Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First of all I am pretty sure that 99% car engines have aluminum cylinder heads. That means probably that only antifreeze for sale now ismade for aluminum which I believe is written on every bottle. So what you need is to see on bottle"for aluminum"

Second-about water pumps. Water pumps have 2 parts I want to talk about. They are bearings and seal. Bearings have no contact with antifreeze, so whatever you use cannot damage bearings. Now about seals. I have no idea if silicates can damage seals. If they can I don't think that water pump seals in bike engines and car engines are made from different rubber.

If you think that you need special antifreeze for Wing you need it for your car too.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

newbiker wrote:
First of all I am pretty sure that 99% car engines have aluminum cylinder heads. That means probably that only antifreeze for sale now ismade for aluminum which I believe is written on every bottle. So what you need is to see on bottle"for aluminum"

Second-about water pumps. Water pumps have 2 parts I want to talk about. They are bearings and seal. Bearings have no contact with antifreeze, so whatever you use cannot damage bearings. Now about seals. I have no idea if silicates can damage seals. If they can I don't think that water pump seals in bike engines and car engines are made from different rubber.

If you think that you need special antifreeze for Wing you need it for your car too.
Are you asking or telling? I'm not sure I can tell.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
imported post

I have wondered about all the different antifreezes. I have a 81 gl1100 and I don't think they even made different antifreezes in 81. When I drained mine to change the water pump. It had green antifreeze in it. I replaced it with extended life that was a green color. I just went and looked at the bottle it says 5 year 50,000 mile extended life. I see nothing about silicate. When I did mine a year ago I was told to use extewnded like not the standard antifreeze. Did I use the wrong thing??

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Use only silicate free antifreeze for aluminum engines and stop confusing yourselves.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

newbiker wrote:
... If you think that you need special antifreeze for Wing you need it for your car too.
I think that this is too strong of a statement.... just a few posts down HERE discusses the real reasons why silicate free antifreeze is required in our motorcycles... and it has very little if anything to do with aluminum (since we know silicates are good for aluminum)... more about acids, bases, oil and coolant contact with each other that forms solids, sludges, and the like..

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
imported post

Ever time I read this stuff I have to shake my head.If you do not put the right fuilds in ,you can messy your bike up.Now you have to spend more money to get it fix or you are broke down some where

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
imported post

I just went out on the net and did some reading. With the manuals that were printed in the 70 and 80's.They recomend ethylene glycol antifreeze. The ethylene glycol antifreeze did not contain silicates. In the 90's when most all cars started usiong aluminum heads and iron blocks that is when the silicates were introduced into the antifreeze. So the mdern antifreezr contains silicates. Silicate free is recomended. The label must state silicate free or it will contain it. So I guess I installed the wrong stuff in my own. I will get something different when I go to town and change mine. I know when I did my water pump I was told that any extended would be good. I guess thatwas not an accurate statement.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
imported post

As mentioned earlier. When I replaced the water pump in my 1100 this past summer I used the wrong antifreeze. I was under the impression that all extended life atifreeze was safe to use. Anyway after my pump replacement my bike ran warmer. Would the use of the wrong antifreeze cause this? It does not run hot but it does run warmer than it did before I did the water pump. I am going to the Honda dealer this week and get Honda antifreeze to put back in my 1100. I checked every label at the parts store today. The only antifreeze that is marked as silicate free is Prstone DexCool in the gray bottle. Anyway any ideas if the use of regular extended use would cause the problem of extra heat??

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
... Anyway after my pump replacement my bike ran warmer. Would the use of the wrong antifreeze cause this? It does not run hot but it does run warmer than it did before I did the water pump. ..... Anyway any ideas if the use of regular extended use would cause the problem of extra heat??
My first response would be no.. you should see no difference... that is based on the assumption that the system was clean prior to putting it in... if it was not clean, all bets are off...

Other things that might cause it to run hotter are: different thermostat?, sludge fouling in radiator? not all the air out of the system?

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
imported post

Made it by my local Honda store today. They had Honda pre mix antifreeze. I got the right stuff this time. Will make the change as soon as it gets warm enough in my garage. Also cost was $4.39 per quart.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I've always used NO SILICATE anti-freeze from auto parts stores and haven't had any problems. Don't remember brand names but as long as the label states "contains no silicates" I feel pretty comfortable using it.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
imported post

Been using Dex-Cool mixed with distilled water since my Wing was new.

I have the radiators off now to remove the tape & the inside of the radiators look new. No corrosion at all. Was going to change over to the Honda premix but figure I will stay as my cars useDex-Cool also.

Does the Wing use a different style waterpump seal than a automotive waterpump? I know most car pumps I've taken apart use a mechanical seal & seem to have no problem with silicate type coolants. Just curious I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
imported post

Not sure of the difference. I lost a water pump on my 1100 for no reason and all at once. The previous owner had serviced the bike and the antifreeze looked like regular Prestone green. I am sure the DexCool would work fine. But I went with the Honda just for the peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

CB700SC wrote:
Been using Dex-Cool mixed with distilled water since my Wing was new.

I have the radiators off now to remove the tape & the inside of the radiators look new. No corrosion at all. Was going to change over to the Honda premix but figure I will stay as my cars useDex-Cool also.

Does the Wing use a different style waterpump seal than a automotive waterpump? I know most car pumps I've taken apart use a mechanical seal & seem to have no problem with silicate type coolants. Just curious I guess.
Not a single person posting here advocates anything other the Silicate Free or Honda premix. Plus all the postinglinksthat sandiegobrasshas post all agree. So I'd say If your happy with your coolant, hey more power to you. I mean what is the most that could happen. Maybe have to replace a radiator or maybe getting stranded somewhere. I'm not willing to take the chance so I'll stay with my Silicate Free coolant. I think the cost difference is about3 bucks. Ashave been pointed out in previous post there is a difference between the goldwing and a car.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

CB700SC wrote:
...Does the Wing use a different style waterpump seal than a automotive waterpump? I know most car pumps I've taken apart use a mechanical seal & seem to have no problem with silicate type coolants. Just curious I guess.
It isin thescience... and not just a problem for the Goldwing. This is my understanding...

In short, Silicates in contact with acidic used oil form sludges and particles that clog and/or wear moving parts... why? For the "Long", keep reading...

The seal itself is no different, and it is not a seal/coolant compatability problem. But as discussed in the last couple of coolant threads, the silicates are present in the coolant as disolved "water glass" primarily to self-seal any small leaks that might develop. This self-sealing feature (remember the prestone ads with bottles that were pricked with an ice pick?) can raise havoc with the seals if the silicates are allowed to turn back to the solid from whencethey came. NOrmally this is just a drying process and the gummy silicates (as they dry) actually act as lubricants until completely dry and are relatively harmless in the normal automotive application. However, if the silicates come in contact with anything acidic, they will actually come out of solution and become sand-like particles that are abrasive. This, too, can help stop leaks, but for moving parts, it also has the unfortunate effect of eventually erroding away the part.

The Goldwing engine has two issues that make it susceptable to potential damage by using silicates. (1) the water pump has both coolant and oil seals such that the acidic oil (even in small amounts) can come in contact with the seeping coolant at the coolant seal and (2) the relatively common issues of small leaks betwen the coolant and oil systems at head gaskets, front cover, and water pump result in precipitated and gelled solids in the coolant system with the obvious problems.

Finally, as previously pointed out in other threads, Dex-cool is slightly acidic. This means that adding Dex-cool to a system that already has silicates in it has the potential to form unwanted sludges and solids that could be harmful to your sytem.

SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info SDB. I didnt think of the oil/water scenario the wing has.

I think I will change over to the Honda pre-mix since everything is apart.

The reason I went to Dex-Cool was back in 1993 MCN did a tech article on 1500 waterpump failures & was the first to point out silicates as the main cause of seal failures. This was about the same time I did my first coolant change on my 91. The only coolant I could find labeled silicate free was Dex-Cool. My owners manual does not say silicate free but my 1993 Saturn SL-2 has a label on the coolant tank that says use only Dex-Cool silicate free.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

I have to admit,know matter how much I sometimes think I know,we sometimes do things because of reasons we don't quit understand.

Iwell leave this thread with a MUCH better understanding of "what and whys"when it comes to antifreeze and the mighty goldwing.

Thank you SDB for inlightening me,I think I got it now.:clapper:

Thank goodness none of this was on any of my ASE test.:goofygrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.