Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

something funny from my Triumph forum. but i noticed during biketoberfest a lot of gold wing people don't wave Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

a couple more,so no one will feel slighted

Two more Top Tens:

Top 10 Reasons Sportbikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement
and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of
the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't
want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits
prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave:

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod,
XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
Out here in West Texas, everydody waves. Probably more people do when you're out in the middle of nowhere. In San Antonio I never waved at Harley riders, but most of them were Banditos or other gang members.
GRRRRRRRRRR!:cussing:

Club! Not all motorcycle clubs are "gangs". In fact, calling a club a "gang" is a good way to get thumped on. A motorcycle club is a club, a gang is a gang. They are 2 different things.

Road lesson. Meeting a person who is a patch holder in a club on the road is usually not a bad thing...as long as you remember 1 simple rule.

Treat the man with the same respect that you would want him to treat you with, and you will receive it in return.

Why do people do this?

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:DWell I do not wave to anyone. I am always too busy watching my GPS and getting lost. If you do not belive this just ask anyone.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Good Night, see you all tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Kit, I'm telling you man, if you'd punch "Dairy Queen" into that GPS, it would practically drive the bike there for you.:cheeky1::dude::cheeky1:

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

I wave at everyone including scooters because I'm trying to break out of my shyness shell!!! :shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Right-O. Good rule is just treat everyone with respect as a person whether on a bike or not.

But I give everyone the 8 or 9 o'clock slide. Sometimes the good ol' peace sign or the 5 finger spread. I've yet to have anyone return my "Hello Kitty" wave yet..

Heck,its fun to me.DOnt matter if its a cruiser,scooter,chopper,trike or crotch rocket.JR

:byebye::waving:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
77GL1 wrote:
Out here in West Texas, everydody waves. Probably more people do when you're out in the middle of nowhere. In San Antonio I never waved at Harley riders, but most of them were Banditos or other gang members.
GRRRRRRRRRR!:cussing:

Club! Not all motorcycle clubs are "gangs". In fact, calling a club a "gang" is a good way to get thumped on. A motorcycle club is a club, a gang is a gang. They are 2 different things.

Road lesson. Meeting a person who is a patch holder in a club on the road is usually not a bad thing...as long as you remember 1 simple rule.

Treat the man with the same respect that you would want him to treat you with, and you will receive it in return.

Why do people do this?

Mike
I agree with Mike on this........as it happens a good few years ago I met an MC from Belfast in Northern Ireland( these guys are known to be hard core if you know what i mean). I was broken down on the side of the road and about 30 of them rode past, the last 2 stopped and asked did i need a hand, when i said i did they got their "back up van" to come pick up me and the bike and take it home for me...about 16 miles. They were down in my neck of the woods for the North West 200 ( the fastest motorcycle road race in the world) and couldn't find a place to camp where they weren't being hassled by cops,so I told them they were welcome to use my back yard, their reaponse to this was to strip out my old Honda engine, repair the damage and put it back together again for me at no cost at all, they stayed in my back yard every year for 9 years after that until I moved to Canada in fact. I still keep in touch with them and actually had a few visit me in Canada, great bunch of guys and always helpful so Idon't judge a book by it's cover and wave to everyone. :waving:

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
imported post

I wave most of the time and I find most cruisers and touring bikes wave back, but I rarely get any response from sport bikes. Guys on Harleys respond but not with a wave, more like a nod of recognition.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I wave to everyone, because like Flyone, I am also a shy retiring sort of guy and am trying to come out of my shell!!!!:):D

These days it appears that nodding has taken over from waving, especially with the crotch rocket riders, which is quite understandable, given their discomfort and particularly the fact that we ride on the left side of the road and have to use the left hand to wave over the bike, rather than as I found in America and on the continent where the left hand is easier to just stick out to the side.

I shall have to be cautious of offering camping in my back yard, I am not sure how Helen the Viking would take to a bunch fo hairy bikers resident for 9 years!!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Pretty much the only time I don't wave is if I don't spot the other rider, the only time I don't bother is if the other rider is riding like a pratt. :X

In the UK I find that if I pass another Winger, the wave is very enthusiastic and way above the head, usually resulting in my left arm getting nearly yanked out of it's socket, but it is always a greatpleasure to spot another Wing rider, so well worth the pain!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I wave to all that I see, cept small scooters, and just about everyone returns the respect.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I wave to everyone I can. Sometimes one will slip up on me and get past before I see them.

I get returns from over 75% of all types. Sometimes a person might not but the rider will.

I wonder if alot of the ones that don't are just uncomfortable taking their hands off the handle bars?

Alot of times I get waves back from riders that I'm sure are patch wears. From the bikes and their dress it's obvious they belong to clubs.

Very seldom have I had someone not talk when I approached them while getting gas or just stopping for the views.

I did have that happen on the Natchez Trace last year. Three couples on Harleys loaded up with their bags and stuff. They were too busy using the cell phone to book their hotel rooms at their next stops.

I'll give credit where it's due. They were traveling distances on their bike, but they did have the yuppie look.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I wave to most everyone however there are times when you can't like when you are changing gears. I find that usually every one waves back except for sport bikes but recently I find they are waving more. Recently I was riding and an older gentleman in a pinstripe suit, white hair and white mustache wearing a skid lid and riding a scooter gave me the wave. Here was a classy business man who understood the enjoyment of riding. It was a pleasure to wave back.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I wave to everyone on a bike and I find that the one's that don't wave back are the one's on crotch rockets. Very, very few on those bikes wave at all.

I'm going to keep my views on the "average" crotch rocket rider, IN THIS AREA!!!!!!..........to myself.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

i wave at everyone too, sometimes i dont notice them till its too late but i try to wave at everyone and i feel bad when i catch them out of the corner of my eye waving and i didnt see them to wave back, clubs or gangs, scooters, dirt bikes anything, if its a bike ill wave, and im sometimes surprised when then rough rider types wave back with acknowledgement, i used to live in ruidoso new mexico when the banditos and those elements were so heavy up there and i never had a problem with any of them, key words are mutual respect and acknowledgement.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I wave at everyone, and sometimes they wave back, sometimes they don't. BMW riders are the worst when it comes to not waving back, followed by the zoomspats then (OMG!) 1800 GW riders. The best to wave back are the Harley or Harley wannabes. And the patch riders are real good to wave, most of them understand the brotherhood of the road, even if they disagree with the brand of bike you ride. I know several different patch holders, some, who some riders are afraid of, and I find that if you treat them with respect, they will return the favor. Remember, we all have one thing in common, we all enjoy riding. Remember, that so called gang member, is also someone who probably donates cash and toys to some needy kid at Christmas, will take time to help you out when your broke down beside the road, will be out there with a chainsaw clearing trees after a storm. Don't judge a man by his patch, but by his actions.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I try to wave at everybody but sometimes i miss seeing them an i fill bad about it.I ride to work most of the time a funny thing happened one day I had been riding my sporster an,would meet two harleys same place everyday. As we passed they would wave like they knowed me.Well about a week of this I rode my WING an seen the same two guys I raise my hand an they reply by turning their heads away. I just laugh about things like this.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

Athough my profile says "Abilene, TX" actually I am 25 miles out in the country. In small towns everybody waves... motorcycles, cars, pedestrians, anyone near the road. It is an understanding that we share a sense of community.

Every MC gets my wave. Even the zoom splatz, although at 120mph I doubt if they have time to respond.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.