Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok then , I know my wing will have a range of around 250 miles so each time I top her up I reset my tripometer. . Why you ask, My fuel gauge will be in the red at around 120 to 130 miles then for some reason will " REFILL" itself and show a full tank. I know I've used half a tank but the fuel needle will now just wave up and down on the last half tank of fuel. Someone please tell me that this isn't normal, or am I the luckiest person in the world and has a bike that fuels itself !!!:dude:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Most fuel gauges work on the same principle.

12v onboard power goes into a "voltage regulator/stabilizer unit" , from there into the gauge, from there into the sending unit in the tanK (variable resistor) and finally on ground terminal.

In most cases the regulator is the culprit. It is a sealed solid state unit that reduces the onbard power to constant 7v in order to accurate gauge display, because onboard voltage tends to fluctuate betw. 11-14v.

localize this part and measure voltage in/out. when output fluctuates you can discard the unit and replace. you canT fix it.

less likely is a failure of the sending unit inside the tank. If this part is suspect a fuel flush could help.

the gauge itself is very unlikely to fail this way. They either work good or not at all.

I replaced my regulator with a cheap aftermarket voltage converter for auxiliary cd-players or whatever from an auto store, set it on 7,5v output and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Pretty comprehensive response. The next time I have to remove seat,top cover etc then I will look into your suggestion. As I said on my original thread I will always use my tripometer as a guide. Many thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.