Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks interesting, for sure. I would think a momentary rocker switch would be more intuitive, but I'm sure it won't take long to get used to it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Looks interesting, for sure. I would think a momentary rocker switch would be more intuitive, but I'm sure it won't take long to get used to it.
It is momentary at each end. On-Off-On . The stops are automatic, I don't have to know where the cable is. Push one end, and it goes to first position. Push the other end, and it goes to second position. No guessing involved.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
That's pretty cool but you have engaged and disengaged backward. Engaged is when the clutch is connecting the engine to the transmission making the vehicle move, disengaged is when it disconnects the engine from the transmission.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
That's pretty cool but you have engaged and disengaged backward. Engaged is when the clutch is connecting the engine to the transmission making the vehicle move, disengaged is when it disconnects the engine from the transmission.
No I didn't . I wanted the clutch to engage at the top of the switch, because it would be the first reflex in an emergency to hit the top. That brings the green light on, telling me I can shift, or just sit in traffic without touching anything else. When I want to drive, I hit the bottom of the switch, the yellow light comes on, and I can move forward in gear. As I said in the paragraph of explanation, I may have made some technical mistakes in my narration, but the gadget is working exactly as I had planned.
Hope that clarifies a little.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
No I didn't . I wanted the clutch to engage at the top of the switch, because it would be the first reflex in an emergency to hit the top. That brings the green light on, telling me I can shift, or just sit in traffic without touching anything else. When I want to drive, I hit the bottom of the switch, the yellow light comes on, and I can move forward in gear. As I said in the paragraph of explanation, I may have made some technical mistakes in my narration, but the gadget is working exactly as I had planned.
Hope that clarifies a little.
No doubt it is working as planned but you still have the terms backward. You disengage the clutch to shift and stop, engage it to go.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Barry,
I know where your confusion is, or how it came about.

You are thinking in terms of "Activating the Clutch solenoid/motor" which pulls the Clutch Pressure Plate AWAY from the Pressure Plates.... thus the clutch is ACTUALLY DIS-ENGAGED, e.g. the motor is disconnected from the transmission.

with electricity, we work with Negatives a lot, and in your case, "Removing the electricity" from the Solenoid/Motor allows the Clutch Spring to apply pressure to the clutch plates........ therefore, allowing the engine to engage the transmission and the bike/trike moves forward.

If I understand how that is set up, and I am going by the Sounds in the video, you are using a motor and Reversing the Polarity to the motor, thus it moves in the opposite direction as you toggle the switch. You pretty much intimated that by saying it is a Double Pole, Double throw switch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Barry,
I know where your confusion is, or how it came about.

You are thinking in terms of "Activating the Clutch solenoid/motor" which pulls the Clutch Pressure Plate AWAY from the Pressure Plates.... thus the clutch is ACTUALLY DIS-ENGAGED, e.g. the motor is disconnected from the transmission.

with electricity, we work with Negatives a lot, and in your case, "Removing the electricity" from the Solenoid/Motor allows the Clutch Spring to apply pressure to the clutch plates........ therefore, allowing the engine to engage the transmission and the bike/trike moves forward.

If I understand how that is set up, and I am going by the Sounds in the video, you are using a motor and Reversing the Polarity to the motor, thus it moves in the opposite direction as you toggle the switch. You pretty much intimated that by saying it is a Double Pole, Double throw switch.

The motor only goes in one direction. It operates a cam, that rides two micro switches , which activate two relays. It's a fairly complicated circuit, and took weeks to work it out, so that it would come to a complete stop in each position. Pushing the same side of the rocker more than once in the same cycle, does nothing. Only the other side of the switch will activate at that point. That's why it should be fairly safe. I am posting a photo of the internals, here. The tags tend to obscure the wiring, but you can see how this all works.
Electric clutch5.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The motor only goes in one direction. It operates a cam, that rides two micro switches , which activate two relays. It's a fairly complicated circuit, and took weeks to work it out, so that it would come to a complete stop in each position. Pushing the same side of the rocker more than once in the same cycle, does nothing. Only the other side of the switch will activate at that point. That's why it should be fairly safe. I am posting a photo of the internals, here. The tags tend to obscure the wiring, but you can see how this all works. View attachment 324708
Here's the motor side:
Electric clutch1.jpg

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Kudos for a good application there.
I have seen those motors before, been a long time though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Kudos for a good application there.
I have seen those motors before, been a long time though.
The motor itself, is a Jeep wiper motor. All of the other mechanicals were hand made. I had to take almost three feet out of the clutch cable, which was a bit of a trick.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Tee Hee,
since it is a "Wiper Motor", what happens if you set it to "Intermittant Mode" :sneaky:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Tee Hee,
since it is a "Wiper Motor", what happens if you set it to "Intermittant Mode" :sneaky:
Cute ! But this type motor would be separately controlled by an electronic delay circuit. It does not contain its own. There are two normal types of wiper motors. One has an enclosed "park" feature. One does not.. This one does not have that. It is actually a rear window wiper motor.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Best way to find out if you still have a pull lever. Get a luggage or fishing scale, hook it over the lever and give a pull! Now I will have to do that to my 1500 wing and see what the pull is. I know it is not over 10 pounds as even my grand kids can pull it when they used to sit on the bike and pretend they were driving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Best way to find out if you still have a pull lever. Get a luggage or fishing scale, hook it over the lever and give a pull! Now I will have to do that to my 1500 wing and see what the pull is. I know it is not over 10 pounds as even my grand kids can pull it when they used to sit on the bike and pretend they were driving.
The question had to do with how many pounds pull on the clutch, , not how much force to pull in the lever. Some estimates of lever force are about 16 to 20 lbs, but that is the result of compound leverage, against the fixed end of the cable, at the lever. If you really want to know how much force to get the clutch cable moving, remove the cable, at the lever, and try to pull the cable. You won't be able to, unless you are a professional weight lifter. I have read that the clutch springs take about 350lbs to compress them.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts