Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone got one of these things? I saw that Micro Vibe stuff but the reviews made it sound like a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There are many opinions about all things, and mine on this is not good. I hated it. No matter what it was in my line of sight and I could not and cannot stand to have something in my line of sight, bobbing up and down right at eye level. I could not tell it helped a whole lot with wind, and as for rain, it did a very good job of channeling it around the shield to the very bottom and then it would use the wind like a small tornado and rip off the bottom of the shield and right unto you. It did keep the rain off your face at speed, but just moved it down to fill up your pockets. :D Mine is in a trash can somewhere in Atlanta, I ripped it off on the way to Calhoun this past year. Cleaned all the glue off, shined up the windshield with pledge and went on.

Kit

Over the years I have tried all kinds of things, just to see, auto chrome trim on the edge of the shield, that fancy micro trim , all that kind of thing, never have liked any of it.

With the Laminar lip in bad weather and road spray from the big trucks you now have three pieces of plastic to deal with, the lip, the shield and your faceshield . I will admit it is ok on a nice pleasant day, but let it rain and get nasty.....oh boy.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I guess it depends on how you use a bike windshield. I wouldn't like anything on the edge of my 'screen either, just don't like junk in the line of sight. I ride with a windshield that's low enough to see the ground over the top of the windshield at 50-60 feet ahead. I've experienced too many windshields going suddenly opaque from fog, wet snow and truck thrown mud to want one I can't see over. If you have a tall windshield that is well above your line of sight edge trim probably wouldn't be an issue with you.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

I have had one for 18 months and my wife and I enjoy a buffet - free ride. The windshield must be at a height you can look over. (as all windshields should be). Use it in conjunction with a WINDSHIELD VENT. Very important..
When I first fitted it my wife immediately noticed the improvement. I have studied why it works and it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I have thought of getting one for my wife's sake, still have not. I look through my windshield as I have for over 12 years, never a problem, rain, cold, fog or whatever. I never heard that it drops off the bottom, but then I always wondered where it went, it can't all go over the top.Don't think I'd like it hitting me at pocket level.:shock:

So if you take it on and off, what is left, or can you do that?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
I have thought of getting one for my wife's sake, still have not. I look through my windshield as I have for over 12 years, never a problem, rain, cold, fog or whatever. I never heard that it drops off the bottom, but then I always wondered where it went, it can't all go over the top.Don't think I'd like it hitting me at pocket level.:shock:

So if you take it on and off, what is left, or can you do that?
It depends upon the year, model of bike and style of shield. They have one for many different applications. Some mount with screws or physical fasteners and some like the one I had have industrial glue strips (fancy double stick tape) and velcro type plastic fasteners that fold over it and hold it in place. That is the way the one I tried fastened is with the plastic hook and loop style fastener, the base of it sticks to the existing windshield and the hook and loop secures the other plastic gadget. So yes you could remove that particular one and run without it if you wished.

I just really hated it, it was a double whammy as far as right in the line of my vision, with the shield all the way down, yes I could see over it, just that it bothered me all the time. Just like putting some type of trim on the edge of the windshield to turn the water, that bothers me too, even though I can see over it , it is a line right in my vision at eye level.

Some people love them, and I did see the advantage of the way it does greatly decrease the wind buffet. I just could not stand the thing in my line of sight.

I have since done one other thing that as a side benefit seems to have worked as far as the wind buffeting just as well. When I installed the Kuryakyn handlebar riser kit on my 1800 I was really caught by suprise at how much the buffeting from the air flow around the sheild went away. By moving the grips and large bulky switch controls back and up and away from the votex behind the shield, it really did decrease the airflow , or in some way deflect it away from the rider. So I accidently discovered that.

So do not take my review to heart. Some do like them. It is just that I cannot stand anything in my line of sight. That was my main dis-agreement with it. I have my stock sheild cut off one and 1/4 inches from stock anyway, so I can truely see over it.
The only time I have the sheild up is in cold weather, I do enjoy sitting behind a wind block when it is cold, but I can barely tolerate it then, and if the day warms up to 50 degrees or so, back down it goes.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

When I did the conversion, I raked the front end 6 degrees. Steers really good. I was going to put a handlebar riser on, just never got around to it. Perhaps I will do that first and check the buffeting out. I rather do the risers anyway.:action:

Thanks for the tip.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Don't know about a Laminar Lip; had a fatlip more than once, and don't recommend them.......

A notableexample was when I left Phubai, Vietnam for the last time, coming home, in April 1966......

I'd had a few at the EM club, and was teasing a couple of MP's about being "new guys" and that they ought just suck it up and "put their time in." I forgot about the psychological qualifications for Military Police....very low -- oreven non-existent -- they are......!

They waited for me outside the EM club and when I staggered out, one of them engaged me in a friendly game of "fistifcuffs." When I woke up, fat lip and two black eyes, I asked a friend if I had got any licks in......... He replied, "well, you hit the ground pretty good!" Damn MP and his little cute white helmet liner..... gonna find him yet......

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Don't know about a Laminar Lip; had a fatlip more than once, and don't recommend them.......

A notableexample was when I left Phubai, Vietnam for the last time, coming home, in April 1966......

I'd had a few at the EM club, and was teasing a couple of MP's about being "new guys" and that they ought just suck it up and "put their time in." I forgot about the psychological qualifications for Military Police....very low -- oreven non-existent -- they are......!

They waited for me outside the EM club and when I staggered out, one of them engaged me in a friendly game of "fistifcuffs." When I woke up, fat lip and two black eyes, I asked a friend if I had got any licks in......... He replied, "well, you hit the ground pretty good!" Damn MP and his little cute white helmet liner..... gonna find him yet......

Cousin Jack,

I was an MP, and I was there at that time.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:

Cousin Jack,

I was an MP, and I was there at that time.
Ahahahaha!

Well...... do you remember one night pounding on a good-looking Army Security Agency intelligence analyst? Kind of mouthy.......? Kind of drunk..............?

Might of been me..........:shock:

Didn't I get any blows in at all?

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Ahahahaha!

Well...... do you remember one night pounding on a good-looking Army Security Agency intelligence analyst? Kind of mouthy.......? Kind of drunk..............?

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Must have been some other AH. Security Agency intelligence analyst, not me. I was never out of line :dude::cheeky1::cheeky1:Nope not me, and I would have never put up with something like that, there were a lot of reasons to be drunk there.:rollingeyes:

Welcome home.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
Ahahahaha!

Must have been some other AH. Security Agency intelligence analyst, not me. I was never out of line :dude::cheeky1::cheeky1:Nope not me, and I would have never put up with something like that, there were a lot of reasons to be drunk there.:rollingeyes:

Welcome home.

Whew! Don't need any "late life" trouble.... and the MP wasn't out of line.... I was.

If I had been someone else and sober, I'd blacked my eyes, too!

:cheeky1:

Welcome home, yourself, brother, welcome home......

Crazy, warn't it?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ya can't spell wiMP without an MP.:D

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Code:
Ya can't spell wiMP without an MP.:D

:)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

From their website: Grade 2 Returned Edging- $7.00 per foot
The "Returned, Grade 2" edging is Micro-Swirl that has been used and returned. This edging may have blemishes and other markings. We inspect the edging to make sure that it is re-useable. Availability in 3,4 and 5 foot lengths only. This version of the edging cannot be returned for a refund.

You've got to wonder why they even advertise that they have returned material much less re-sell it. $7.00 a foot to boot......

Hobie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.