing wrote:
I love the interstate. I travel it whenI can. I personally feel safer there than on side roads because no one makes a left turn in front of you on the interstate. I also like traveling at at least 70-75 mphBut to each his own.
I beg to differ with you on one instance at least. I was in the HOV lane (m/c or pool cars only) of a six lane freeway, adjacent to the center concrete divider.

A Freightliner truck locked up its' brakes and did a 90 degree left turn across my lane and we collided. I'm lucky to be here. I was doing 65 mph when he turned left in front of me.

Could I have prevented this? Maybe, if I never attempted to go by a semi on either the left side, or the right side.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

If I am out for a ride, then I stay away from the interstates. If I need to get somewhere, I use the interstate.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

we try to stay away from eways , much more fun driveing the back roads at your own pace , but up in our country ya got to keep a close eye out for critters crossing the roads

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
gotta love the wing wrote:
I beg to differ with you on one instance at least. I was in the HOV lane (m/c or pool cars only) of a six lane freeway, adjacent to the center concrete divider.

A Freightliner truck locked up its' brakes and did a 90 degree left turn across my lane and we collided. I'm lucky to be here. I was doing 65 mph when he turned left in front of me.
I think he met from the other direction... there is always the danger of left turning cutoffs in the same direction if there is more than one lane..

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I enjoy the interstates as much as other roads as long as them wheels is spinning. Just a different ride.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
If I am out for a ride, then I stay away from the interstates. If I need to get somewhere, I use the interstate.
That's my thought. I still have a couple of workingyears before Ican manage more than a week off at a time.The slabisn't enjoyable when you're doing 700/1000 miles to spend three daysat an event. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I like the interstate, at least around here, but we don't have gridlock either so it can be an enjoyable ride. I'm planning a 400 mile jaunt, round trip, to visit my son and I'm going to use the interstate, maybe all the way.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

For us, it depends on the amount of time we have. First week of August, we'll hit the interstate to get to our destination. Once there we will stay on the two lane, no gravel, scenic roads. Back on the interstate the following saturday and sunday to get home.

I'd rather stick with the side roads but time dictates to us.:(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.