Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know the original '80 model had tube type tires, but I thought they had switched to tubeless by '82. I have seen both tube type and tubeless Comstars, the tube type had ridges around the rim to help hold the tire in place, while the tubeless ones were smooth. I may go look at an '82 Interstate on Craigslist.
 

·
Vintage Rider
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Great. Thanks. I think I will go look at it then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
81 Posts
imported post

If you haven't read it yet, there's a great review/write-up on the history of the years of the GoldWing, and the how/why/when's of changes over the years. You'll find it in the main page of this site I think...thats if you haven't already...

I seem to remember reading recently quite a bit in there about the '82's, and that they were great years for the Wing's...also something about tires and rims too(which is really my point I think)..
Good luck on your prospect.. post back with your results. :)

Yes... and ditto Ted.. tubeless. PS... if it has a "straight" rear valve stem, I found those very tough, even with an angled air-chuck..I changed mine immediately to an angled steel stem. Made life and checking pressure much easier. :)
 

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I know the original '80 model had tube type tires, but I thought they had switched to tubeless by '82. I have seen both tube type and tubeless Comstars, the tube type had ridges around the rim to help hold the tire in place, while the tubeless ones were smooth. I may go look at an '82 Interstate on Craigslist.
80 was tubless too. Tube type were smooth on the inner rims, tubless had bead retainers known also as bead locks. Tube tires didn't need them because the tube pushed against the bead, thus holding it in place, where if you look on any modern rim with tubless tires, it will have a ridge to hold the bead in place.;) I've owned a 80 GW, still own an 81, soI do know what I'm talking about.:)

Gene:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
imported post

DGrant wrote:
.......I seem to remember reading recently quite a bit in there about the '82's, and that they were great years for the Wing's...also something about tires and rims too(which is really my point I think).......

My favorite year Wing. First year for the twin piston calipers and turn signal canceler, and the LAST year for the non-linked brakes.





Bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
336 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
My favorite year Wing. First year for the twin piston calipers and turn signal canceler, and the LAST year for the non-linked brakes.

Bill
A big +1. Pity thats the one year i never owned:sadguy:



Dave.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top