Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit around my garage thinking up crazy projects, I have wondered how much force is required to pull the clutch cable into the dis-engaged position. With the compound leverage on the clutch lever, it doesn't seem like that much, but take the cable out of the lever , and try pulling it....Wow !
So then comes the original question. Is there a statistic?
Thanks for bearing with me on this
quiet Covid fraught evening.
Edward

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
No measurements from here, and don't know which bike you are talking about.
They have been hydraulic for a goodly number of years, somewhere around 1984???

can't recall my '84 or '86, nor the '94 or the '98.

I know have a 2002 gl1800 which is also Hydraulic lines, not cables.
I going to guesstimate that the Clutch lever is about 12-15 pounds of pull?

the first one inch of travel does NOT take much of a pull, when shifting I can just barely "Tickle" the lever and it shifts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No measurements from here, and don't know which bike you are talking about.
They have been hydraulic for a goodly number of years, somewhere around 1984???

can't recall my '84 or '86, nor the '94 or the '98.

I know have a 2002 gl1800 which is also Hydraulic lines, not cables.
I going to guesstimate that the Clutch lever is about 12-15 pounds of pull?

the first one inch of travel does NOT take much of a pull, when shifting I can just barely "Tickle" the lever and it shifts.
Thanks..But what I'm asking is how much force on the cable , without the lever. That is pulling directly on the clutch cable.
My engine is a GL1000 ('79). I am designing an electric clutch device for my trike.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Why not add your motorcycle model to your signature so we don't have to guess each time you post and not list said model in the post.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
BEFORE, this current software came into being, I had the forum FORCE everyone to fill in their bike year and model...
but alas, that is not in effect anymore :(

if you want good answers, POST YOUR BIKE YEAR AND MODEL

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
my guess is close to 50

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Thanks..But what I'm asking is how much force on the cable , without the lever. That is pulling directly on the clutch cable.
My engine is a GL1000 ('79). I am designing an electric clutch device for my trike.
That is going to take quite a sizeable devise if you want it to work quickly. A better alternative if they make one for it would be a centrifugal clutch Rekluse | Performance Clutch Technology

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Just for convenience or do you have a disability. I am thinking a hydraulic clutch using engine oil pressure might be more suitable???? You could mount the hydraulic cylinder right in the hole where the cable enters the clutch housing. Eliminate the cable completely????

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None.... The clutch is engaged until you pull the lever to DIS-engage the clutch.....

Next Question........
Thanks Dave
I do know that, and my apologies for using the incorrect term. While I may make an occasional context error, I think everyone knew what information that I needed. I've attached a photo of my trike, mentioned earlier in this discussion. Not really being familiar with how to add a photo to my name. So if you have any positive suggestions, that would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for convenience or do you have a disability. I am thinking a hydraulic clutch using engine oil pressure might be more suitable???? You could mount the hydraulic cylinder right in the hole where the cable enters the clutch housing. Eliminate the cable completely????
Thank you. I did think of that , but it's not an available item for a '79 GL(1000), without a major rebuild of the entire clutch. It is available for later models.
My problem is that I am a very senior citizen, and , while I can use the clutch lever as is, I cannot hold it in for lengthy periods, as I would have to ,sitting in traffic, at a light, etc. So I would have to fish around for neutral, every stop. I have attached a photo of the interior of the trike, showing the shift lever on the gear stalk.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Been think about your issue and it seems like you could remount your cable and use a longer handle to relieve the the pressure on your hand,kinda like old emergency brake in the floor on an old truck,seeing what you have built in your photo that would be a task that would be easy for you, or maybe a left foot pedal if you have room,seems like electric would either off or in,no way to just ease away from a stop

Reactions: Fenton.Dale

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
+1 on the pedal with clutch cable hooked up to it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thank you. I did think of that , but it's not an available item for a '79 GL(1000), without a major rebuild of the entire clutch. It is available for later models.
My problem is that I am a very senior citizen, and , while I can use the clutch lever as is, I cannot hold it in for lengthy periods, as I would have to ,sitting in traffic, at a light, etc. So I would have to fish around for neutral, every stop. I have attached a photo of the interior of the trike, showing the shift lever on the gear stalk.
I see that you have brake pedal,maybe make that your clutch and add a brake pedal?

Reactions: Fenton.Dale

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well it looks like you have built your Motorcycle into a 3 wheel car. So why not set up the controls just like your car. Use your feet for Gas, Break and clutch and steer with your steering wheel. All of this was figured out a long time ago, as the best way to drive. Also shift with your hands, Feet are much stronger than hand grip for holding pressure Good Lucky and your car looks pretty cool. . Might look around a wrecking yard and find a set of pedals from and old VW might be a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
You must have just been aching for someone to ask the right question for you to post a picture. What a beauty! You should be proud. :cool:
As for the clutch issue. Why not fabricate some type of detent where you can disengage the clutch and have it lock in to a "detent?" Tractors use similar things where they apply the brake and actitae the detent to hold the tractor in place. Bump it and the detent disengages. Could that work for you? With the fabricating you have already done it seems this would be a piece of cake for you. Just my suggestion. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Would love to...Can you tell me how? Thanks
I uploaded your Trike pix to your Avatar.

I also fixed your Signature.
if you are using a cellphone, those things are difficult to manage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been think about your issue and it seems like you could remount your cable and use a longer handle to relieve the the pressure on your hand,kinda like old emergency brake in the floor on an old truck,seeing what you have built in your photo that would be a task that would be easy for you, or maybe a left foot pedal if you have room,seems like electric would either off or in,no way to just ease away from a stop
Thanks , Texas..When I built this, I really didn't leave room for a clutch pedal, which would have solved the problem. But then I didn't know it would be a problem, as I rode two wheels for more than 40 years, and never really thought about age being a problem. The longer handle would work, and is a good alternate idea. Would need to have a "depressed" center, so I could grip it.. Still working on the electric idea. The good thing about being retired, is I have plenty of time to play with ideas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I uploaded your Trike pix to your Avatar.

I also fixed your Signature.
if you are using a cellphone, those things are difficult to manage.
I , sigh, only have a flip phone. But I could not find the link to adding a photo to my signature . Thank you for that.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts