Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a GL 500 interstate and I want to take off the triple clamp. The nut is bigger than 27MM. I dont have a socket that big and I'll buy one when I find out what it is. I don't want to guess, or have to buy an expensive set.

I can't use a crescent wrench. I don't want to monkey with vice grips.

I am thanking you all, for being good helping biker people. Not just to me, but anybody that comes here and asks. It is great. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I can answer you when I get home tonight as I just took mine off, but it won't be until about midnight.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I misread your GL500 for a GL1500, not even close so my information would not do any good. Thank you William for pointing that out. :baffled:But if it had been the 1500 it would have been 30mm socket. But then I have a special tree with 6 degrees of rake, so not sure if that is same size of standard.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

With apologies to johnnymac for hijacking his thread........I haven't seen this question asked before, so I guess I'll be the man *****:

William86, who is that woman pictured in your avatar? Mighty impressive.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Heheheh, William_86 answered that just the other day in another thread about Avatar Pictures.

Yes pretty awesome,

William has lots of pics with babes hanging all over his bike.

Mohawk

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

johnnymac wrote:
I have a GL 500 interstate and I want to take off the triple clamp. The nut is bigger than 27MM. I dont have a socket that big and I'll buy one when I find out what it is. I don't want to guess, or have to buy an expensive set.

I can't use a crescent wrench. I don't want to monkey with vice grips.

I am thanking you all, for being good helping biker people. Not just to me, but anybody that comes here and asks. It is great. :clapper:
I think it's a 30mm but don't hold me to that.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks guys, I will get a 30mm on the way home from work tomorrow.

Hello William_86, yes sir it is an old SilverWing. The lady I bought her from took off the front fairing and made it a naked bike. The windjammer I got for it has a little GL Eagle above the headlight, so I figured it must be cool.

It's not a GoldWing, but it sure is fun to ride up to town for parts and groceries. She has right near 59K on the clock.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I went to Autozone and Atwoods. Neither carry a metric socket that large, Autozone rented me one. It seemed a little big but got the job done.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

johnnymac wrote:
I went to Autozone and Atwoods. Neither carry a metric socket that large, Autozone rented me one. It seemed a little big but got the job done.
The best and cheapest way I solved that was that I found Harbor Freight makes a set of impact sockets that go all the way up to 32 mm.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

So why were you taking the triple tree off? Or were you just adjusting the stem?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

It is a Silverwing that came stock with fairing and bags. The lady I bought it from took off the fairing, and mounted a nice stock headlight, and turn (GL1000?)signals, along with the headlight mounts on the fork tubes. I have a decent Windjammer IV and wanted to try it on the bike. I have the bracket bolted up and the windjammer in place. I still have to hook up the wiring, which looks OK. I should be good to go in a day or two. So far all is well. It has 59K on it, and it is getting a little loose here and there. I did tighten up the steering stem and bearings.

I live about 15 to 20 miles from town, depending on where I go. I work 42 miles in the other direction. I like this bike a lot, it is pretty light and sporty. Very easy to ride, and it averaged 51 MPG on my last fill up. I like to keep it out front where it is handy to get at so I can hop on and go. It is so easy to take it around town on errands, and sometimes drive it to work. Well I want to drive it to work often and save gas. It is just fun to drive. But, the open air blowing on me is a little much, especially going highway speeds. Maybe I have been on too many nice smooth full dressed GLs to go naked again? The naked 500 is great up to 40 or 50,I can hang on OK. After that, it starts being rough. If the mileage goes way down with the fairing, I might remove it
I had a CX500 custom back in early 80 or 81 very new with about 1200 miles on it and circumstances caused me to sell it not too long after buying it. I would like to find one now for parts or a whole bike with low mileage to fix it up nice. BUT this one was cheap and it costs me a whole $9 for insurance for 6 months. Plus 51 MPG means it is cheap to own and drive. And I keep the 1200 nice for going out with my wife, hopefully on a road trip sometime. I may change my mind next week.

Rudy, thanks for the tip about Harbor Freight. There is one in Norman OK and OKC near my work place. I'll check it out soon. That is a good place to look.

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

You might check out this forum over on the Naked Goldwing site.

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

A good friend of mine has an 83 GL650 silverwing. Its a very nice bike, fully dressed with all the original bags and faring and the removable trunk that becomes the passenger seat. It also gets great mileage, Unfortunately he rarely rides it.

Peter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.