Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have just observed my daughter and her boyfriend both park their bikes in neutral............apparently this is what they were taught in motorcycle class - which like many of us, I never attended when I got my license forty years ago!

I have always parked mine in first gear on the premise that it won't roll away and fall on it's side that way or get knocked over by some minor bump, etc.

Any thoughts out there..........I still intend to park in first gear despite the rolled eyes of the above mentioned!

T.

Oh............and apparently riding in cowboy boots is REALLY, REALLY bad! Guess I'll have to convert to sandals!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I always park mine in first gear and shift to neutral before starting.I leave it in gear for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

this is a good question

its a 2 sided answer i dont park mine in gear normally if im on a flat surface or as flat as you can get

if im on gravel, or a incline yes i put it in gear

but putting it in gear dosent mean anything the vehicle engine will still roll over if its bumped it will still fall over.

so the real thing is prefrence i did learn when pulling a trailer with gear parking it in gear is a necissity lol parked the bike the wind was pushin aginst the rear of the trailer i came out to fine my bike taking a nap lol

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

There ain't hills within 250 miles of where I live, if you find 'em then they're aman made freeway overpass, I leave mine in neutral !

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I put mine in PARK with the emergency brake on.

;)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Riding a trike, I leave it in gear, and on inclines, I use a plastic wheel chock. Never use reverse for a brake! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

As peterbilt stated, the motor will still turn over, esp if you've got a lot of miles with lowered compression. I saw that happen to a Roadking that rolled backwards down the hill and over an embankment, even tho' in 1st gear!.

If I'm parking on that steep of a hill, I engage the front brake and hold it with a Velcro strap.:brokedown:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The centre stand works well as a park brake as long as you're parked tail downward. Of course getting it off the stand can be a real bitch.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Always, unless it's on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I park it in gear, same as with my cars. Even though it might not be 100% it still helps the bike not roll away. (Key Word: Helps) I try not to park on inclines too much though. :)

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I flip my bike upside down...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

I've never taken a motorcycle class but I park mine in neutral too...primarily because I'm secretly afraid that I'll forget to grab the clutch when I hit the starter and rear end another car in a parking lot!:ssshh:

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
imported post

Always in first unless I'm working on it and need the engine running. In our MSF course, they had us keep them in first when parked too.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I just lay mine down on it's side and walk away.....

Or leave it in first gear if the kick stand is down.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I always stop in 1st gear, put the kick stand down to kill the engine and leave it that way. Does not take much of a incline to make the Wing roll in neutral.

When it comes time to leave I get on the bike, turn on the key, find neutral and start the bike.

Also need to be careful as the passenger gets on and off, I always use the front brake during that procedure.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have alway parked my bikes in gear since I got my first one at 8 years old. I also start them in gear, because I do not like that loud "CLUNK" you get when you pull in the clutch and shift it into first. I doubt the transmission likes it either. The ONLY time I ever have a bike in neutral is if I am pushing it around the garage, or warming it up, which I always do for the first ride of the day. When it is ready to go, I shut it off, put it in first, and restart it. I also leave it in first at stop lights with the clutch held in, for two reasons. One is so I can make a fast getaway if necessary, the other is to avoid having to shift it into first from neutral with the engine running. For some reason, on most bikes, when you come to a stop, you can downshift all the way down to first with nothing but a click. But if you shift it into neutral, let it sit for a few seconds, then shift into first, you always get that loud "clunk"

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

Jerry you are right about the clunk.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Clunk, Yep. it doesn't really bother me though. The only time I put my bike in neutral is when it's on the center stand or when I'm pushing it around without the engine running.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I always park it in nuetral, I dothe same thing with cars that have stick. The reason I do it is because I'm forgetfull and lazy, and everytime I park it in gear I start the darn thing up with clutch depressed and let it out, forgeting that it's in gear. The mustang owner that lost his bumper didn't apreciate that very much, so now I just park in nuetral.:cheesygrin:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I haver always parke with bike in first. If I am on a hill I try as best I can to park perpendicular to the hill if possible. Also I park like this only when I am out & about as I don't use nuetral when starting. I just turn key on pull clutch in and hit the starter and pull away. At home I park in first & when I am going out, I put her in huetral choke then start and then get my gear on to allow for a bit of a warm up before I leave.:action::action::action::action:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.